Archinect
anchor

Rammed earth workshop - worth it?

ryanyoung

I'm working on a rammed earth home design and have been in discussions with Quentin Branch about attending his workshops in Oracle, AZ. Does anyone know of these and have any comments for or against attending? I definitely need to learn a lot more about this construction technique and don't think it's likely I'd walk away ready to build, but it seems like it could provide some valuable insight.

Aug 13, 19 5:26 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 4 Comments

arch76

Do you have a link to the workshop? What specifically are you trying to learn? The nice things with workshops is you always walk away with something- If it's in Oracle, it'll at least be a tan.

Aug 13, 19 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
ryanyoung

rammedearthhomes.com

Aug 14, 19 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Looks like a fun weekend thing albeit a little too hippy new-agey for me.  Side note, how well do these things perform when you have your annual snowfall is 10' or more?

Aug 14, 19 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

There's a reason why you don't see them except for the american desert. We did some "rammed earth" in Atlanta GA at the zoo, but it was really just concrete with an interesting mix design including local clays for color.

Aug 14, 19 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My snow comment was not serious... We have igloos that fit that typology. 8-)

Aug 14, 19 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Do your due diligence to confirm that his crew actually did the work shown in the photos, and you get the hands on experience you want, but yes, for $750, if I were way closer, it looks like a fun weekend.

Aug 14, 19 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Wahooarchitect

Quentin and Julie know rammed earth as well as anybody in this country.  I participated in a weekend seminar back in the 70s...yep, the 70s....held at that time out on Tucson International Airport grounds.  He has been building with rammed earth here in Arizona a long time, and has a lot of experience to share.  I've visited his house and gardens, and he built a rammed earth house I designed in Catalina AZ in the early 80s.  So, while I haven't taken the latest version of his weekend seminars, (which are now tailored more toward the DIY builder from what I understand), I don't think you could find a better instructor.

Aug 19, 19 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: