Archinect
anchor

Alternative to Revit?

DTechnic

Hey everyone. I am a graduate of Architcetural Technology, I've had over a year of work experience and very soon I'm going to reinstate my CIAT membership as an associate member.

I want to use a software for some basic service that I provide [I am good at technical drawings so I help people with their technical drawing needs].

Now Revit as far too expensive and there's no way I could keep up with even the monthly subscription of it. I've seen some alternatives like BricsCAD and was wondering if anyone has any other ideas of affordable software? I want to be able to draw/design in 2D and 3D and once I am fully accredited and qualified, I want to provide a full architcetural design service and start my own business.

One day I could go back into using an officially licensed Revit when I can afford it, but I want to try and master another software for commercial use.

Oct 13, 18 8:55 pm
( o Y o )

SketchUp

Oct 13, 18 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
natematt
From what I’ve heard microstation is fairly analogous, but cheaper and easier.
Oct 13, 18 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Russell3000

The Microstation equivalent of Revit is AECOsim. I have a little bit of experience with it, I would NOT recommend it .

Jun 2, 20 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Why not just go work at a firm? One year is not a lot of experience, especially to be given so much responsibility that you are working alone and get to dictate the production tools.

Oct 13, 18 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
DTechnic

I am working at a firm, it's not architecture but we use Revit to design steel framing structures. While working, I expect it will take around 2 or 3 years more work experience to start thinking about progressing on to MCIAT.

I have Revit at home but it's a student version, and I want to do freelance technical drawings like floorplans for people, just as a side thing. I can't afford a Revit license so I want to know about something else I can use while building up a side business.

I am not designing buildings or anything because I'm not accredited yet and although I can produce a decent building, it wont be a good idea to do any of that until I am accredited.

I want to keep my skills sharp by freelancing simple constrcuction details or creating concept floorplans.

Oct 13, 18 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
joshua.d.palmer

Um, just keep a Revit student version or sign up for a new one. I've known people who've downloaded it without ever needing a university email. Or there's also RevitLT. It's a lot cheaper and will still do almost everything you'd need.

Oh, and just be a little careful about doing "architectural" services without a license. By the letter of many state boards you're not allowed to advertise working as an architect or providing services without being registered. Go the old atelier or designer route.

Nov 9, 18 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
DTechnic

Thanks for the advice, I am not doing anything advertising as an architect because I'm not one. So it's ok to design concepts and floorplans being named as a designer. The question is what can I NOT do?

Does it mean that I simply can't provide details that describe structural information and materials?

Nov 11, 18 10:14 am  · 
 · 
randomised

"simple constrcuction details or creating concept floorplans"

For those I'd invest in a nice sketch roll and a good set of pens and pencils.

Oct 14, 18 7:14 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

ArchiCAD!!!

Oct 14, 18 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Sucks very much, a poor man's Revit

Nov 5, 18 2:17 pm  · 
1  ·  1
BulgarBlogger

David - maybe you just don't know how to use the software... 30 years in residential practice - wheesh - representing the old guard any? Get with the times man... 

Oct 14, 18 11:09 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Development of ARCHICAD started in 1982 for the original Apple Macintosh. Following its launch in 1987, with Graphisoft's "Virtual Building" concept - old guard you say?

Oct 15, 18 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
DTechnic

I've practiced Revit for years, it's all I know for CAD design XD other than that I can do some photoshop too, I am trying to get into practicing Autocad.

Nov 11, 18 10:17 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

David - I turn a 50% profit at my firm using ArchiCAD - it is both a design and documentation tool. The BimX component of the software is amazing! I would be anything that you design in one software and document in another. You are essentially digitizing your inefficiency....

Oct 14, 18 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

they are not mutually exclusive and like you would know my work

Oct 14, 18 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

sorry- I only take opinions from professionals ;)

Oct 14, 18 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I personally like ArchiCAD, it is software purposefully made for architectural use whereas Revit seems more an engineer's program forced upon architects. ArchiCAD also integrates with Rhino and Sketchup easily, which can be handy for some.

Oct 14, 18 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Huh? If you believe words and beliefs/points of view are assault- you are a fascist. I have never physically assaulted anyone to deserve that kind of retaliation. Good verbally sparring with you though David. It has been amusing.

Oct 14, 18 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

let me know if your client wants to sell their archicad seats....

Oct 14, 18 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

thanks.

Oct 14, 18 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Lewis Garrison

If you can't afford to pay the overhead of a Revit license then you're not charging your clients enough. 

Oct 15, 18 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

The more you pay someone else to provide the tools you work with every day the more of a slave you are.

Nov 5, 18 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
OM..

lmao. revit-people love talking about revit.

Nov 5, 18 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

Revit LT is less parametric than Revit but has document production that can get close to those perfect sets produced in AutoCAD for a fraction of the cost. Import from Rhino and Generative Components is tricky but takes well formed solids; rendering is exceptional for the price. I recommend Revit LT. ArchiCAD has nice modeling tools but the graphics are lacking. VisualARQ is a good one time purchase for Rhino but not a full CAD platform in comparison to AutoCAD. Generative Components kicks butt and butte.

Nov 6, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I'm not sure what you mean by ArchiCAD does not have good graphics. We use BimX all the time for walkthroughs (you dont' have to predefine paths like in Revit etc). I'm not saying ArchiCAD has the best rendering engine- still prefer Vray and 3D Studio Max for photo realistic renderings, but just to get the space across to the client- ArchiCAD is superior. Revit is a good documentation tool, but it is extremely similar to ArchiCAD. I think ArchiCAD is an amazing alternative to REVIT. It is both a design AND documentation tool. 

Nov 6, 18 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Vectorworks seems to work well for everyone I know (at much better price point than Revit).

Nov 7, 18 4:15 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

I can second this, its easy to use and mac compatible for those who, for whatever reason, use a mac!

Jun 2, 20 11:07 am  · 
 · 
G4tor

Sketchup Pro 

Nov 7, 18 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Russell3000

This is a little unconventional, but since I use AutoCAD all day at work, when I'm doing architectural drawing for fun I like to use Photoshop or similar software. There are also some excellent drawing apps for the iPad and tablets.

How about a combo of:

-SketchUp for fast modeling and massing, creating underlays for more detailed drawings

-Photoshop and a Wacom tablet OR an iPad with the Apple Pencil for drawings

Jun 2, 20 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

There are more than a few reasons very few (if any) firms out there draw their CDs by hand. Errors/Omissions, coordination, and design changes to name a few.

Jun 2, 20 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
Russell3000

Right. I just do this for fooling around and fun, and wouldn't use it for producing CDs. I think this process could still be useful in the early phases of a project, though. Lots of architects still draw on trace paper rolls and this is the digital equivalent of that.

Jun 2, 20 7:48 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Absolutely. I like it.

Jun 2, 20 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: