Archinect
anchor

How does one ask one to verify skills on LinkedIn (and does it matter?)

Frank_Lloyd_Wrong

Hi everyone,

As I've been job hunting, I've been thinking of ways to make my LinkedIn profile look better to potential employers.  I'd imagine one way to be if various people from various organizations have verified my software skills, but it sounds incredibly awkward to do so, and the other obvious way to do it would be to verify their skills first (again, awkward, especially if that person was my superior).  Thoughts?

May 8, 20 4:32 pm
Frank_Lloyd_Wrong

Edit:  switch "verify" for "endorse."

May 8, 20 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Linkedin does not matter.

May 8, 20 4:42 pm  · 
7  · 
newbie.Phronesis

Usually endorse someone's (a connection, not randomnly...) skills, then hope they have courtesy to do it back

May 8, 20 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

it's total junk. i have an uncountable number of endorsements for skills i don't have or want from product reps, interns, and random contacts hoping to get some attention.

May 8, 20 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

midlander is endorsed by 4 colleagues for drug smuggling and 2 colleagues for thoracic surgery.

May 8, 20 10:26 pm  · 
5  · 
x-jla

I canceled my LinkedIn.  It was mostly colleagues keeping tabs on me.  

May 8, 20 9:53 pm  · 

Don't flatter yourself - no one cares about you.

May 11, 20 11:49 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Your mom was on there trying to dm me.

May 11, 20 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

I doubt it. Not even your own mother would try an DM with you.

May 11, 20 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

I do google people I'm thinking of interviewing or hiring, to see what kind of online presence they have, good or bad.  It's pretty typical for a LinkedIn profile to be the first or second things that comes up, so I do think there's some value in having one, to confirm/reiterate the info that you want people to know about you.  Also if I see that we have any connections in common I might ask those people if they have any thoughts about your candidacy.

But the endorsements feature is meaningless, because anybody can endorse you for anything, and everyone knows it's mostly just a game of people endorsing you either because they're hoping that you'll do it back for them, or they want to butter you up for their sales pitch.  My most prolific endorser is a a former faculty member who vaguely knew me when I was in college 20+ years ago - but I never even took any of his classes back then, so how much could he know about my skills then, let alone now?  I have lots of endorsements from product reps who I guess are trying to suck up to me or get my attention so that I'll put their products in our work.  I have hundreds of endorsements - some for skills I don't have at all and things that I've never done - so I know not to take them seriously on anybody else's profiles either, and would never assume that they meant anything one way or the other about your actual software skills. Also I don't particularly care about software skills at all.

May 9, 20 10:07 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: