Archinect
anchor

Disillusionment: WTF am I doing here in Europe.

Pandekage

Having a bit of an existential crisis about my professional path and wanted to get your input on this. So I'm an American with an accredited M. Arch. degree from the states, and eligible (but haven't started) for licensure.

Two years ago I had a bit of wanderlust, and thought that getting an additional masters abroad might be nice and allow me to work in Europe, and thus recently I graduated with a M. Sc. of Architecture from a German uni and am working at an office here.

However, back then I had the (unrealistic) image of someday having a jetsetting position in architecture, flying between offices in the US and Europe. Having taken a closer look it seems that, save some specialized positions in marketing/management in international firms, it just isn't likely - standards are too different, work too regionalized. My family is all in the US, and I've realized I don't want to be too separate from them (despite the better vacation allotment in the EU).

So the question is, is there a path for me, as basically a junior architect, from the European side to climb towards a position allowing for travel between the US and Europe? And for someone who ultimately wants to return stateside and practice architecture, does it make any sense to continue working in Germany (besides personal/cultural reasons)? Or should I cut my losses and go home?

Apr 21, 19 5:42 am
Pandekage

edit: I have an accredited B. Arch. from the US and recently M. Sc. Architecture from Germany.

Apr 21, 19 5:43 am
archinet

Sounds like you do not want to be in Germany- if that is the case just leave. I have heard of European architects working in the states, so prolly you could get a job in the states. Maybe you should work for an office that has a presence in the US and Germany or another EU country, perhaps you can research that and apply to such an office? Jet setting around here and there as a junior designer seems unrealistic from my perspective- perhaps you can do that when you are more senior, but I have never seen that with junior architects. If you want to eventually live in the states I would go back and build a career there.   

Apr 21, 19 6:24 am
TED

Work for an international practice in Germany - have a look at BuroHappold which is Eng/Arch - I know they are looking in Berlin -

Germany is recognised for advanced fabrication and environmental - 

If there is a US licensed Arch in your practice no reason not to start hitting tick boxes for licensure - 

I don't know the nationalisation rules in Germany but if you can hold out and become a nationalised German gives you plenty of opportunity to work in the EU in the future - Believe the more passports you can collect, the more opportunity to future proof your career in a very uncertain world - 

think your just home sick or your spending too much time around expats in Germany 

Apr 21, 19 8:21 am
curtkram

sounds like you want to spend a lot of time sitting in airports and customs? 

Apr 21, 19 6:49 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: