Archinect
anchor

as an intern: Request to take on work from an overseas office?

Pandekage

Bit of a strange question, I'm an American with a B. Arch and 2 years work experience from the US and currently in grad school in Germany. I'm also working part time at a design office here, which has its own projects but is also part of a large multinational firm based in the US. If you'd imagine me working in the Shanghai office of Gensler.

Because my work currently is a bit slow (projects on hold, my own language skills, etc) I was considering proposing that I also join a US office and work remotely, or rather that I work on projects for a US office of the company while in the Germany office. (time difference is fine; they're already fine with me coming in on saturdays) I think the servers are universal, and the primary issues would be fitting me in somewhere and getting me up to speed, as well as meetings with the team stateside.

So, the primary question: How feasible is this proposal coming from a current intern (but w/ experience as detailer, designer)? Even if declined, how would my boss view my request?

Aug 5, 18 4:43 pm
archinine
Sounds like a big pita from a management perspective.
Aug 5, 18 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It shows that you realise you're being underused and have nothing to do, and you remind them of it. It might be too much of a hassle to organise more work for you, the simplest solution for them would be to cut you loose, so be careful how you play this, if at all.

Aug 6, 18 2:34 am  · 
1  · 
AlinaF

Not at all. Approach the highest director at your office and say: "Mr Director, I have realised that I am currently of no use to your office, since I don't speak the language and projects are on hold. Frankly, I understand that it is in your best interest to fire me, but I instead I would like to be allocated to an overseas US project team, v.ll it is now becoming increasingly difficult for US firms to find local interns who speak english and have around 2 years of experience. Don't you worry, say exactly that and everything will be fine.

Aug 6, 18 8:50 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

That's for sure a possibility but will require extra effort and resources from Ms Director and company. I don't understand v.II, everyone working in architecture in Germany understands English and is fluent in German so there's no advantage there in my opinion.

Aug 6, 18 10:37 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

You don't understand v.II. Of course you don't, since it was a keyboard bug. The case here is whether you understand sarcasm.

Aug 6, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I understand sarcasm, or so I think I do, rereading your comment I still don't get the sarcasm. Maybe you could explain in detail where you've hidden it. Thanks!

Aug 6, 18 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Pandekage

Yeah I realize the futility of this, just wanted to put this out there. Oh well, laying low for a while  :P

Aug 6, 18 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I like pitas.

Sep 17, 21 9:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: