Archinect
anchor

Six Sigma

ks239

Hi! Would really appreciate some thoughts. 

I'm a 29 y/o registered architect, working primarily in the healthcare market. I believe architects have a very real responsibility to seek out learning opportunities once we're out of school. With that mindset, I've tackled registration exams, WELL AP, and LEED GA. The way I see it, I can't afford not knowing about this stuff. This is much less about earning credentials than curiosity... although career advancement factors in, eventually.

I'm trying to figure out what comes next. Does anyone out there have experience with the topic of Lean Six Sigma? It's very hard to find much online as it pertains to our roles as designers or architects, but it's all about process improvement and lean strategy. Grasshopper/parametric design is another interest, but I'd need a really good class to walk me through it. I've dabbled with Grasshopper, Dynamo, and PowerBI, but need more structure than disparate YouTube videos.

What else is on your radar out there? If you had some flexible time and roughly $1k to cover expenses, what would you want to dive into?

Dec 3, 18 5:43 pm
wurdan freo

Start with the yellow book. 

Dec 3, 18 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

sounds like a scam. 

Dec 3, 18 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

With flexible time and 1k to cover expenses I’d dive into hobbies and experiencing life and the world around us. 

Dec 3, 18 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

*more

Dec 3, 18 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

If you are curious and want to be a better architect, I would highly recommend getting a CSI CDT certification. Architects who have this one tend to operate on another level.  

Dec 3, 18 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

​Whenever I see CSI CDT behind someones name I assume it's someone who isn't' eligible​ to sit for the PE or RA exam.. Why would an RA also want this credential? I assume it was the same stuff that is covered in the CD exam, or whatever they are calling it these days...

Dec 4, 18 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Everyone I've talked to in other fields who have undergone that crap hates it with a passion. 

Dec 3, 18 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

ICC certification.

Dec 3, 18 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Take a course on:

Universal Design

Living Building

PassiveHaus

Or take a trade class... Welding, woodworking, casting, ceramics, whatever.

Dec 4, 18 12:43 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I'd suggest taking a break from architecture in your spare time, you can't be switched on 24/7 can you? Perhaps learn how to cook decent, nutritious and delicious food to provide you with the fuel you need to work. Maybe even without meat or fully vegan to set yourself an interesting challenge that comes with superpowers to become incredibly annoying at social events and parties.

Dec 4, 18 3:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

this: become incredibly annoying at social events and parties.  

10 internet points for you.  Spend them wisely.  Preferably on some free-range organic cruelty-free trinket that will help with the whole being annoying at parties bit.

Dec 4, 18 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"Six Sigma' is/was a trendy 'zero defects' program of its time. The idea was that the occurrence of a mistake would be reduced to six standard deviations from the mean if I remember correctly. It was famously promoted by General Electric who is staring bankruptcy in the face today because of incompetent management. (They are about 1/2 sigma from disaster)

Save your money. Take up a hobby that could be useful in architecture, like photography or painting.

Dec 4, 18 10:37 am  · 
 · 

I'd second Rusty!'s suggestion. In fact, I'd rather see architects take on the CDT before the ARE ... if anything it is excellent preparation for the ARE. Definitely before LEED and WELL certifications. 

Dec 4, 18 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Sean!

Funny enough i saw this designation on a consultants (a VT guy) email signature the other day...I meant to look it up but forgot. What is it, and why is it relevant to the design and construction industry?

Dec 4, 18 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: