OneLostArchitect

what is fe ?

Feb 8, 19 8:43 pm
Steeplechase

Fantasy Engineer

OneLostArchitect

Like Fantasy Football?

RickB-Astoria

Fundamental of Engineering exam. Those seeking to become licensed as Professional Engineers are required to take the FE exam to attain some sort of "Engineering Intern" or "EIT" status. Many states, you get your engineering degree or a certain number of years of experience in lieu of a degree (pre-EIT experience), then you take the FE exam to attain the "EIT" status (engineering intern or engineer in training status) then work an additional number of years gaining more complex level of experience in engineering. Once all the years attained at EIT level is done, you would take the PE exam. This is basically the model law. Each state may vary in details of when you may take the FE and the subsequent PE exams in the discipline of engineering you are seeking licensure in.

Generally, a person is not required to have any years of experience prior to taking the FE exam IF they have the accredited degree(s) fulfilling the education requirements. If you have just an associates degree or no qualifying degree then you will have to make up the difference by experience. If the education attained gives you zero years of credit then you have to either attain the qualifying degree or work the full prescribed number of years based solely on high school diploma *IF* the particular state allows a person without a qualifying degree to even get licensed. 

This is how it is customarily done. I don't know of ANY state that allows a person with zero qualifying education or any person with partial educational credit for a two year degree in an approved program or whatever to take the FE exam with zero experience in lieu of degree prerequisite requirements. Almost always there is some defined number of years of experience required if you don't have a Bachelors degree in an approved engineering degree program. It would be news to me from my understanding. YOU WILL HAVE TO GAIN SOME PRESCRIBED NUMBER OF YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AFTER PASSING THE F.E. EXAM BEFORE YOU MAY TAKE THE P.E. EXAM.

I'll note that I am not up on the current requirements in states given but it would seem unusual that they would deviate too far from NCEES model laws. They may deviate in that you don't have to complete all EIT experience prior to beginning to take the PE exam(s). 

Feb 9, 19 1:44 am
RickB-Astoria

http://dmbinternet.state.mi.us...

This might be worth reading Jawknee...

Feb 9, 19 1:48 am
RickB-Astoria

Generally speaking and nearly universal in all states, if you have a qualifying Bachelors degree in an engineering curriculum granting full credit by the board, you will be permitted to take the F.E. exam upon graduation (some states may allow you to take the F.E. exam in your last year, semester, or term or something along that line). You then will need to attain 4 YEARS of qualifying experience substantively on an EIT level kind of experience versus lower level technical experiences that are less sophisticated. The intent is the experience at EIT level is more advance progressing towards the level of experience preparing a person for independent engineering judgement level expected of a P.E. 

Once you pass the required PE exams, you file for application for licensure and pay the fees and whatever else you maybe required to take or do. 

I am not aware of any place where you can take the F.E. exam with zero degree or experience working for an engineer at a pre-EIT level. You still need to something like 4 YEARS of experience as an EIT (or alternate terms used by the particular states) before taking the PE exam(s) (Principles of Engineering exam(s)). 

Feb 9, 19 2:00 am
JBeaumont

There are 15 states with various schemes for taking the PE exams early.  Several are decoupled states, which just means that eligibility to take the exams is entirely separate from experience requirements.  Naturally this doesn't mean you can immediately get licensed with no experience just because you passed the FE and PE exams - it just means you can potentially pass all the exams before you tackle the experience requirement. 

Feb 9, 19 4:39 pm
RickB-Astoria

Thank you. Can you by any chance provide a URL to that information?

JBeaumont

RickB-Astoria is ignored by you.

chigurh

is the OP trying to get a PE?  Those are difficult exams for engineering students (FE/EIT) and practicing engineers sitting for the PE.  I would assume these would be very difficult for an architect without the education or engineering practice background.  

Feb 10, 19 10:50 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: