Archinect
anchor

Workplace Experience

auninja91

Hi All,

I graduated a couple years ago from uni in the US with BSArch and not to long after graduation I moved back to Canada.I've been working as designer/technologist/drafter since then. I'm planning on getting my MArch fall 2019 (one more year to save up for tuition...yay!).

How can I go about logging these hours towards getting licenced?

I believe in Canada(ontario) you have to have a masters in order to be a registered intern and log hours?

But in US you can log hours before getting a masters?

Should I just stick with the US system because I feel like all my experience in the field is going to waste (not completely obviously, the knowlege is a benefit) if the hours aren't being logged, towards gettings my license.

Thanks

Jan 22, 18 4:11 pm
mszczere
I would start with contacting the board with which you will be getting registered in Canada. The experience should be transferable but this may not always be the case
Jan 22, 18 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
You are correct that a masters is required before login hours in Canada. If your goal is to get a license in the US, then it matters not; however, if you’re looking for reciprocity for a Canadian license, you may find that those hours do not count.
Jan 22, 18 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Certainly this is all likely explained in either country’s intern program guidelines.
Jan 22, 18 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

To elaborate on the MAY in my previous post above... hours completed while NOT registered and active in either the american or canadian intership programme are likely not admissible in Canada.

Jan 22, 18 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

Okay cool...that makes sense, I will look into loggin my hours in the American system then.

I wonder if it's a long process then, to obtain/transfer and American license to a Canadian one.

Jan 23, 18 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It can certainly be a long process but there is a path for reciprocity between the US and Canada once you've completed examination and licensing hours. I don't think it is something one can do casually and there might be in-person interviews required.

Jan 23, 18 10:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: