Help a writer with a vocabulary question.


Hi everyone!

I'm basing a setting in a novel on Castle Hill in Ipswich, MA. I will attach a floor plan. I've been searching all day for what you call these two parts of the mansion that jut out from the main house. On the numbered floor plan, they are 3 and 6. On the labeled floor plan, they are the library and the dining room.

So if my character is describing the location of the dining room, she would say its in the western ___.

Any help is very much appreciated!

May 16, 19 1:32 pm

Just wing it. 

May 16, 19 1:34 pm

Two symmetrical parts that jut out from the body... I'd call those boobies. Also, do we get honorable mentions in your novel if it becomes a NY times bestseller?

May 16, 19 2:25 pm
( o Y o )

I am unable to come up with a witty response sufficient to effectively address such multifaceted stupidity. 

May 16, 19 2:55 pm
Wood Guy

I try to know the correct terms for building components but I can't think of a specific term for protruding elements such as these. There is a New England vernacular term, "ell," but that's generally used for less-formal additions to a primary structure.  

May 16, 19 3:10 pm

Thanks, guys. If I go with "boobies," do I get to go snipe hunting?

I did consider "wing" but that would be each side of the building off the central area, wouldn't it?

Maybe I'll use "ell."

Thanks again!

May 16, 19 4:54 pm

It's not a wing.  Why not just say the west side of the house?

May 16, 19 4:58 pm

Because it's a separate part of the building. There's a whole other part that's on the west side.

May 17, 19 3:14 am

Well, in case anyone was curious, apparently the design is based on Ham House, in the UK, and they call them octagonal towers. :)

May 17, 19 8:47 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: