Archinect
anchor

Submitting permits and registering TAS projects for clients

Meadowbend

I am a fairly new Architect, single person business offering Architectural services to residential, commercial, and retail clients.  I work from home and try my best to keep my prices low for my clients.  I have not been submitting my projects for permit, I've let their contractors or owner's submit, and I have not been the one registering the projects with TAS for accessiblity review/inspection.  

I know larger firms will do this for their clients, but in a effort to keep my prices low I haven't.  After several years I now have a client who is giving me a hard time about it and I wanted to hear from other single person operations.  Do you do this for your clients?  Pros, Cons?  I want my clients to feel like they received great service from me but I also want to keep my prices and hours reasonable.  

Jun 15, 18 11:47 am
x intern

do it all the time.  Its typically just a few forms, if they want you to pay for it be ready for a shock. Some Texas cities have hefty permit fees.  I seen almost 6 figures in Dallas. 

Its responding to review comments that will kill you and you have to do this anyway.  Houston is terrible.

Most clients do this so review can be dome the same time as bidding.

Jun 15, 18 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
spiketwig

Registering a project for TDLR review takes about 10 minutes via online form. But... if you're not signing the drawings you shouldn't do it. There's a form that has to be signed by whoever is signing the drawings, and since they're on the hook for compliance it's their problem. 

Furthermore, you should be writing very clear scope in your contracts to clients. If it wasn't in the scope they agreed to, not sure how they can complain about it (they should have asked you to put it in in the first place). 

Jun 15, 18 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: