Archinect
anchor

Building department request information

MDH-ARCH

When the building department sends a denial letter and requests information that is already on the drawings, how do you all handle that? Is a simple email / phone call explanation usually acceptable? The added time for a signed letter only to explain what is already clear on the drawings is frustrating. I know it probably depends on the town but curious what others experience is. Thanks

May 21, 18 2:10 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 7 Comments

That's how public employees stay employed. I've had building examiners at the DOB ask for the floor to floor height right next to the floor-to-floor dimension on the section drawing. Did they send you a "denial letter" or a "letter of objections"? Objections will happen on most submissions. You can resubmit with the answers to their objections, even if those answers are "see 01/A-201." 

May 21, 18 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

I was once asked to dimension finished floor to finished ceiling to prove that I was not somehow putting in 20’ high ceilings in a 14’ floor-to-floor space...

May 21, 18 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

was it a Trump building?

May 21, 18 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
MDH-ARCH

It was a "building department plan review" they put a denial and asked for information that was clear as day on the drawings. I am trying to avoid a letter, print, running around if I can nicely say "look closer" in an informal way.

May 21, 18 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

if it's your first time, a very formal answer is recommended; if you want to start getting "informal", you have to accumulate something to say " it's the same question you had in the last three plan sets", only then they will accept informality....

May 21, 18 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

If that is the only item on the letter then a phone call could resolve it and a new letter can be issued. It all depends on the jurisdiction and the plans examiner. 

If there are other items, then you address it together with the other items. 

May 21, 18 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Fivescore

I would handle that with a written letter, stating the facts of the "missing" information, and where to verify them on the submitted drawings.  If you phone them, make sure to follow up with a letter, so that it gets in the permit file.  The problem with just a phone call is that there usually won't be any record of that call that makes it into the file, and then when somebody complains about something related to this property 12 years from now, their lawyer will find the letter requesting the "missing" information, but not a reply, and may be successful in using that as the basis for why the permit was never valid.

May 21, 18 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

thank god for the permitting process! These guys are worth their weight in gold! Inspectors too. 

This is pretty much the equivalent of getting a jaywalking ticket from a cop who was jaywalking. Yeah... i never got one of those... not in Denver ever... good thing I'm not black... i... nevermind...

May 21, 18 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

the question is pretty well answered, I only wanted to add that this is extremely common and don't take it personally.  If plan reviewers were competent they would be architects.

May 21, 18 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
MDH-ARCH

Makes sense... Thanks for the replies. 

May 21, 18 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Guess sending over severed horse heads are just a local custom in my neck of the woods then...costs a fortune in postage stamps though, might try one of the suggestions posted here instead.

May 22, 18 3:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: