Archinect
anchor

Goodbye Adobe...Hello Affinity?

Michael Friebele

I have heard of a number of firms choosing to switch their workflow from Adobe to Affinity. 

The rationale seems to be cost based, with some saying Adobe has increased their cost by as much as 400%. As far as workflow, I have heard mixed reactions.

If you have made the switch, or use Affinity, what are your thoughts?

Jul 29, 19 3:56 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 10 Comments

Non Sequitur

Are you by chance a sales rep for Affinity?  Never heard of them.

Jul 29, 19 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Gee, ya think?

Jul 29, 19 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

A quick Google search shows a Senior Associate with CallisonRTKL by the same name. Still never heard of Affinity, and I don't really feel like Googling them too.

Jul 29, 19 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Michael Friebele

Correct and no, I am not a sales associate. There is a talk of a switch on our end.

I use the Adobe Suite a lot and am concerned by the transition. Was curious as to others who may have used it.

Jul 29, 19 5:55 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Goodbye spam...hello oblivion.

Jul 29, 19 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

1. If the goal is to get (almost) the same functionality as Adobe for less $$, why not just use the free GIMP, Inkscape, etc.?

2. While there are other apps than can do more-or-less the same things as the software you're used to, there will always be differences in the way they do it, meaning there will always be a learning curve. Consider whether the saving on the free/cheap software is worth the loss of productivity while your staff gets up to speed with the new software (as well as most new hires not knowing it for the foreseeable future). I goofed around with lots of free & cheap solutions right up until I actually needed to do a project profitably - then I happily bought the "name brand" software and haven't looked back.

Jul 29, 19 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

I've looked at Affinity but haven't tried it yet. Reviews comparing the various modules to Adobe are generally positive, especially for the price ($50). They have a free trial, too. Well worth a look.

Jul 29, 19 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Wut?

Jul 29, 19 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
TED

I am testing Affinity right now - Plan to dump Indesign on subscription basis - £200/year verses buying Affinity Publisher/Photo/design outright for £72 outright(discounted).  Affinity has a deal on right now 50% off til 20 June - free version is 90 Day - 

Anyone using Affinity?

May 29, 20 5:37 am  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

I’ve used Affinity Design and Affinity Photo as tool for hobbies. I’ve only used photoshop minimally and am very put off by their subscription based payment method. I’m sure there are things Adobe can do that Affinity can’t, but for $50 Affinity can do quite a lot. In the right hands I could see if being a contender for Adobe products. They also have several helpful videos on ways to use their product on their website. 

I’m not a shill (I will accept money though Affinity). I just enjoy the product and despise subscriptions. 

May 29, 20 6:58 am  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

Anything that takes business away from Adobe and Autodesk sounds good to me.  Subscription software sucks.

May 29, 20 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Are cracks and torrents still a thing? I remember having a Demonoid invite back in the day was like having the black Visa card...

May 29, 20 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is Limewire still a thing? Anyone remember Kazaa?

May 29, 20 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Think Limewire's gone and yes I do remember Kazaa or KaZaA!

May 29, 20 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

What software are you going to use when Affinity's prices match Adobe's, after dominating the market?

May 29, 20 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

There will be a different Affinity then. If the market for it exists then the product will always be there.

May 30, 20 12:40 am  · 
1  · 
TED

Just canceled my Adobe to go to affinity now - Adobe gave me 2 more months so fine with that - 

Using IDMarkZ to open Indesign (CC to CS4) in Affinty - for about £120 full purchase. .   Adobe is a great package but the ticket is too high for my use -

Jun 1, 20 5:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: