Archinect
anchor

Lenovo P1 vs Gigabyte AERO. Which one to choose?

Trying to decide. Will use it for Architecture (drafting CAD, Revit and Rendering Rhino + Vray) plus editing photos and occasionally video. Need good screen. Both are around $1600 (used) Specs:

Gigabyte AERO 15.6" OLED, i7-9750H, 16GB RAM 512GB SSD, RTX 2060

ThinkPad P1 Gen 2 Workstation 4K IPS i7-9750H, T2000,32G RAM

Its a game between which graphic card would work better and additional ram. Advice?

Feb 28, 20 6:01 pm
Non Sequitur

You're splitting hairs here but pretty sure both have 512gb ssd, which once you factor in OS, adobe, and Autodesk installs, will be 50% full. 

You can make good renderings with any mid-tier gaming PC.  Sure, they are bulky and have 0 battery life, but they are 17" and have plenty of active cooling.  I would value cooling power over screen quality everytime.  Just buy a 4k desktop monitor and plug it in if you're really picky about it and save the extra cash for a non-used rig.

also, you're buying used? Damn...  side note, I am still amazed by folks in our industry who are hardware illiterate.  Happens all the time in my office... people don't know anything about the tools they use or think faster PC means better renderings.  

Feb 28, 20 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Gigabyte has 512 GB while Thinkpad 512 + 1TB. Also yes, used, and I dont think there is anything wrong with that if it saves me 1k. Fast CPU and lots of RAM is great for drafting, and while I dont do any super realistic rendering and often use Photoshop for that purpose im questioning the Quadro card vs more powerful RTX, but with less ram and storage...

Feb 28, 20 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I just bought a Lenovo P1/Gen 2 with 32gigs, Zeon processor - it easily handles large 300 unit Revit residential projects

Feb 28, 20 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

how much was it? did you go for the 4k screen? and are you happy with the choose over say a gaming laptop with more powerfull card

Mar 1, 20 1:26 am  · 
 · 
zonker

has 4K screen, cost $2,200 - Lenovo direct

Mar 1, 20 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: