Archinect
anchor

requirement of architects in US

archi_30

Which field of designing have higher scope for job there in US? (graphic designer/ interior/ architect/ planner,etc)

Jun 26, 19 11:32 am
Non Sequitur

That's a pretty broad question.

Why don't you focus your studies on a subject you're passionate about (or good at) instead of focusing on on available jobs?

Jun 26, 19 11:46 am  · 
 · 

LOL. It wasn't that long ago people were telling passionate newbies asking for advice on how to get into architecture to abandon their passion because of low pay/no jobs/terrible work environment/etc.

Jun 26, 19 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But I typically don't offer that POV on the profession... but the OP is most certainly going to be disappointed if they can't tell apart graphic design from a M.Arch.

Jun 26, 19 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry, I should have specified that I'm not laughing at your response, nor accusing you of changing viewpoints, just laughing at how things have generally changed in a few years where it used to be "forget passion, go into something that lets you pay bills."

Jun 26, 19 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I am passionate about many things. Most are not related to my day-job as an architect... but those things that are, annoy the living fuck out of my wife and friends. 8-)

Jun 26, 19 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

NS, this thread was resurrected by archinect today. Check out how OneLostArchitect, geezertect, and others responded to a very thoughtful post from a first time poster just over a year ago. 

I'd upvote both your response here as well as in that thread. I just laughed because I was expecting a barrage of the other type of responses.

Jun 26, 19 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks EI, I do remember that discussion but did know it turned into such a dumpster fire.

Jun 26, 19 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

What exactly do you mean by "higher scope for job"? 
There are so many factors:   There are far more graphic designer jobs than architect jobs - but there are also far more people competing for them.  Architecture is typically more drastically impacted by the ups and downs of the construction industry.  Interior designers usually start to feel the impact of a recession sooner than most architects do, but on average are less drastically affected (this is because of the relative scales/scopes of their projects, and the sequence of how design trends and phases occur - it's too complicated to get into here - you should read some books on economics and design if you really care about these things.) Architects tend to be seen as more useful as they age, up to a point (there's an oft-quoted rule of thumb that most architects don't even reach full competence in the field until their mid 50s) while the graphic design field is so driven by youth culture that designers fret at being less employable by 28.  A large % of planners work in government jobs, which insulates some of them better from economic trends, though nobody is truly recession-proof - but many planners have very low salaries, especially those employed outside of major cities. 

If this is related to your past thread on where to get a masters, it sounds like maybe you should get a job first and find out whether you like working in one of these fields, have any aptitude at it, and what you care about doing.

Jun 26, 19 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: