Archinect
anchor

General Chatter

RickB-Astoria

Thread to shoot the breeze on just about anything short of getting yourself banned.

Feb 4, 19 12:35 am

2 Featured Comments

All 18 Comments

citizen

Feb 4, 19 12:38 am
RickB-Astoria

Maybe someone can move Sneaky Pete's post about THEC64 here.

Feb 4, 19 12:58 am
randomised

There's TC already :)

Feb 4, 19 3:25 am
JawkneeMusic

it seems like I got over it and now architecture is so easy isn't there something more difficult that I should be doing

Feb 4, 19 2:19 pm
Non Sequitur

I guess it's easier to claim victory over something you've never done than it is to... you know... actually do it. Damn millennials.

JLC-1

talk to your therapist, he will know what you should do next. he's got the instructions to your life, not us.

tduds

Leave millennials out of this.

Non Sequitur

Sometimes the lowest hanging fruit is the tastiest.

Non Sequitur

Ricky, what are you looking for?

There are no kangaroos here.

Feb 4, 19 2:25 pm
jla-x

I spoke with Steve Bushemi. He said he’s still interested in that movie.

Non Sequitur

I’m sure we can get funding for it in no time.

JLC-1

ok, I'll bite - If Kamala Harris becomes the presidential candidate, I'm seriously planning on moving away from the US. It would be just another 2016 but on steroids.

Feb 5, 19 5:24 pm
Rusty!

Nobody would want you dude. Plus there will be walls on both borders.

tduds

Sexism dies hard.

RickB-Astoria

Citizen and Sponty,

I'll point a brief comment about what you two said on TC.

1. It's your personal observations and opinions. We live in a country where we can have that. Thank F---ing God. 

2. It would be better to be able to comment directly, back on the same thread and I agree with SneakPete on the point made in a response to you Citizen & Sponty (possibly replying to both of you).

3. There is a good principle that we should strive to adhere to from Book of John, Chapter 8, Verses 1-11:

John 8 King James Version (KJV)

Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.

And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.

And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

So before casting stones against a person of perceived sins (note: sin is sin regardless of the type), be sure to check yourself that you have not committed any sin in your thoughts, words, or actions (deeds). So if you have your own baggage, be careful as you risk your own deeds, words, and perhaps even thoughts can come back and be used against you as well.

If you are not pure and without fault of your own be careful of calling others who are not pure and without faults of their own on their faults and impurity. For you will be no more than a pot calling the kettle black.

While we have the freedom to speak our thoughts and opinions largely without governmental persecution but that in not immunity from other consequences. Perhaps, we all can take more care in what we say and do and hopefully also in what we think. 

Now grace and peace be with you.

Feb 7, 19 1:03 am
citizen

As I noted in TC, I've got my own baggage, faults, and frailties which are certainly fair game for commentary, so feel free. 

Regarding the casting of stones for perceived sins, "regardless of the type," perhaps we could start with harassment of a recent grad asking about business cards.

RickB-Astoria

You got me on that one. We probably all could do better (myself included) to employing the principle noted above better so we aren't being dick heads to each other or anything like that. At least we can hope it would help towards that ideal.

placebeyondthesplines__

i see this has become a thread about balkins’ imaginary friends, a new low

randomised

So, is GC really just a workaround to discuss what's posted on TC? 

Feb 7, 19 3:35 am
RickB-Astoria

Anything else that comes to mind including that. Preferably, I prefer to discuss what's on TC on TC. However, I wouldn't want to discuss what is said on TC on threads that are more topic specific. Someone blocked my posting on TC because of a differing opinions on a specific topic that was inherently controversial in any case. I had my concerns about the particular topic including abusing the #metoo movement and turning it into a #persecuteallmen and making #makingmenintowomenbyneuteringeverythingthatismasculine

RickB-Astoria

I have problems with "man-hating" not if a person is lesbian or whatever. I also believe in a justice system where everyone shall be presumed innocent until proven guilty in competent judicial setting. So that all people are given a fair chance to defend their name from false claims as well as proper standards of proving claims. This is not to say that allegations should not be taken seriously but also with judicial care under the same principle of innocence until proven guilty so prejudice to favoring accusation without responsible standard of proof doesn't run rampant. 

I see overzealous problems happening today that outright undermines civilization as a whole especially this country. If it continues, this country WILL break apart after possibly another civil war. I can't predict when or with absolute certainty of if because there are still opportunities to change course but the logical progression of a nation dividing and deunification of people will corrode our nation's foundation especially when the people are so apathetic and not giving a f--- about the country's future.

RickB-Astoria

This forum is a privately owned forum so it isn't exactly bound by the U.S. Constitution but by the grace of the site owner much akin to that of being in someone's home. As forum users, we are guests to the site owner's forum. Everything is a privilege. We may debate and argue but ultimately we are guests. Sure, I probably could just as easily create another account and probably gain access to TC, but I don't. However, I given my response to the individuals on TC on the particular matter. Yes, in responding to them, I am effectively working around a posting privilege block on the thread that well pre-dates the particular discussion like several months ago. I would prefer to respond directly in the thread.

randomised

Ah, clear...I don't have anything "general" to discuss at the moment

Non Sequitur

I like the idea that one country’s constitution applies to the entire internets. Does that mean I can open carry 9 pistols when I’m browsing these forums? You never know when the queen might storm in and try to take my phone.

Non Sequitur

Speaking of the queen, anyone know if she carries a business card and if so, what business does she need to state in order not to trample on well established card etiquette?

Steeplechase

Do you really need a card when people walk around with your face in their wallet?

Non Sequitur

Looks in wallet.... damn it.

$20 note, 2012 Frontiers series, portrait: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, issued 7 November 2012

RickB-Astoria

Archinect is an organization based in California USA. While it is primarily an online oriented organization as far as its operations goes but it would be subject to laws of California and U.S.A. as a whole. However, you live in a country where you can speak freely without downright persecution. If you did, you probably wouldn't be on the Internet.

jla-x

If the queen put the title “queen” on her business card could the band Queen sue her?

Non Sequitur

Jla, they should. Queen (the band) > Queen (monarch wanker) by a cubic lightyear

jla-x

I agree 100%.

Featured Comment
tduds

This thread should be renamed RickChat.

Feb 7, 19 4:46 pm

Feb 7, 19 7:48 pm
John93

Single pitch roof integrity.  Questions.

Hello,  I'm hoping to help design and build my own house with an uncommon roof. My plan is to make have my home built in three elongated sections that meet at a 15-20% angle.  The inner side of the house (concave) would appear to be two stories high, but from the other side a single pitch roof would come down on a ''pretty steep angle'' to meet close to the ground.  This would make my second story merely a small space for a bed and library.  Possibly leaving the middle section of the house opened for more light.

The reason of the aggressive angled roof is because I live in Canada and have always envied homes with sharp tin roofs on which snow naturally slides off of.  The single pitch is to have lots light enter the home without needing roof windows (it's a winter thing). 

My main concern about all of this design is the weight of the roof and the vertical wall.  

What kind of framing would be necessary for it's integrity?  

Is my concern legitimate?

Would the vertical wall need to be on an angle?

I've been wanting to ask an architect about this and I hope I've come to the right place. 

This home would also be build on stilts in a wooded area.  I have more to say about my design, it would benefit the conservation of centennial trees, if you are interested. 

Please let me know what you think,  If this is impossible and/or if I should change my design.

-John

Feb 9, 19 2:18 am
Non Sequitur

Hire an architect.

shellarchitect

its possible. hire a builder if you want it fast. architect if you want it good

John93

Thank you.  Of course it's my intention to hire an architect.  In my province it's the law to have a house plan with the right signature on it.  Some friends of mine have bought simplistic plans for cheap but given the wooden land I own, I really want this house to act like a wind wall to replace the missing trees that were cut to make space.  I'm an arboriculturist

Feb 12, 19 1:50 pm
John93

I'm an arboriculturist and any tree trimming needed can be done myself. I just wanted to ask around before asking for such a plan to be made, if it's somwthing that's commonly done. If this type of steep single pitch roof has a name.

Non Sequitur

Don't buy stock plans online. They are garbage unless all you want is another suburban waste of space. If you have the budget and property, it's in your best interest to start from scratch with a good design team. Which city/area in QC are you expecting to build? Many areas have limitations on tree removal, building proximity, minimum slopes, etc... not to mention frost protection to those pilotis you mention above.

John93

In my town the tree removam is seperated into urban laws and country laws. Any property that has more forested area than shelters is pretty much free-game. My property is in the Lanaudière region, if that means anythig to you.

John93

I had the intention of digging 4 feet down and pouring xoncrete blocks as bases for the pilotis. Some of these might hit the rock before reaching 4feet.

Non Sequitur

Yes, that area is familiar to me... in fact, I am heading out there this weekend. (no joke). I can pretty-much guarantee that your pilotis idea will not work. You'll need to excavate much more (esp if you hit bedrock) and add structural ties between footings. This foundation is likely to cost the same as the actual house.

John93

I'm interested in talking more in depth about this piloti delema with you. My reason for this form of foundation is to have minimal impact on roots of bearby trees and also to lower cost. Of course I'm opened to different ideas auggested by experts in this field of work. Is there a way to for us send a private message with to share our coordinates? I'm currently shopping for an architect.

Non Sequitur

John, typically, folks who come here looking for free advice get tossed out of town covered in tar and feathers... We get paid to answer these types of questions and as much as I'd like to continue on a professional level, my license is limited to Ontario (also... my office does not touch single-family residential typologies). I advise you to search through the OAQ website for good design firms and bring forth these ideas. It is highly likely that you will NOT be able to save much of the trees adjacent to your future house as the requirements for foundation work will certainly demand far greater excavation. I'm talking strip footings and worse (blasting is not out of the question either). This requires a paid professional (or 2) to get a concept to construction. This is not a weekend homedepo warrior deal. I'll post a few QC firms I've noticed in the past that might help... for a fee.

curtkram

if you can provide a recommendation for an architect that can help him, the architect you're recommending should pay the fee. not the client.

Non Sequitur

^Curt, not sure I follow, I'm not asking that I receive a fee... but reminding John that design consultation will not be free.

John would probably do well to work with this type of office (https://naturehumaine.com/). They've been decently published for the last few years.

John93

Thank you. This is what I came here for. I'll look into that office and peruse the members of the OAQ. I appreciate your quick responses and wish you success in your work.

Non Sequitur

No worries John. Best of luck.

John93

woops...    and also if anybody knows of timber frame architects in Quebec Canada.  Do you? 

Feb 12, 19 1:53 pm
Non Sequitur

I was going to ask what province. I guess I have my answer. There are plenty of firms doing heavy-timber, depends really on your location. Just note that there are very stringent energy codes in effect (I am licensed in Ontario... QC may be different) that may make design difficult... esp if you're looking at buying plans online.

Rusty!

non seq, nonsense. Just encase all your heavy timber in 3 inches of concrete and you are good to go.

John93

That's very odd to me. Is there a name for this method of encasing wood in concrete? Or is this a joke?

Non Sequitur

^it's a joke.

Rusty!

Maybe joke, maybe not. Nobody knows. When you design with steel you have to cover most of it with cementitious fireproofing or intumsecents. Heavy timber is trying to get away with fiery murder here!

randomised

The cement mafia will not stand for that!

Rusty!

Each Christmas UL Fire Resistance Directory team receives a pair of concrete slippers from the cement mafia.

Non Sequitur

We have the ulC mafia up here.

jla-x

Does the Canadian mafia whack people or just take them out for coffee and provide constructive criticism?

Non Sequitur

The canadian mafia gives out free hockey tickets.

archiwutm8

New built luxury homes are built like cardboard boxes, full of errors and shoddy.

Fight me

Feb 15, 19 9:28 am
archiwutm8

Seafood does not belong on pizza.

Convince me otherwise 

Feb 15, 19 9:28 am
randomised

Ugly Delicious S01E01

archiwutm8

Yeah I saw that, still wasn't impressed

randomised

You could always build a wall around your pizza to keep that seafood out, Make Pizza Great Again! :)

tduds

Anchovies are great.

jla-x

Ugly delicious is a fantastic show. I’ve had clams on pizza. It’s really good.

shellarchitect

shrimp?

jla-x

I’d say anchovies and clams may be the only 2 sea creatures that I’m convinced are good on pizza...I’ll give anything a chance though...

mightyaa

archiwut8... Cardboard?  That's my jam!  Here's a apartment balcony fascia detail for you 3 years post occupancy.  

Feb 15, 19 11:00 am
jla-x

What a ridiculous circus.  Trumps declaration of a national emergency to push a political agenda is probably one of the worst oversteps of power a politician has ever pulled.  If the republicans don’t strongly denounce him, they cannot ever again claim to be the party of limited govt (even though they never really were.)  In good news, Bill Weld announced that he may challenge him in 2020...End rant...

Feb 15, 19 12:52 pm
Featured Comment
SneakyPete

So we're good with the guy who was banned from the general chat thread starting his own general chat thread as an end run around the sanctions placed on him? We're onboard with this?

Okey dokey.

Feb 15, 19 2:09 pm
JBeaumont

Seems ok for a few reasons:

1. If it keeps him occupied in here, then maybe he stays out of trouble in other threads.  Back when the ARE Forum was around they tried to make him his own thread called "Containment Boom", for that exact purpose.  People who didn't want him around could just stay out of that thread. It worked for awhile, but then he grew restless.

2. He hasn't been participating much lately anyway, because nobody responds directly to him anymore.  There was an email that went around where a bunch of regulars agreed not to directly engage.  When he's got nobody to talk to he just lurks, so others have mostly taken over this thread anyway.

SneakyPete

1. I think this is hoping in vain.

2. So why reward him with a thread?

curtkram

the community can now choose to engage in a forum without the offender, with the offender, or both. i'm sure italics will help us chose.

SneakyPete

When presenting a choice, always let an offender create one of the options.

Formerlyunknown

It may work out, in a give-him-just-enough-rope-to-hang-himself way.

randomised

If you don't like it don't engage, easy peasy.

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: