Archinect
anchor

EPQ Help

JoeBladen

Hi, I am currently writing my EPQ titled "Does the significance of sustainability and the environment in architectural design constitute the aesthetics of architecture?" and was wondering if I could get some people's views on the subject, any comment will be helpful. Thank you

Jan 2, 18 1:07 pm
JLC-1

EPQ? and the answer to the title is NO. 

Jan 2, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What's an EPQ?

Jan 2, 18 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Edaii

Extended Project Qualification - it's something students in the UK can do in school in addition to their A-Levels

Jan 2, 18 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
JoeBladen

EPQ is a project where students write a dissertation on a subject and title of their choice and mine happens to be architecture as I wish to study this subject at university. This is my chosen title and a section of the essay I would like to gather people's opinion on the matter, any answer would be appreciated and with a reason would be helpful as well, thank you.

Jan 3, 18 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

thanks for the clarification. You'll come across a few problems with the usage of the term aesthetics. Yes, there is plenty of green-washing products one can buy to appear to be sustainable, but that is not really the point you're trying to make. What you need to ask is: how is the design / planning / construction of buildings shaped by modern sustainable ideals. The answer to which is that it's very complicated and completely dependant on how you interpret sustainability.

Jan 3, 18 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
JoeBladen

The main points I have been covering so far is sustainability in terms of materials, such as are they renewable or not, where are they sourced, energy efficiency (in manufacture and what it does to the energy efficiency of the finished building, such as heat loss), reused/recycled materials and when considering these factors and using materials that fit them, does this then impact how the building looks. For example I have explored the comparison between uPVC and wooden framed windows comparing how they are sourced, energy efficiency, etc and concluded that to some people uPVC can be considered ugly and therefore does impact aesthetics, hopefully this clears up what I'm trying to research, thank you for your comment.

Jan 3, 18 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

your question is "What constitutes the aesthetics of architecture" - don't green wash it.

Jan 3, 18 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
JoeBladen

I've changed the word constitutes to impact and I am specifically focusing on sustainability and environmental considerations in the designing process of a building and does this effect the finished building's look. Materials is just a section of my essay.

Jan 3, 18 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Joe, cherry-picking one or two materials are easy... see my green washing comment earlier. The difficult thing is envelop performance and embodied energy of building materials.

Jan 3, 18 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
BoxmanStudios

Hi Joe, 

Are you asking if trends in sustainability have changed the way architects look at and design space? If so, the answer is absolutely, "yes." Boxman Studios, for example, designs commercial/ temporary space using modified and purpose-built shipping containers. It's an easy leap to connect modified shipping containers with sustainable architecture. However, the last few years have become very interesting because we've found the need to introduce purpose-built containers, meaning chassis built in our manufacturing facility, into our offerings. Our clients want the container aesthetic and the implication of sustainability, but for one reason or another a modified container doesn't fit their needs. 

Check out our website. You might find some good content in our blog about sustainability, container architecture, and the design principals we use. www.boxmanstudios.com 

Jan 3, 18 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

terrible commercial plug.

Jan 3, 18 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
BoxmanStudios

But did you look? :D

Jan 3, 18 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

how easy is that leap?

Jan 3, 18 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
JoeBladen

Thank you for your comment, it will be very useful in my research

Jan 3, 18 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: