Archinect
anchor

EXAC 2020

Nina S

Hi everyone, 

Happy new year and hope you all the best in 2020. 

My main new year resolution is make a commitment to study for Exac and pass all 4 in one shot. This is my first time I would write this exam. Please let me know if anybody else wants to start studying since now and make a big success at the end. 

Thanks

Jan 2, 20 4:39 pm
OneLostArchitect

best of luck... there are a few canucks on here...

Jan 2, 20 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Nina S

Thanks

Jan 3, 20 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^correct, there are a few of us floating around.

I’ve already repeated myself several times already, but I’ll say it again: these are not design to be « studied » for.   anyone who took their IDP time seriously should be able to pass without cramming. 

Jan 2, 20 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Safa

Start reading the CHOP, RAIC Doc 6 and 9, and CCDC 2 from now... they'll come handy in a study group.

Don't overwhelm yourself with too many study notes from different sources. A study group will help big time close to the exam time, you'll see people asking for it in the next few months after the 2019 ExAC results are out.

I did a course (simply exam) close to the exam time as well where they summarized all ExAC key objectives within 4-5 days 2 years ago and it did help me as well.

The ExAC wasn't hard after all but it's comprehensive and require a lot of reading.

Good luck! :)

Jan 3, 20 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You do not need to spend $1300(cad) on preparation exams.  Equally important to note is that there is NO supported prep course or guides.  Simply Exam is a for-profit business with no ties to the ExAC.  

Jan 3, 20 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Safa

I don't understand what is it with you! You harassed me last year on the same topic when I shared my experience! No one said they are tied to the ExAC! they even have it on their site that they are not affiliated nor endorsed by the ExaC committee. I know the architect that started it who was doing it for free for the past decade until it became a burden with increasing students number every year, so he partnered up with another architect and made 5 days workshop to help interns (like me) that are stuck between "curriculum-less" mentorship program and a commercially driven supervisor who wants to make the most out of my wage. Nonetheless, certainly you don't need to spend money to pass the ExAC... I shared my experience hoping to help a fellow Intern as I was in her shoes at some point in time.

Jan 3, 20 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nothing wrong with me and adding a dose of reality to the conversation is not harassment. But there is something wrong with exploitation and one should not have to pay for 3rd party guides that have no connection whatsoever to the examination. If one feels un-prepared to take the tests, then good. That's a sign they need more experience in practice, not more study.

Jan 3, 20 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Safa

Oh, please "dose of reality"....!!?? How about you offer some useful feedback? go back to your previous replies throughout the years and see your comments type... Only Blank statements with no help whatsoever! "https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150098876/exac-exam-2019-study-group" and "https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150066217/exac-exam-2018-study-group" and so on...... Why don't you tell people how to navigate the NBC, help them on how to read RAIC documents and what are the important terms..... offer something... anything other than harassment! I really don't care about prep course, screw them if an intern has been practicing enough in a positive office then no one needs any course to pass. If you feel supremacist against those entering the profession then you should set your resolution for 2020 to be helpful instead of a cyberbully.

Jan 3, 20 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nice story. Unfortunately, it's incorrect. I've helped plenty here, most of it offline and outside of the forum setting. Too many want freebies without making the effort. They get snark instead.

Jan 3, 20 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Nina S

Thanks

Jan 3, 20 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Rasi

I am studying for exAC 2020 and exam is schedule on February2021 next month. I have hard time to find preparation materials for National building code of Canada. How could I get prepare for this? Please advice. Thank you Rasi

Jan 18, 21 11:14 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

Ravi, the prep material is the nbc itself. You will need a copy for one of the tests too. Read it.

Jan 19, 21 5:04 am  · 
 · 
Nina S

Thanks guys for all of your point of views and experiences. I know it's a little too soon to arrange a study group but I believe by having gathering around and sharing we can motivate each other to keep reading and don't be bored or tired. 

Jan 3, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Nina S

I totally agree with Safa, in the Exac 2019 I simply asked somebody else to advise me which reference i'd better start reading with and your response is not only unrelated to my question but also trying to disappoint me. It's either somethings wrong with you or you  suffer from  having skill of communication with ppl.  

Jan 3, 20 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

References are listed on the Exac site in their guide... and searching the forum would have revealed this as well.

Jan 3, 20 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
tayyabfaheem

so. no update on study group?

Mar 11, 20 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The best study groups are the ones you form with your local colleagues. Find peers and old classmates with varying types of projects and experience and talk it out over a few beers. The ExACs are practice based, not memorization tests.

Mar 11, 20 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
consuelovancaeneghem

Does anyone have any ideia if we are going to have ExAC 2020? The only thing that we have for now is the image attached :(

Apr 13, 20 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Too early to make a call since the exams are in November. Plenty of time between now and end of registration for things to get better... or worse.

Apr 13, 20 11:59 am  · 
 · 
mmegahed

Hi, I wonder if there is study group for EXAC 2020?

Jun 14, 20 8:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This gets asked here often... same answer every time: not really since there are few active users who are also Canadian intern architects. There are some that try to pimp out prep courses tho but these have no formal link to the ExACs. Please remember that these exams do not have guides or question examples available like the American tests. They are different because they are based on practical knowledge and, if you took the IDP process seriously, should not require studying... although do read your NBC (both columns) and CHOP books.

Jun 15, 20 7:02 am  · 
 · 
frederickajjoub

Hello everyone ! Life is becoming back to normal !

Would you like to plan a group study soon for the EXAC Exam?

Jun 24, 20 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

see my answer to the previous comment. There are a few Canadian architects active here but barely any interns outside of the one-post ponies that pop up exclusively in ExAC study group discussions.

Jun 24, 20 8:32 pm  · 
1  · 
frederickajjoub

Hello ! Nice meeting you and thank you for your quick answer,

It seems from the comments we are 5 interns who would like to plan a study group. Do you think we could arrange a meeting?

Have a nice day

Jun 24, 20 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Arch89

Hello everybody, I am interested in a study group for Exac 2020. If you already started one or you’re  willing to start please let me know. I am very committed to seriously prepare for Exac 2020. 

Thank you

Jul 7, 20 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

preparation for the ExAc should have started on your first day outside of school.

Jul 8, 20 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Everyone asking if others will make a group, instead of just starting one and inviting others.

In other words, typical architect approach. You'll do fine :)

Jul 8, 20 4:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Gloominati

Non Sequitur, I think you could start a profitable ExAc test prep program!  Collect tuition, open zoom meeting, commence Lesson 1:  "You Shouldn't Need to Study for These Tests".   You can upsell them optional study guides (make a 40-page pdf of as many lengthy ways to say that as needed to fill the space), flash cards, etc.

Jul 8, 20 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Excellent idea. Alll I need to do is copy/past a handful of my replies in these threads and add filler graphics. Maybe a clip art vector of a t square for extra flair.

Jul 8, 20 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Also use the guy with hard hat and roll of drawings, pointing at something.

Jul 8, 20 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
eric7

Anyone interested in an Ottawa study group or possible zoom session?  Private message me for details (if possible, new to this forum)

Sep 10, 20 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Musee

Hi

Please contact me I am also interested in a study group for EXAC 2020

I can create a zoom group if everybody is agree.

Thank you

Sep 16, 20 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
Rasi

I am interested to join study group and currently studying for exAC. Please contact me or send your contact.

Jan 18, 21 11:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: