Germany/USA - title of Architect despite not being licensed?


A quick two-parter question for you all. So as an American I recently finished grad school in Germany and am working full time at an office here, and recently got business cards with the title "Architekt M.A." (Architect, M.A.)

- I'll ask my colleagues come Monday, but any German or European architects here that could clarify what the correct use of the title of Architect is? Is it loosely applied, or only for registered architects (i.e. with Architektenkammer)?

- And the second part: If I were to fly back to the US to visit, and go around networking and pass out some business cards, would I encounter some trouble via US AIA standards for using the incorrect title of Architect, even though they conform to German standards?

Apr 13, 19 4:28 pm

Not sure about the German side, sounds reasonable. For the US side, definitely do not allude to being a capital-A Architect until you've received a license from the state board. Full stop.

Apr 13, 19 8:32 pm

Sounds good, so no disseminating German business cards while on holiday in the US?




Do not call yourself an architect in the US unless you are licensed there. You can call yourself an architect on your "business" card in Germany but so long as your are not registered in the Kammer and do not have a Kammer license number on your card everybody basically knows that you are architect but not a licensed architect. Make sense? 

Apr 14, 19 4:30 am

Calling and working as is two different things. Obviously you cant stamp or work as an architect where you're not licensed. Is Gehry suddenly not an architect in Europe? Is Foster not an architect in the the minute he lands in NYC?? This goes way too far.

Apr 15, 19 5:41 am

I guess then this begs the question of why the oped would go around the US handing out business cards stating that he is an architect, seeing that the title is so coveted there? I think the oped might give the wrong impression by doing so. It would be different if he would just refer to himself as an architect when in the US in conversation. Handing out business cards implies that he wants a job or is advertising his services or his office or something. Nobody would care in Europe if his business card said architect. If I were not licensed anywhere I would heed with caution in the US.


I'd say he can hand out what he wants, and just clarify he isn't a licensed architect in the USA and would need to team up to get drawings stamped - should that come up in conversation. Architekt M.A means you have an architectural masters degree - I don't even think it means you are an Architect in Germany. 

Anyway - its not Architect even written in English, so the difference should be rather obvious...

Architect is a protected title in Europe just as it is in America - so if your office is using it in this manner then they should be doing it correctly.

Master of Arts (MA) 

Master of Science (M.Sc.) 

Master of Engineering (M.Eng.)

Apr 15, 19 7:51 am

No- Architekt in Germany means you are a Architekt. But it does not mean you are a licensed Architekt, if you were licensed in Germany you would state on a business card i.e.: Architekt, Dip Ing, Architekenkammer Berlin no.xxxxx. You are absolutely allowed to use the title Architekt, it just does not necessarily mean you are a licensed Architekt. That is how it works here


Architect is not a protected title in Denmark, and everyone can stamp drawings and submit them. So this is not a general rule throughout Europe. 

Apr 15, 19 11:03 am

weird- in NL its protected

Apr 15, 19 11:18 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: