Archinect
anchor

2018+ Resolution

RickB-Astoria

Ok, it is a little early but we're now in December so it is around that time of the year to think about it. Here below is a couple of items on my 2018(+) resolution. These two below are highlighting a couple key new year resolution for career accomplishments not mundane but nonetheless meaningful accomplishments like just having a job and money in your pocket to pay the bills which would be a much longer list. 

1. Complete my Associates degree in Historic Preservation at the community college and get it completed in full. This is in motion already and in play so it should be estimated to be completed before July 2018 comes around.

2. Begin the NCBDC certification for Certified Professional Building Designer status credential. It should be an accomplishment on my part of completing something with regards to my building design occupation. For much the same reason anyone pursuing licensure as Architect. To attain that credential. In every respect, hard work. In every respect, an achievement. Perhaps, after completing the NCBDC certification, I may work towards other challenges along the way... When do I plan to complete this, I plan to complete the NCBDC certification process by 2020. There are processes in the certification that I do not have complete control over but I hope to complete the CPBD status by early or sometime during the year 2019. This is why I titled the topic 2018(+) because part of this will likely lap into 2019 but beginning the NCBDC Certification Candidate status is planned to be happening between now and early 2018. 

I wish anyone else working on what they feel as meaningful career accomplishments over next year, the best. Best wishes on that.

Dec 3, 17 9:52 pm
RickB-Astoria

I'll add, anyone wishes to post their 2018 resolution, feel free to add. 

Dec 3, 17 10:51 pm
RickB-Astoria

After I get the NCBDC certification completed, I'm planning on getting the electronic seal and the embosser and also the rubber stamp at some point. With the embosser, I can essentially do what is called "registered embossing" by embossing over the printed or wet stamped seal. The embossing of the seal adds a little extra level of authenticity. Sure it requires a little muscle to use the embosser.

The minimum experience to qualify to take that exam is 1040 hours per year (i.e. a steady half-time work schedule), for 3 to 6 years, depending on education. Most would get the idea from your posts that your building design business has not provided nearly that much work on a regular basis. How are you going to document 1040 hours per year?

As for the embosser and seal: that seems to be a money-making gimmick for AIBD, with no real-world value. For $200+ they're selling a rubber stamp and embosser that would cost a total of $34 at any seal company.

RickB-Astoria

I been in business for over 10 years and have means to document experience back 10 years.

RickB-Astoria

Applicants shall verify their professional experience by submitting three or more forms of verification using the following list of acceptable methods: 

 Letter of employment verifying the Applicant’s dates of employment. 

 A statement by an individual personally known by the Applicant verifying the Applicant’s number of years of experience. The statement shall be submitted on a Letter of Verification Form created and approved by the Board of Examiners. 

 Annual W-2 provided, if employed, or the first page of a 1040 form if self-employed. 

 A valid business license issued by a local municipality (verifying self-employment). 

 Articles of incorporation (verifying self-employment). 

 Additional forms of verification may be approved by the Board of Examiners on a case by case basis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have business registry with the State of Oregon since 2012. I'd fall under self-employed. I have ability to verify being in business as far back as 2006 with the building official at the time. In short, I been in business since 2006. So if I were open for even 1 hour a day, I would meet the 3,120 hours of experience. I'd think we can agree that I spent more time devoted to building design than that.

RickB-Astoria

I also have had numerous clients and respective clients that I have to account for as well. Let's not overthink this. I'd have to submit a working set of drawings that would meet the IRC code. I've had a number of small projects not worth really talking about that much. Not all that terribly exciting project as well as some modest but meaningful projects. 

It sounds like you're assuming that this works like it does for IDP/AXP - i.e. that it's a total number of hours that you have to account for, over any period of time. But that's not how AIBD's requirement works. Theirs is a minimum requirement of 1040 hours per year, for each of the years that you use to document the 3-6 required years. In other words, you could use any of the years since you've been doing this, to satisfy the reuqirements - but each of those years that you document has to have a total of 1040 hours of building design work within that year. Your "small number of small projects not worth really talking about that much" has to add up to 1040 hours in each of the years that you count.

RickB-Astoria

Don't overthink it. It'll work out. 

If you're in business for yourself, you're going to be investing at least 4 hours a day x 5 days a week in the building design profession. This includes a variety of activities associated with building design profession and not just drafting or client-specific work. There is work involved in building design that includes business administration, talking with prospective clients under initial consultation, marketing the business, and so forth. 

The application states that if you're self-employed you must submit 3 letters of verification of the length of your experience, from building officials, licensed architects or engineers, or certified NCBDCs. So you're not going to be able to just use the existence of a building license. I'm not saying you don't have the experience - I'm just asking the question, because the candidate handbook specifies "minimum 20 hours per week", measured quarterly, and "minimum 1040 hours" in each year. From what I've seen here I'm skeptical that there are 3 licensed/certified people or building officials who are familiar enough with your work to substantiate this - particularly as you never want to mention any actual projects.

RickB-Astoria

The form itself predates some of the adjustments in the policy. "Applicants shall verify their professional experience by submitting three or more forms of verification using the following list of acceptable methods:"

RickB-Astoria

 Letter of employment verifying the Applicant’s dates of employment. 

 A statement by an individual personally known by the Applicant verifying the Applicant’s number of years of experience. The statement shall be submitted on a Letter of Verification Form created and approved by the Board of Examiners. 

 Annual W-2 provided, if employed, or the first page of a 1040 form if self-employed. 

 A valid business license issued by a local municipality (verifying self-employment). 

 Articles of incorporation (verifying self-employment). 

 Additional forms of verification may be approved by the Board of Examiners on a case by case basis.

RickB-Astoria

Pgs. 26-29 is are most accurate. The up to date Candidate Handbook can be found here: http://www.cpbd.info/chb.pdf --------. How many hours a week do you think I am open for business for clients to contact me for projects. There's drafting work/CAD Technician work, there work in various levels for clients I've worked projects for. Some of which wasn't worth much to bill. There is also consultation time spent. There is also work I've done with regards to historic preservation consultation which would count in the realm of building design as it pertains to existing condition assessments, historic building documentation work and research that would apply to building design work. Even the work you do in preparation of even the project program.... pre-schematic design phase work is still relevant experience that defines project scope, project specifications, and so forth. It effects, interior design work. There is also landscape design. There is also answering questions from prospective clients. It might not have paid much, but they count. Considering a significant period of my business had been basically surviving the recession with market price ceiling dropping to pretty darn low levels, it wasn't always something I can get a client willing to pay the bills. Sometimes, I might have to spend a little bit of my time doing a little "25-cent architecture" gigs.... (the 25 cent architecture is a reference to a gentleman in Washington state who had a lemonade like booth/stand where people drop a quarter, ask him a question relating to architecture, and he gave his answer to the question). It all counts even when it doesn't pay that much. While, I might not do the "booth" thing. I may still devote time to the profession... professing the knowledge and skills through consultation with clients, prospective clients, and through answering various questions over the phone, over email, in person, and even on social media.

RickB-Astoria

The experience is about devotion in the profession of building design. It is not just about sitting in front of a drafting table and drawing buildings. The root word of profession is "profess". It's more than say... advocating. It's advocated with substance of knowledge. It isn't just supporting a cause. It isn't just supporting historic preservation or sustainable design. It is professing why historic preservation is important and why we need to be sustainable in practices. There is a lot to the profession that isn't necessarily money earning. Those activities is our opportunity to represent ourselves & business but more important to share your knowledge.... to profess that knowledge and also to learn from others.

It isn't always in the "educational experience" where we learn it through formal educational institution but now in the practice of our profession. There is certainly a wide range of activities I spent in devotion to the profession of building beyond the amount of time in from of the drafting table.

RickB-Astoria

In any case, there is a variety of aspects to the building design profession as a whole where it isn't just 'billed' work in connection with client work. Therefore, as a business, it is hard to enumerate all the hours devoted to building design profession.

RickB-Astoria

Consider this from the code of ethics: 

http://www.cpbd.info/code.pdf

Be encouraged to become involved in community and civic activities that are beneficial to their community, state or nation.

Keep informed of all pertinent laws, ordinances and building codes. 

Continuously strive to demonstrate and improve both their knowledge and
competence. 

Attempt to promote public awareness, as it relates to evaluating professional
competence in the building industry. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would these activities as it pertains to or relates to building design fit into time spent towards and dedicated to the profession of building design and something principals of a building design practice would be doing?

Not all activities falls into the "education credit" portion due to the simple fact that some of that time isn't for any form of 'credit' or continuing education CEU hours. For example, self-directed research to further advance ones knowledge of a topic might fall into general experience.

RickB-Astoria

All these factors starts adding up.

The form doesn't predate the current rules. The current form, which is in the handbook to which you linked, was developed in conjunction with the current rules. I have confirmed with AIBD that a self-employed person is currently required to submit a minimum of 3 letters of recommendation. Acceptable recommenders are building officials, licensed architects and engineers, currently certified NCBDCs, and contractors. "Others" may also submit letters, though they would need to explain in what capacity they are affiliated with the profession that would make them credible references. All references are contacted after letters are submitted to confirm authenticity.

RickB-Astoria

I do have previous editions of the Candidate Handbook and the form itself is substantively unmodified since 2012. The forms was originally set up Three letters of recommendations, business licenses, and other supporting documentation is fine.

Three letters of verification isn't necessarily going to completely verify all my experience. I'll be submitting copies of state registration from the state database as well as additional records and other documentations. Even with three letters of verifications, it isn't going to be an hour by hour blow so relax. 

RickB-Astoria

Others can also be clients, city officials, or any other suitable party that has any relationship or connection to the applicant that would be pertained to them.

RickB-Astoria

Additionally, they want building design experience of 6 years at 20 hours a week or equivalent where no more than 3 years of the experience maybe for education with at least 3 years of experience @ 20 hours a week or equivalent experience. They don't want people submitting just 3 years of experience with only say.... 5-10 hours per week. However, if someone is submitting more than the 3 years with the education credit of 3 years. Say, 3 years of education fully meeting the 3 years credit and say.... 6 years of experience then it is generally acceptable to submit with less than the 20 hours a week as long as the average hours is equivalent. If you go back to the 2012 candidate handbook: 

"Any individual who, regardless of the registration or licensing requirement of their state or country of residence, is eligible to sit for the certification exam provided he/she has been engaged in the professional practice of building design for at least six (6) years, for no less than twenty (20) hours per week, average. Not more than three (3) of the required six (6) years shall be considered educational and may consist of training or courses relating to architecture or structural engineering in accredited universities, colleges, vocational or correspondence schools, or employment and on-the-job training, under the supervision of a Professional Building Designer, architect or professional engineer." 

They include the word, average. This policy is still in play internally at AIBD/NCBDC. If someone submitted educational credit for 3 years credit and 6 years of experience @ 10 to 15 hours a week, those 6 years would be equivalent or more than equivalent to the minimum 3 years @ 20 hours a week. I'd be submitting experience records for the whole time period in business to support documentation of experience even before I had filed business name on the state business registry. I will probably be submitting more than the usual minimum from multiple sources and documentation.

RickB-Astoria

If you show less than 20 hours a week, you'll need to show more years of experience for the same equivalency. They'll probably not except less maybe 10 hours a week but then 6 years or more would need to be documented for the equivalent of 3 years @ 20 hrs. a week (1040 hours) My experience will fluctuate from above 20 hours a week and sometimes less than that.

RickB-Astoria

I contacted AIBD staff. Lets put it like this, they ultimately are looking for equivalent. It isn't like self-employed business owners are filling out time sheets on a weekly basis. They aren't totally anal retentive. They are looking for a reasonable equivalent as a minimum. 

For example, if you worked on AXP (for example and not licensed yet) and earned your 5600 training hours and you worked less than 20 hours a week, NCBDC would accept it. If you can provide some documentation from your NCARB record to support it, NCBDC isn't going to get bent out of shape. While letters of verification would be needed which is fine. I think we're good.

They removed the 2012 language deliberately because there was a decision not to allow averaging. That's why they require 20 hours minimum per week, substantiated by quarter. You can no longer count a year that doesn't include 4 quarters of that documented minimum. If you had tax records to substantiate a reasonable income from your business you'd probably be ok. But you've stated in past threads that in most past years your income was so low that your student loans didn't even require partial payments - i.e. rock bottom poverty. Also clients aren't valid references for purposes of documenting self-employed hours. If you submit those then your application comes back incomplete, requiring more documentation - typically the supplemental documents they ask for are tax/income verification, and additional project drawing sets.

RickB-Astoria

Income and hours spent running a business are two different things. I may still spend time running the business, 3-4 or more hours a day for 5 to 6 days a week. Business owners are not necessarily employees nor would they be paid a wage or a salary. Business owners aren't submitting W-2 forms, unless you are running a corporation and serve as an employee of a corporation. Additionally, how are any of the references from any of those letters of verification going to assess the exact number of hours. They are verifying years of experience not hours you spend running a business. 

I'm not sure where your source is exactly on the averaging. Are you on the NCBDC council? 

There is only a need to verify their professionals experiences by submitting three or more forms of verification from the list. For example: valid business license issued by local municipality, articles of incorporation (or even articles of organization for LLCs), and state business registrations, then there is the option for statement by an individual personally known by the Applicant verifying the Applicant's number of years of experience in which the statements being submitted on a Letter of Verification forms such as the one in the Candidate Handbook. Generally, with regards to self-employed business owners, we aren't paid wages/salaries. We are paid whatever we get from paying clients from account receivables minus expenses. 

How many hours we spend to administer a business, profess the profession, and so forth is asynchronous to whatever we get paid. There is paid and unpaid labor. With a sole-proprietorship, what I take to use for myself is called a draw. 

My income can suck ass and I still be spending 15-30 hours a week keeping the doors open for business and also doing various building design profession related activities that isn't always billed or under compensation. If you haven't noticed, I still have open hours listed, 9A to 6PM Monday through Friday and Saturday from 10AM to 4PM. Sundays maybe listed as closed but I may still do some work on Sundays.

The three items from the list are a different issue from the three references for self-employed people. You're conflating two different requirements. Every applicant must provide three items from the list, regardless of your employment status, AND self-employed applicants must additionally provide three letters from industry professionals. The changes to the rules were exactly to prevent the situation you're describing: somebody "hanging out a shingle" for 3 or 10 years or whatever, calling themselves a designer, but rarely if ever designing anything. AIBD doesn't want to certify that type of part-timer or hobbyist.

RickB-Astoria

It doesn't matter because regardless of income, I still spent time devoted to the profession. Usually, I don't bill for many of the small jobs like deck designs because the total project cost for some of that kind of work is too small to bill under the competitive environment where contractors won't even bill for the design. When projects are that small, they take time but they aren't really billable in the market place. During the recession, the price ceiling hit the floor. Trying to bill for even designing a house was nearly impossible. If you tried to charge more than $500, clients walk. If you are trying to get paid enough to pay for business license renewals, you charge whatever the client is willing to pay. That's not easy when 95% of the market literally raced straight to the bottom. You have to bottom feed to keep busy. Now, sure, I could have charged more but I would then only see a project maybe once in 5 years or so and even then, it might be a 10% chance they'll signed if you charged anywhere close to what architects charge. Those willing to pay those fees, already get picked up by architects. The rest don't want to pay and wants to get everything next to nothing. When contractors and others in the market are racing to the bottom charging anywhere from free to maybe 10 cents per sq.ft. or essentially whatever it costs them to have the plans printed at a printing shop. How do you expect me to charge a meaningful fee when literally everyone in your market area wasn't charging anything for their services? It was really a hell market in that time frame. Sure, I got those damn 'shoppers' who are trying to get everything without paying for the services.

RickB-Astoria

There are those small projects and consultation services where they never paid but it is still time. Do you think I am going to try to sue them or waste money collecting on some project the client was only willing to pay maybe $100-$150 but end up not paying?

There were also consultant services rendered for $0 to maybe once in awhile, $20-$30. If they want drawings, I'd do up a design for them. As for certification, what would an architect or engineer be able to certify other than years? They can't verify what hours a candidate running their own business can certify? How would any CPBD will? They don't verify the hours per week. That information comes from the candidate.

RickB-Astoria

I'll ask you again, how are you part of the AIBD and NCBDC? If you didn't notice, I was part of the subject matter experts work. I have had all kinds of small projects that never paid or never amounted to a meaningful income. 

Like probably 90% of any candidate that would be a business owner, we don't keep time sheets. Many design projects for small work during the recession weren't earning money because the client wouldn't pay and the market price ceiling dropped to terrible lows. I'm not going off income because I spent far more hours working unpaid than I was getting paid during a lot of that time because the market was just absolutely horrible and those who would pay the fees I would have wanted to be paid were already going to architects and engineers or they hire a design-build contractor who were heavily subsidizing the cost of design services. Therefore, it was horrific financially. Do you think I'm going to promote the myriad of crap work that I was picking up to keep busy.

RickB-Astoria

I'll submit to them THREE working sets of drawings for three different building designs that will be designed according to the IRC and IBC (perhaps current edition) for extra measure.

Subject matter experts can't test within three years of that activity anyway, so this is all moot. You signed that agreement when you agreed to participate (virtually, by mouse click, after the "I agree..." screen). That's probably good: make sure to line up some mentors over these next few years, so that there'll be people to write your reference letters.

RickB-Astoria

two years. The last part I was involved with was the Content Review. I was not involved in the last part, the writing of the questions. I wasn't part of the question writers.

It's two years from the end of the study cycle - not from your particular participation. That's effectively 3 years or more. The cycle isn't expected to be over until February 2018 or later.

RickB-Astoria

"Help review CPBD test questions. The National Council of Building Designer Certification is still in need of five to seven content experts to sit for four separate three hour web conferences to review current Certified Professional Building Designer (CPBD) exam items (i.e. categories, questions, examples, etc.). The intent is to reclassify the items based on their content and the newly established exam specifications. You do NOT have to be certified to serve on this important task force. However, ANSI standards and NCBDC policy restricts non-certified exam review participants from applying for certification for a period of 24 months. A doodle poll will be emailed to all participants and review sessions will be scheduled based on Expert availability to get as much input as possible. Your participation is needed to continue the CPBD certification’s growth and the continued benefit of the certification to the profession of Building Designers. If you are potentially available for these content review meetings please email Steve.Mickley@aibd.org. Attendance to each meeting is not required but your participation would greatly assist the field." "However, ANSI standards and NCBDC policy restricts non-certified exam review participants from applying for certification for a period of 24 months."

http://www.aibd.org/mondayminute/?cat=697

RickB-Astoria

What is your part or role at AIBD / NCBDC? 

If I have to wait a little longer, so be it but it is my understanding that the 2 year wait cycle was from the end of my involvement. I'm willing to wait the actual cycle needed because of the time frame required but the two year wait period wasn't in any way or form indicated to be after the Study Cycle.

RickB-Astoria

5839, I'm willing to wait whatever needs to be but if you are part of NCBDC or AIBD but then I would like to go over this with you and all that. I want to clarify some details regarding the exam eligibility stuff and all. A year or two doesn't hurt especially if it gives time to iron out the new exam, ANSI accreditation, and everything else. In which case, it would probably be appropriate to discuss this further in private email.

ANSI requirements say that testing exclusions date from the end of an evaluation cycle. Basically if you were involved with developing and/or reviewing any content then you're part of that cycle's exclusions. AIBD has not done this before in compliance with ANSI, so their language isn't the best. If they let people who were involved in exam development start testing before 2 years from the end of the cycle they'll risk losing ANSI cooperation.

I'm involved in standards development.  I can't say in what capacity.

Sorry but I don't get email from this site.

RickB-Astoria

send email to me at rick(AT)rickbalkinsbuildingdesigner.com - then my waiting an additional two years (for ANSI accreditation purpose) is less about the nuance of hours a week and more about my part in trying to assist in the ANSI accreditation part. I don't want to muck that up, either. It would be for the best for the whole process. If you have any part with the ANSI accreditation in connection with AIBD/NCBDC, this would be perhaps something that needs to be addressed and then given a notice by AIBD via their AIBD Monday Minutes to notify that those of us will be able to begin 2 years after completion of the Study cycle per ANSI standard or whatever. I'm not sure exactly the appropriate channels since I wouldn't want to be any part of any reason for the ANSI accreditation process being muddied or jeopardized. If waiting two more years from the end of the Study cycle, I can live with that.

RickB-Astoria

There are different phases of the exam process. The standard setting phase was completed December 11, 2017. However, I was not part of that itself. It is expected to standard setting study itself in January/February 2018 to establish the cut score for the test. The accreditation process, as I recall it would be the ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024.

Anyway, I am just checking all the facts as I can and whether my part would be offset by the study for cut score or if the particular parts I was involved in was under part of a prior 'study'. 

RickB-Astoria

5839, can you scan from a copy of the ANSI standard documentation that specifies the 2 year after the study cycle or appropriate rule and sent to the email as listed. It is my understanding that the 2 year wait as I referenced above earlier from the above part is set up based on the guidance from PSI Services, LLC. who are involved in the Accreditation Consulting, starting with the Job Analysis all the way down to the Standard Setting. PSI Services LLC are the psychometric service provider overseeing these processes. The 2 year rule after the Study Cycle would be for those involved throughout the entire process including the item writers steps and everything else being called upon. At this time, it is my understanding that because I was not involved in the later activities after June 21, 2016 that the 2 year rule would apply from that date. If I were involved in the item writing and other later phases, I would most certainly be having to wait until 2020. I would imagine any non-certified persons involved in later phases would have a later date in the 2 year exclusion period. PSI and the ANSI should be on the same page.

RickB-Astoria

Testing policy is established under PSI Services LLC consultation. I contacted NCBDC president and feedback from AIBD president. Feedback by AIBD President: "The policy relates to the individual, not the process: ”... for a period of 24 months following THEIR last exam development activity." (emphasis added by me)". 

It is more legally sound to base it on the individual and calculated based on the last exam development activity than to have an "indeterminate" situation where each phase of the exam development process being of unknown duration. It isn't like they have an exact idea how long the process will take. PSI is involved with the test development and psychometric and are experts in ANSI/ISO accreditation for certifications.

I got a punching bag, gonna work on some upper body. Moving in general is supposedly good for people.

Sadly, we have no good place to hang it, so it may have to live outside on a hanger. I will get it a nice jacket.

Dec 4, 17 12:05 pm
randomised

Punching is always a good resolution, enjoy!

Sadly the bag just lies there and puts up no fight what-so-ever. It's like Don Rickles' wife, RIP.

arch76

Good Luck to you both, and thanks RickB for putting this introspective vibe in the air.

Dec 4, 17 10:47 pm
RickB-Astoria

Thanks. In whatever meaningful career goals for 2018, I hope you best in accomplishing those goals.

arch76

I was sincere in thanking you for starting this thread. Happy holidays. I kinda wanna pursue an S.E., but I also have too many home projects lingering...and rally school. never enough time...\

RickB-Astoria

Alright. In any case, I hope you best in working through each step towards the goal. It might not reach the end goal but each milestone towards it is still a meaningful goal to accomplish so therefore best wishes.

RickB-Astoria

PS: Happy holidays to you and your family as well arch76.

tintt

Good luck, Rick. Knock it out of the park.

Dec 5, 17 9:15 am
RickB-Astoria

Right now, the game plan is, the first half of the year, finish goal #1 and then the latter half of the year begin goal #2 and hopefully complete them during 2019 and if lucky, be completed by December 2018.

tintt

My goal is to do more and more of the fun stuff and less and less of the annoying stuff.

Dec 5, 17 9:21 am

Best to start that while you're still young. The other option is to start enjoying the annoying things.

tintt

I started out doing the fun stuff, then did some annoying stuff that was "required". I'm still young by the way. At least I think I am. Relatively speaking. I get carded often.

jamesaleisterbarcelona

My goal is to be able to make up my mind whether I should pursue Urban & Environmental Engineering or Parametric/Computational Design for a Masters degree. The former will require me to learn a new language, while the latter will require me to buy a new computer and learn/re-learn a few new softwares.

On a lighter note, I hope everyone had at least a moderately good 2017!

Dec 5, 17 9:34 am

2017 was awesome except for our government.

Dec 5, 17 10:54 am
MDH-ARCH

My goal is to make as much money with my side hustle business as my full time job so I can get ready to be fully self employed. 

Dec 6, 17 8:42 am
tduds

I have one goal: Finally gettin' that license. 

Dec 6, 17 11:51 am
RickB-Astoria

Wish you best. Looking forward to T. Duds, Architect :)

thatsthat

Right there with ya, Tduds. Good luck!!

kjdt

I'm curious as to how an associate degree in historic preservation will be useful to you.  You've said you're "not an employee type person", so I'm assuming you wouldn't try to go after an internship with the national parks or something, as those are generally very rigidly hierarchical and structured.  Most any RFPs/RFQs I see for historic preservation contract work require a masters and a portfolio of past work, whether for federal contracts, state or local level, or private clients.  What are you planning to do with that degree?

Also I note that these are the same as your 2011 goals, and pretty similar to most years in between.  I would encourage you to add a resolution about perseverance.  Usually when people post their goals publicly it's because they want support and encouragement, and/or they want the added incentive to achieve the goals so they won't lose face. You tend to make the same goals over and over, and then come back with a zillion excuses every year, and no progress at all.  Make a goal to not be a perfectionist, but to not give up either.  Make a goal to be able to report back here in 6 months or a year and have made some progress of some sort.

Dec 6, 17 6:52 pm
RickB-Astoria

kjdt,

Thanks for the critique. There are a lot of historic preservation work that has published RFPs/RFQs. Historic preservation work in connection with residential work will often not have any specified formal education. The point of completing this associates degree completing a degree that hasn't been completed yet and was on halt since 2011, in part of going to U.of Oregon in 2011. Additionally, having a masters degree is not an absolute requirement even for the National Parks Service. It's more a guideline but they also recognize there are qualified people who do not have a master's degree especially when there are numerous NCPE accredited programs of high quality that exists at multiple levels of degrees. I also have education at the U of Oregon on historic preservation. U of O's program is more research oriented and CCC's program is more hands-on on the crafts trades. It's nice to have good research but if you want to have stuff preserved or restored, you have to have people with the crafts skills. I was taking a point of learning from both research and trades. Without that, how well would I be able to tell good work from crap. 

Sometimes arbitrary degree requirements are not suitable. The local CLGs, my state's SHPO (and Washington), and even the NPS recognizes that. I do know people in the state SHPO offices. The mission of historic preservation can't let itself be hamstrung by what letters are printed on the diploma. When working with private clients like a lot of home owners (which makes up one of the largest portion of historic resources) that needs to be documented, preserved, in some cases, be restored, rehabilitated, and so forth. At the end of the day, what matters is not diploma sheets but experience. The degree completion and receiving that degree's 'diploma certificate' is just a beginning part of a career involving doing work with regards to historic buildings and a whole new wave of historic resources regarding those mid-century (20th century) architecture.

I agree with you on the perseverance part. I'll be reporting in late June 2018 when I get goal #1 completed. Remind me (anyone willing) around that time as it is very MUCH possible that this thread gets buried by then. About July, I'll be beginning Goal #2. I'll report on the passing (or fails.... I hope not) of each of the exam parts. When completed and obtain certification, I'll aim to post on that. Other goals that comes into mind and can be accomplished during that time, sure, I'll post on it if people want to know or just to you privately. 

As for internships, I may consider internships whether at NPS or possibly in architecture. I'm not interested in working for employers that treats 'interns' like they know absolutely nothing as if they never even had an intro course in architecture or historic preservation. The attitude of an employer will make a difference about whether I want to work or stay working with that employer. It would be abrasively rubbing at my patience to be subject to 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week or more, week after week to that kind of attitude. The typical attitude that I have seen from some employers I've had were annoying the f--- out of me. I don't mind insights that they may have but operate like a team of peers. If I work as an employee of someone, I would want to work for an employer that isn't an a--hole. I'm not that 'fresh out of high school' employee. I have some education and experiences. Respect that and I'd bet I would get along.

Dec 6, 17 10:05 pm
Non Sequitur

I'm not one for resolutions, but one thing I would like to do is learn how to tie a tie.... seriously, I've tried for years and just can't understand it.  

Dec 7, 17 8:46 am
Bench

Double-windsor or people will think less of you

Non Sequitur

All my ties are hung with double-windsor knots.

tie = symbol for penis (I already have one)

I default to a half-windsor knot myself.

The eldredge knot is my 2018 resolution.

Dec 8, 17 4:44 pm

The eldredge is too slow in a scuffle

RickB-Astoria

Like N.S., I'll have to learn to tie a tie so I can do so to save my ass (LOL). Well, sometimes, I can pull it off but I don't usually wear ties much. For the typical client and the residential and light commercial projects I have worked with, there hadn't been a need for wearing a tie but there is still the value of doing so. 

Dec 8, 17 10:29 pm

I don't do ties, it is a symbol of the man.

RickB-Astoria

Man.... I am the man. :-)

BTW: What man? Aren't you a little bit on the young side to be a hippy? You don't really look like a hippy. Where's the tie-die shirts.

RickB-Astoria

Here's a hippy and Oregon registered architect

The man in the tie dye shirt, bearded and all.

the boogeyman

curtkram

ok, first of all, if you don't have a beard, you're not a man. everyone knows that.

second, how does a man not know how to tie a tie?  even if you don't wear one, it's part of being a man.  like changing the oil in your car.  you don't do it, but you have to know how to do it.

RickB-Astoria

It's not really so much not knowing how to tie a tie... per se. It is more like I don't wear ties that often so it is kind of foggy, especially certain methods of tying a tie. I have tied a tie with a windsor knot some years ago as the last occassion where I wore a tie. As for some of the other styles of tying a tie, I haven't done in a long time. I rarely dress up that formal. In college, it usually seemed a little odd to be the only one wearing a suit and tie when every one else doesn't. In practice, most of my clients don't dress up and it seems to be too over dressed for my clients in my locale. It might be a generational thing but usually if I had to wear a tie, I will just look it up online to refresh myself and then get it done. I might be a little slow but a part of it is getting it to look decent. Since my dress attire tends to be involving a black dress shirt which I may where my blue blazer jacket and the color ties I have usually worn are in the blue tone or a reddish/maroon color. I tend to not have a bright color tie. If I wear one of the other color dress shirts, like the white and light blue color one, I also have a black color vest which I may use to form the "three-piece suit" (well sort of). I try not to over dress and discomfort prospective clients and clients. Most architects in my area in the past 10 years did not wear suits or more particularly, the suit & tie. They tend to be a little bit more business informal or otherwise based on the following photo: they tend to wear "Friday" style maybe Monday or Thursday and Wednesday. However, "Tuesday" style is too inappropriate for meetings.

This is from observation. The only time I seen architects dressing more formal than "Monday" / "Thursday" with a tie or bow tie is usually from Portland architecture firm principals at townhall meetings and other public meetings where they maybe presenting something at. This is just my observational experience.

RickB-Astoria

That hippy architect gentleman above in the tie dye shirt is a fellow architect I personally know. He's one of the few remaining architects licensed through the experience based path to licensure in Oregon when they used to have it. I won't state his name on this forum but it wouldn't be a hard one to figure out. He's in Manzanita, Oregon area. That should help anyone to identify him.

jla-x

"If you don't have a beard you're not a man". Even a vagina can grow hair.

I hope to find more time to Archinect in 2018

Dec 22, 17 3:03 pm
archietechie

You seem the most free already

It's this or a powder room elevation and that means leaving the house in holiday traffic

Formerlyunknown

You need to leave home to do a power room elevation?

yeah the existing conditions are goofy, the roof was designed to resemble a circus tent in the woods in 1960s, the reference set doesn't match the existing conditions, builders get improvisational at times

powder like fake beauty

shellarchitect

"remove existing roof and associated framing.  refer to arch. drawings for extent."

There you go, also helpful if your fee is based on construction costs

Dec 22, 17 3:51 pm

nope, historic property, shell to remain

TED

Taking advice from Banksy 

Dec 23, 17 12:25 pm
bowling_ball

2017 was mostly a fucking awful year, personally. Separated from fiancee after 8 years. I never do resolutions but I do make plans from time to time. And now's a great time.

My plans for 2018 are to keep up with the therapy, and do more fun stuff with friends. Drink a little less, too. If I find myself with a little spare time, I'll take on another moonlight gig or two of it's interesting.

2017 can go fuck itself. Here's to doing better.

Dec 23, 17 1:02 pm
RickB-Astoria

It's absolutely ok. It's more about the idea of making plans and goals that you hope to achieve during 2018 and by extension... beyond. Also... amen good buddy. 2017 for me hasn't been as awful as other years but amen to a better year in 2018 and beyond.

RickB-Astoria

HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL..... NOW THAT IT IS 2018 in Continental United States.

Jan 1, 18 3:44 am

I am happy to report the punching bag is hung and has been punched. I learned quickly one also needs gloves...

Jan 2, 18 9:52 pm
arch76

wrap your hands- you're going to need your wrists unbroken, and without smashed capillaries between your fingers. GQ rated both unappealing for 2018...

RickB-Astoria

Amen!

I can dig it

Update: Hands and wrists are intact, BUT I somehow developed a frozen shoulder. I had never heard of this thing but I assure you, it sucks. It seems to be CAD related, improper posture, etc.

RickB-Astoria

I have just two courses (one beginning this next week and the last one in Spring Term). I am right on course. The other goal is still slated up ahead. 

Therefore, on course. 

Jan 3, 18 2:17 am
RickB-Astoria

In the current upcoming class beginning next week. There is a mid-term assignment report. I'll be doing something kind of a hybrid of an essay assignment and an informational interview. The informational interview portion would consists of a number of questions from a sample of questions. I might have a few of my own. I'll be asking a pool of individuals with background in independent building design experience, architects (through the various paths to licensure) and historic preservation.... or any combination of the above. 

Please note: There will need to disclosure of real identity in the process. One requirement will be that it will be from people who I don't personally know about them extensively. I am having to step outside the local pool for that reason. They need to be representative of people in the fields that I would be considering entering into professionally. I am looking to a sampling pool of about 3 or so from building design, another 3 or so from architecture and another 3 or so from historic preservation. I could add another 3 or so from architects from the international realm (largely european / Scandinavia region and I am considering also Netherlands). I just want to look this not just from only the domestic front but also from the international front. 

The process will involve communication via personal email and possibly a simple .doc or .odt or .rtf or .txt formatted files. I may use skype or other methods in some instances. The written medium works easiest for recording purposes. I am not interested in disclosing said identity over the forum but real identity is necessary for verification that these are real people interviewed. It is most certainly not minimal effort on my part for this. I will be working to get all that done by the end of the month so my goal is have feedback from the "questionaire" back by the 20th. This would be conducted over email. I will require some indication in writing in English that is confirming accepting to partake. Please note: this is not a public publication or anything like that. It is just an assignment. Most of the questions are common questions which you probably answered in various forms on this forum but this assignment would kind of require me to more or less "interview" and ask them. 

Example questions: 

What is your job like on a typical day? What training is necessary for this type of job? What kind of decisions do you make? and so forth. 

I know in some cases regarding licensing laws and the typical NCARB path. Provide something more than that which can be read from NCARB's website. There are something like 18 questions in the sample list. I might add a couple for international folks that can be insightful for learning the international regulatory market for architecture and so forth. Thank You all.

I'm surprised there haven't been any takers of Rick's offer to be interviewed. I'd offer to participate, but the requirement that I be a real person is a non-starter. I enjoy existing as a collection of 1s and 0s.

Jan 4, 18 11:09 am
RickB-Astoria

My request regarding real name in the process be disclosed but that does not have to be done on the forum. It can be done under private communication means. E_A, if you wish to participate on that, we can accommodate any issues of identity disclosure issues. If I interviewed people and all I have are aliases being used, it would look like I made up the interviews which would be problematic. The only disclosure would be between me and the person the assignment is to be turned to. This assignment would not be publicly published. If I were to, in the future, I would redact the real names.... "CIA" style with the black outs over the area of the names. Personally, I wouldn't care if you are using an alias or not but 'they' (the academic institution, the person in charge of the 'course') requires I would be interviewing people in the profession of the career. They would begin thinking it is a fictitiously done interview if I were to just use the forum alias. As long as I have a few individuals who would be willing to participate with their real identity known, I maybe able to get by with the rest being under their aliases.

I can give you a real name, but how would you know it is my real name? 

Furthermore, why would the academic institution or the professor care if a real person is using an alias or not? Either way, "real names," or "real people" can be faked. If someone were to go through the effort of faking it, why would they use the alias of someone with a public profile on Archinect who could be contacted for verification? Just fake all of it and there would be no where to go for verification.

P.s. I'm not advocating that you fake this.

RickB-Astoria

I'm sure, you understand why. I'm sure most of you who worked hard to become licensed understand the intent. If I just went with aliases, it would look bad from an academic and student conduct point of view. I know already a few folks here on this forum using their real name as is that I can contact over the phone and so forth. 

I know all of this can be faked but I'm above that kind of shenanigans at least we should hope that I am just as I hope with those on this forum. I'm considering some on this forum like Donna, Miles and others. I'm hoping to find others including yourself. 

For architects, I'd probably could just do a quick name check on state licensing boards databases but only to verify licensure which that would only be for verifying licensure. I could go through the trouble of calling people up but I'd be less likely to do that for international long distance telephone interviewing. 

However, I'm sure we have better integrity than to stoop to childish shenanigans.

Formerlyunknown

I'm not surprised by the deafening silence. Richard has a long history of bad behavior on this site that would make most wary or providing contact info. What if he gets a bad grade on this assignment and decides to take it out on his research subjects? Richard has a troubling history of filing retaliatory reports to licensing boards, for petty infractions or completely groundless accusations, against architects with whom he has become annoyed. He has also engaged in confrontational, intimidating behavior to the point that a college administrator had to call security. On the other hand, what if he develops an attachment to his interviewee and they end up in a photo gallery on his website (as happened to one of his past fixations). He tends to become obsessed with particular people who he sees as role models - teachers, architects/designers, etc. and becomes something between a pest and a stalker to them. I'd caution against getting involved, unless it can be done anonymously through a third party. Perhaps if the professor could act as intermediary. Otherwise don't.

RickB-Astoria

First off, the nature of the class is a pass or no pass. It isn't graded with A, B,C,D or F. Just getting it done is what matters. Your concern is a little unfounded. Here you are saying I filed a retaliatory reports to licensing boards. First off, I never filed such a report on retaliatory basis. I have never actually filed a complaint to the licensing boards against any architect just because he or she annoyed me. If I did that, Miles and some others would have had a board investigator contacting them because of that. This would have been the case for others. Here you are committing libel for the falsehood that YOU are propagating and continuing. I've never filed a complaint to the licensing boards about any architect just because they may have annoyed me. If you are talking about some kid in Australia, he wasn't an architect according to the laws where he was at and he was violating the laws there. He was informed of that. He responded with wanton disregard of the seriousness. As soon as he made compliance, I had informed them of that and they discontinued pursuit of the case. They aren't going to pursue investigation if it resolved itself. They may continue monitoring the person for awhile but that is not the same thing. 

Regarding that administrator, it is my Constitutional right to confront. If you don't confront someone f---ing you over, you'll simply continue to be treated as a punching bag, kicked around like trash. She showed me some of the portfolio work others admitted into the school from prior years. Simply put, most of that stuff which were meant to represent architectural work were death traps or otherwise is crap. Piss poor draftsmanship or CAD work. I call it like it is. I don't sugar coat and I will call bullshit.... bullshit. I'd even call the President Donald Jackass Trump a conceited self-aggrandizing asshole on national TV and a F---ing moron on live national TV. I'm not another f---ing brick in the wall that will bend over and conform to some idiot's idea of thought and behavior control. It is what makes a man a man... not a boy. INDEPENDENCE of mind, body, and soul. Otherwise, you're just an ass kisser. 

Just for your information, it wasn't even the same day. Several days had already past since I confronted her over some issues and when she sent the campus police. When she sent that, I was attending an AIAS meeting and had not even talked to her that day or before hand. As per policy, the director of student conduct contacted over the matters. Bottom line, it was deemed that her contacting campus police was excessive. My behavior may have been a little bit aggressive than their ideal conduct they like... which is being an ultra-pacifistic introverted ass kisser. I never threatened physical harm to her or anyone.

(PAUSE)

RickB-Astoria

"On the other hand, what if he develops an attachment to his interviewee and they end up in a photo gallery on his website (as happened to one of his past fixations). He tends to become obsessed with particular people who he sees as role models - teachers, architects/designers, etc. and becomes something between a pest and a stalker to them." 

Really??? I don't have photo galleries like that on my website. You say, past fixation, I think you misunderstood that big time. If you are talking about Jeri Ellsworth, you realize we are friends. I have respect for her and her work. Sure, she has an attractiveness to her in that she isn't repulsive to look at. That's not the same as stalking her. I think you are confusing issues on that a bit and confusing me with someone else. Don't confuse me with that other person. All I had was one photo with her.

RickB-Astoria

Alright, lets just can the interviews. Forget it. I'll go about this differently. It's not that important. If the 'instructor' does the interview then it defeats the point.

RickB-Astoria

Sorry, a little bit annoyed by FormerlyUnknown's comment above considering how he/she painted the story out falsely even though he/she used some grains of facts but the truth is he/she doesn't have all the facts. FormerlyUnknown, even if I knew who you are, it isn't worth my time to file a complaint against you to the licensing board. Generally speaking, I don't file complaints to the licensing boards about architects. The only time I have done so was when a person was expired for around TWO YEARS and was still promoting, advertising, offering architectural services and representing oneself as a licensed architect in a manner that the general public could reasonably construe as still offering those services in Washington. It has been years since I filed a complaint to ANY of the licensing boards in the U.S. Regarding the young man from Australia that was using the architect title was resolved. I informed the board there that it was resolved after the person removed the mark. Boards do tend to not continue or open up cases if they were promptly resolved. However, they may still continue to monitor that person for awhile. If he got fined, after that point, it would only be because he had went back to representing himself as an architect in that area without being lawfully licensed. Then they popped him for it. I originally informed that Australian licensing board after A) Informing the young man that he is not in compliance with the laws where he was at. B) He refused to heed the warning after it was indicated to him that I will inform the board if he continues to violate the laws. C) I informed them after that point. It isn't because he 'annoyed' me. It was because as professionals, we have a general obligation to report crimes. As licensed professionals, you are generally required to by law and rules. It was to make it clear, we aren't bluffing or joking. As soon as it became clear, it wasn't a bluff or joke, and reality sunk in, he took prompt action. As soon as that happened, I informed the board there of it. As far as I am aware of,they never continued pursuit of that case. They may have continued monitoring him for awhile. If he went back to misrepresenting himself, then they may have popped him but that would be a new and distinct violation. When a person in wanton disregard of the law violates the licensing laws, it harms those of us who do practice legally in the unlicensed area of exemptions because it causes the boards and the AIA to make political push to remove those exemptions. Don't kid yourself, AIA still has significant political clout in the eyes of politicians. It may be a shell of its former 'glory' but AIA still has significance because of its namesake. They are the AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS..... THE PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION OF ARCHITECTS. There maybe other associations but AIA is a known name among non-architects.

Formerlyunknown

Thank you. You've done a great job illustrating exactly my point.  That should keep any would-be interviewees safe.

As for reporting someone in Australia and somebody whose license was expired: I didn't even know about those.  It's a different one that I have in mind.  How many times have you reported people to state boards anyway?  It's pretty unusual to encounter a reason in one's lifetime to report even one person to one architecture board.

Jan 5, 18 7:20 pm
RickB-Astoria

Formerlyunknown, how about get your facts straight and the full facts before committing libel. There was only ONE licensed architect that I ever reported to ANY licensing board and that was because his license his license was expired for like TWO YEARS. I have not reported any other architect BEFORE AND SINCE that time. I got a line of shit for it the last time so why the f--- bother with it. The only other individuals I ever reported were not licensed. 

The board's policy is to bring people into compliance and fine in necessary. They only issue a fine if the person refused to comply. I don't know what f---ed up information you were getting your information from. There were total of maybe two unlicensed persons in Oregon, one unlicensed person in Washington, one licensed architect (expired license), and one unlicensed person in Australia. I wouldn't have reported the licensed architect if he wasn't apparently offering architectural services with an expired license that was lapsed by well over a year. If the person's license was only expired for a few months, I wouldn't have bothered. An architect is a professional and should be able to address his/her expired license or otherwise have made correction to his websites so it is clear that he is not offering architectural services. 

The unlicensed person in Washington was John Morefield of 5 cent Architecture. He was not licensed. His booth idea, while maybe a nice idea, he was doing it in a manner that would cause the public to assume he was licensed. I am glad he is now licensed (in Arizona). I only sought the board to get him through compliance. 

John Morefield, congrats to you. 

RickB-Astoria

"It's pretty unusual to encounter a reason in one's lifetime to report even one person to one architecture board. " 

If you are A) Aiding and Abetting unlawful practice of architecture or B) Covering up for illegal practice. Could that be the case? I hope not in both cases.

RickB-Astoria

I'll be clear. I can careless if your licensed is expired by only a few months or something. If you have some issue with a license, you MIGHT be advised to take care of that. 

Here are the kinds of questions: (I have an RTF and would have done this through email). Those who are licensed or required to have a license in their jurisdiction would simply have been to validate they are in the profession. I do not have the inclination or care to report your infractions if there is any. I'd only suggest you or anyone to take care of those things. I could care less if you are a month behind on paying your dues.... NOT MY PROBLEM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Person Interviewed Name: 
Occupation Field:
License or Certification Number: 
Issuer of License/Certification:
(Enter the State/Country or Organization)

Position Title:
Firm:

What is your job like on a typical day?

What training is necessary for this type of job?

What kinds of decisions do you make?

What are the most important personal satisfactions connected with your position?

What changes are occuring in this field? (field means the Occupation field above)

Is there a demand for this kind of work, and will the demand grow?

What is the best way to enter this field?

What is the salary/wage or compensation range for this kind of position/profession? (consider  not only just employees but also for those considering starting a firm)

What are the opportunities for advancement?

Describe the ideal worker in your company?

What five work skills are most important? (if you feel to list more, go ahead)

What five personal skills are most important? (if you feel to list more, go ahead)

What is the biggest problems for workers to overcome in this field?

What is the most difficult question or questions you ask in an interview and how would you like it answered (ie. what are you looking for from responses to such question(s) from candidates for employment)

Where would you suggest I go to learn more about this career field?

Can you recommend the name of someone who I might contact for more information?

What one piece of advice would you give me for my job search or advancing in my career?

INTERNATIONAL (ARCHITECTURE) - Here are a couple specific questions. Please also answer the above questions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Describe how a person becomes an architect in your country and how architecture and the profession is regulated?

What advice do you have for a foreigner (U.S. Citizen) about engaging in architecture in your country?

Jan 5, 18 9:36 pm
RickB-Astoria

Alright, if anyone wishes to go through the interview, that would be appreciated. I'm not interested that much if you are licensed in good standing with the boards. I would prefer that if your license is expired to not indicate that you are actively licensed or just let me know that you plan to resolve it soon or something like that. I'm not out to throw anyone under the bus with the licensing boards. After all, I'm not employed to them. I'm not bound by their laws/rules to report infractions. I have better things to do than to report you for any violations of the laws/rules you made.

You've reported 5 people you don't even know, and had no involvement with? It just sounds obsessive and vindictive, and like you're trying to come up with an altruistic motive to justify it after the fact.

Jan 5, 18 10:00 pm
RickB-Astoria

Obsessive.... maybe. Vindictive??? Not so sure. I haven't bothered with any kind of reporting people for some time. I am not out for that. If you are that worried that someone like my "evil" self would report you then MAYBE you do something about compliance with the laws and have nothing to worry about. Right now, I could care less if you got your license out of a kracker jack box. I'm not even going to spend the time to go after any of you bony heads for some bullsh-t license crap.

RickB-Astoria

"What if he gets a bad grade on this assignment and decides to take it out on his research subjects?"

The assignment wouldn't be "graded" with A, B,C,D, or F. 

There is no right or wrong answers. I expect opinions or view points of the profession to be honest not about me or anything. I expect view points to be diverse just as it is on this forum. The answer isn't about me but what you would advise or point to ANY prospective person seeking a career in this field. 

Some of you will have pessimistic views. Some of you will have optimistic views. It is exactly what is to be expected and wanted not just one person rosy picture about the profession or one person's dismal view. How about that? Maybe.... maybe I'll go with the aliases if that is what you feel you like. I'll see how I can do that as appropriate. I like to be certain that those who are architects really are and not just some person still in high school or just in architecture school. It looks better and more professional. 

I apologize if my reaction to you and a few others are harsh but you came at attacking me as well as a few others. However, it is usually just some words but what do you expect, an ass kissing response? I'm not that kind of a person. Yes, I am confrontational to those who are coming at me attacking me, my name and so forth. It's fighting words. Where is that learned from..... the streets of Los Angeles.... biotches. 

You have to stand up for yourself. No one else will. 

PS: Yeah, I gave that admission advisor my metaphorical F*** YOU message when I did that design assignment for ARCH 201 Intro to Architecture....( which was happen to be just a week before that design assignment which was about 4th week or so of the term).... by designing & drawing/drafting at a level well beyond their level of skills in the class.... yes... the WHOLE entire lecture hall class. It was further seen in the design charette. 

Sometimes..... Lighting do strike twice !!!!

Jan 6, 18 12:33 am
Formerlyunknown

Richard I wasn't requesting or expecting any response from you at all. What I wrote was directed to others, and intended as a warning. My impression, and that of many forum regulars, is that you're unstable, and prone to flying off the handle. I've observed your tendency to develop vendettas against some, and crushes or hero-worship fixations on others. My intention was to make sure that others are aware of this, and consider it, before engaging with you and divulging any personal information.

RickB-Astoria

What do you expect when you commit libel against someone? Do you expect a person to just ignore it? Would you? If I or anyone else did that to you, wouldn't you be "flying off the handle" as you say? 

As for vendettas, what vendetta? If you come at me with an attitude then you kind of deserve it if you keep holding on to a vendetta and holding an attitude for anything on a forum for more than a few days or weeks. Generally, speaking, I will usually be over whatever the issues were after a few days once the dust settles. I don't hold grudges or vendettas against people for forum posts. Do you think a veteran of forum flame wars will hold vendettas just because you call me an a--hole or something. Don't confuse confronting libelous acts of others with vendetta. 

As far as crushes or hero-worship fixations, I don't know what you are talking about.

RickB-Astoria

Ask yourself, how would these questions be something that I would be forming a vendetta over. It's your opinion if you answered them. 

Questions: 

What is your job like on a typical day? 

What training is necessary for this type of job? 

What kinds of decisions do you make? 

What are the most important personal satisfactions connected with your position? 

What changes are occuring in this field? (field means the Occupation field above *** YOUR OCCUPATIONAL FIELD ***) 

Is there a demand for this kind of work, and will the demand grow? 

What is the best way to enter this field? 

What is the salary/wage or compensation range for this kind of position/profession? (consider not only just employees but also for those considering starting a firm) 

What are the opportunities for advancement? 

Describe the ideal worker in your company? 

What five work skills are most important? (if you feel to list more, go ahead) 

What five personal skills are most important? (if you feel to list more, go ahead) 

What is the biggest problems for workers to overcome in this field? 

What is the most difficult question or questions you ask in an interview and how would you like it answered ? (ie. what are you looking for from responses to such question(s) from candidates for employment)

Where would you suggest I go to learn more about this career field? 

Can you recommend the name of someone who I might contact for more information? 

What one piece of advice would you give me for my job search or advancing in my career?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see how anyone should be worked up over anything. People tend to worry about getting in trouble if their identity was known because they are afraid that they are going to get in trouble for their douchbaggery. Maybe they should be a real professional instead of play one.

Formerlyunknown

It's not the questions that I'm worried about. It's what you might do with people's personal info.

Formerlyunknown

As for libel: you've confirmed in this thread that everything I wrote is true. You don't deny any of the things I mentioned (and it wouldn't matter if you did, because they're all substantiated by your own comments in other threads.) Your attempts to justify these behaviors just help to demonstrate my concerns. For example, you're not denying that you intimidated a university department administrator and that she called security - you're just adding more details about those incidents, and your opinions as to why you were justified in your intimidation. You're not denying that you had a photo collection on your website of somebody with whom you've been obsessed for years, and in another thread you explicitly admitted to that - you just claim that you were hosting those "for a friend". You don't deny that you've turned in people to state boards - in fact you posted in this thread about several more of them than I even knew about. These aren't people you actually know or with whom you've had any business, so your motives appear malicious.

Besides the reports to state boards, you constantly threaten to report people to law enforcement, the FBI, etc. on this and other forums, for completely groundless reasons, and usually no reason other than that they're making you angry.  This is not libel - there are plenty of examples memorialized all over the internet.  Giving you any identifying info would be like inviting a cannibal to dinner.

RickB-Astoria

Whatever personal information such as name and license or whatever will be kept private and not disclosed publically. Here's a deal, instead of sending a PM using the Archinect system, people can send a direct email to rick(AT)astoriabuildingdesign.com ---- Replace (AT) with the @ symbol. 

I may employ a method of entering that via a website form. It would provide some level of disconnect between your forum alias and real name. After all, in some technical way, I already have access to any licensed architect's real name and license number via the board database. If you are concern about me making a direct line connection between real name & license #, and the alias used on the forum, I think I can find a method to accommodate that if that is a concern. 

Would you feel better about it? 

If you were to disclose your real name and where you're licensed in the future, on the forum, that is a whole different issue. If you're concern is that I would file a complaint with the licensing board. I'll be clear.... I am not going to file any complaint with them. I don't really care.... that problem is between you and the licensing board and you're at risk of being reported by anybody. Therefore, it is YOUR problem. I could care less. 

RickB-Astoria

Basically, there is no plan to use the information beyond the report. If done a certain way, I wouldn't be able to make a direct line connection between your real information and your forum alias.

Sir Batshit Apple Crazy

rick I have you blocked...but anyway you into Lamb of God, me favorite tune

and though shall not act on any part of this link blame me. thanks.

Jan 6, 18 12:37 am
RickB-Astoria

Christopher, I haven't anything against them but I haven't listened to their music so no opinion but why not. I listen to a variety of music from a variety of bands from Iron Maiden to Metalllica, Rammstein, Dreamtale, Megadeth, and several other bands. I could say.... it isn't bad. I can see it's application can be well used. I also listen to a few good songs that is not suitable for work (NSFW) or played out loud in the halls but sometimes there are days where I would say "Who's gives a F***".

Sir Batshit Apple Crazy

rick b you're ignored.  I have no idea what you're saying.

Jan 6, 18 12:45 am
Sir Batshit Apple Crazy

for the record.

Jan 6, 18 12:48 am

I intend to be positive this year!  No more snark (well maybe meta snark).  Just clean swell positivity!

Jan 6, 18 1:03 pm
RickB-Astoria

FormerlyUnknown, 

As for libel: you've confirmed in this thread that everything I wrote is true. You don't deny any of the things I mentioned (and it wouldn't matter if you did, because they're all substantiated by your own comments in other threads.) Your attempts to justify these behaviors just help to demonstrate my concerns. For example, you're not denying that you intimidated a university department administrator and that she called security - you're just adding more details about those incidents, and your opinions as to why you were justified in your intimidation. You're not denying that you had a photo collection on your website of somebody with whom you've been obsessed for years, and in another thread you explicitly admitted to that - you just claim that you were hosting those "for a friend". You don't deny that you've turned in people to state boards - in fact you posted in this thread about several more of them than I even knew about. These aren't people you actually know or with whom you've had any business, so your motives appear malicious.

As I said, you took grains of truth and made it falsehood by your own embellishment. Embellishing the truth is falsehood. Adding something that isn't the fact of the matter is still false. I'm not going a kiss ass to an weak administrator that is intimidated by ANYONE who ever challenges, contests, or confronts her. She had complaints by other students. 

Regarding that photo gallery: Let me make it clear for you, I did not have a photo collection of a person. I wasn't obsessed with her. I am not sure how YOU are drawing that conclusion. You weren't even part of that community. I don't deny having a photo of her on the web site storage area. Yeah, it was hosted for Robert Bernardo but I had removed it awhile ago. The person that the Commodore community was saying who was obsessed with her was that she was Robert Bernardo. As far as I was concern, it was kind of cool to have a photo with a well respected individual at the MossyCon event that I help set up with the Commodore computer club and the club's "President" and coordinate the gathering as various individuals in the Commodore community were traveling through the area so it was a little bit coordinated. Jeri wanted to drop by to the club. In fact, she came a little late in the day and I had already returned home and then she insisted that I come back to the event location and we had a little photo shoot. I don't think it is really so much an obsession of her. I got a little flak by some in the community that felt Mr. Bernardo was too obsessive with her. I had after that time, removed it. I was like.... WTF? 

Regarding filing complaints to the licensing boards. You made claims alluding to me filing a complaint against multiple architects. Technically, one of 'unlicensed persons' complaint was the State of Oregon offering a job position using the title "Information Architect". The other person who I filed a complaint in Oregon was a business called Network Computing Architects, Inc. 

In fact, if there was anyone to blame for that, blame Coach of ARECoach site who was previously on the AREForum as Coach. He made the suggestion that I turn in those guys.

Besides the reports to state boards, you constantly threaten to report people to law enforcement, the FBI, etc. on this and other forums, for completely groundless reasons, and usually no reason other than that they're making you angry.  This is not libel - there are plenty of examples memorialized all over the internet.  Giving you any identifying info would be like inviting a cannibal to dinner.

Take the context of the situation into account. Perhaps, just perhaps, they shouldn't be douchebags hiding behind an alias. If I really wanted to pursue them, alias or not, they be in court because the site would be seized under a subpoena order that Archinect staff would have to adhere to the orders or go to jail for obstruction of justice, contempt of order of a Judge. Then the ISP where your IP address(es) would eventually point back to you. You slipped up over the years if you EVER accessed this forum from your home internet service without high anonymous proxy servers. If I wanted to do that, it would have already been done. If you are a professional, act like one even when you are behind an alias. One thing about being a professional involves giving up things like douchebaggery. Please note, the above are rhetorical and in no way is meant to imply FormerlyUnknown is a douche bag. This forum can really use better professional conduct. You are suppose to be adhering to a professional conduct standard at all times. Isn't that part of the Rules of Professional Conduct? Don't think you are totally safe behind the aliases. 

In addition, you aren't suppose to represent yourself as a licensed architect under any false identity or any other identity than what is on your license.... not to be confused with your business name. The rules and statutes haven't changed with the technology. It kind of falls in the umbrella of misrepresentation. I'm not going to spend the time to fill out all these damn forms for each and every one of you? Come on. I used to be semi-active with reporting people. The only ARCHITECT that I ever reported was because he was representing himself as an Architect and had been expired for well over a year. It was even pointed out to me by someone else on, I believe it was AREFORUM or something like that. If you are a professional, you should be on it like you would be with IRS taxes, and so forth. Right? 

If you don't want any possibility of retribution against you, don't be a douche canoe. Be professional and respectful. If you notice, the tone is softer when you are being respectful and reasonable. I would generally respond to people likewise to how they treat me. 

Jan 6, 18 5:48 pm
RickB-Astoria

"Giving you any identifying info would be like inviting a cannibal to dinner.".... funny.... and quite amazingly melodramatic. I never thought I be compared to a cannibal.

RickB-Astoria

So what, if I said under a state of anger that I would report people to local law enforcement and the FBI. Consider that I was under a state of anger and frustration after being relentless harassed by a number of people on this forum for a considerable amount of time. Sure, I could have gone after Miles and some others where their identity is known. Did I ???? No. I never even contacted those organizations. After the dust settled and time for the nerves to calm, I had no interest to pursue that. We butt heads. We may say things we don't mean or are seriously intending to pursue. Sure, if reserve my legal rights to pursue legal actions of anyone as anyone would reserved the right. I'm not interested in wasting the FBI or local law enforcement over bullshit crap on a web forum. It has to be a little more than name calling and childish douche baggery that we ALL done on this forum.... YES myself, TOO !!!!

Sir Batshit Apple Crazy

be positive Rick!

RickB-Astoria

Thanks good buddy. Since I do have some flexibility. I will make the assignment for the class doing the essay option instead of the interview option. It seems like there is too much rejection noise so there regarding the interview option. Why waste any more energy over it when I can move forward in a positive direction.

Nice coincidence that the AIA thread was getting derailed into complaining about NCARB, and the Dear NCARB thread got derailed back in the day about the stuff being discussed here.

I'm also going to post this because I saw it awhile ago and found it funny then, but like the similarities to the Dear NCARB title ... Dear Rick B.

P.s. Rick, your 'interview' is more of a question

Jan 7, 18 12:02 am

That should have said questionnaire

RickB-Astoria

Typically, it is done over the phone or something where the student may ask questions typically from the list. You're right, it is more of a questionaire. I wasn't wanting to waste my time arguing with the terminology used. Sometimes the interviews are more of a questionaire or survey. For our sake, lets call it a questionaire. Somewhere, I wrote above that it is a questionaire.

RickB-Astoria

PS: See.... I'm not the only one that derails or can derail threads on this forum.

JBeaumont

Balkins, how did you do on your resolution from 2016.  You assigned this to yourself, and said it would be done in a year:

Alright yapping monkey fucks, since C64 is too archaic to your neanderthal brains, I'll put the video game together on PC executable binary form and develop it in C with the AmigaAnywhere API and put you naysayer too shame in all full brilliance of 16.7+ Million "techno-colors" with modern high fidelity polyphonic music and sound effects.

Jan 7, 18 9:36 pm
RickB-Astoria

Who gives a f---? You? I wasn't going to waste my time to produce a video game just for you guys. What I decided to do was to do something more productive for myself like A) draw down the student loans, B) get moving forward with my building design business. 

I left the video game industry because to make money in it, you have to have a television/movie scale studio level resources otherwise, you are wasting time and energy to get nothing. It is driven by investors and independent studios in that kind of work doesn't really hold in that field. 

RickB-Astoria

Unless you are working in on some sector of the video game industry that isn't crowded by the likes of major video game development studios, it isn't worth it. You make either too little until you are lucky to reach critical mass... then you can make an explosive growth in the market. There is no way in hell I, alone, will be able to produce video games like Destiny 2 or any other video game for that matter in the time window to bring to market in time. It would take a human resource level of dozens of people working full-time or more to produce a video game like that. That is what people spend money on not the small "garage" made video game scene. You'll make less money per hour than you would if you worked for McDonalds no matter what your skill level is. Unless you build or capitalize on the synergy of what others concurrently are doing in the market where it is works in your favor, it doesn't work. In the last year, AR/VR sector market shifted towards BIG video game corporations and hardware developers. The market for independent AR/VR developers has lost the attention of the marketplace. The environment has became "The Big Boys Game" and that means.... you independent studios aren't allowed at the party.

In building design/architectural field, I don't have to play that bullsh-t game. It is one of the ugly parts of the video game fields that I knew about and was hoping to get trapped by that. At the least, I'm not out neck deep in loans and having lawsuits from all fronts. 

RickB-Astoria

The video game industry is a gamble. When the odds are in your favor, it's fine to play the game but when the odds turns, you need to know when to get out before you are swallowed by deep debts and lawsuits trying to collect.

JBeaumont

That was a goal that you set for yourself in 2016, and told us to check back because it would be completed by end of 2017. I'm checking back, because you said we should.

My bet is that at the end of 2018 or in early 2019, when somebody follows up on what happened about achieving this NCBDC thing, you will have a similar story about not caring about it anymore because you've decided building design isn't worth pursuing and you're back to pursuing game design. It's been an alternating pattern with you for 10+ years now.

JBeaumont

More of your promises from that thread. This is from only a little more than a year ago. Do you see what I mean about how you flip-flop between intended careers, always making excuses for one and saying you're changing to the other, and never making any progress with either?

I'll prove to your sorry ass that I can put together a C64 video game for commercial release. There's still a user's base and a not too crowded market. ... There's about 15,000 or so world wide... more or less. Even if only 5000 paid $30 on the software, that's $150K. That would take care of the student loans and then some. Chew on that one for a bit....... bitch. There's a user base so what the hell.

RickB-Astoria

It's difficult to navigate and operate along two different careers that are entirely different career fields that don't entirely work with each other. Building Design as with anything architecture/engineering related is difficult to even make a consistent income in. One year its great. Next year it might be crap. When you work for yourself, your income is from the business income not some wage or salary unless you are going to draw on lines of credit to pay yourself or something like that when the cash flow stalls for long periods of time.

JBeaumont

What's the point of writing your resolutions publicly here if you get upset when we check back about them?

Jan 7, 18 10:25 pm
RickB-Astoria

JBeaumont, I'm not angry with you at the moment. I get angry with people are making it a point to personally attack me on the forum when I am not doing so to them. There is that saying.... "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything." This is not directed at you. There is certain ethical practices people fail to show from time to time like never attack the person. Attack the work.. ok. My statement... "Who gives a f---" wasn't meant to be aggressive or imply anger to you. If it came off that way, I apologize.

RickB-Astoria

My bet is that at the end of 2018 or in early 2019, when somebody follows up on what happened about achieving this NCBDC thing, you will have a similar story about not caring about it anymore because you've decided building design isn't worth pursuing and you're back to pursuing game design. It's been an alternating pattern with you for 10+ years now.

I'm already currently working on Goal 1, above. Goal #2 is scheduled to begin that formally in July. What I am doing right now pertains to Goal #1 and the last part is in Spring term and Goal #1 would be completed. 

There are some steps that I will begin working on during Spring term towards the NCBDC stuff as far as the preliminary work but I won't be getting too focused on that at the moment. I won't be filing for the NCBDC candidate application until July for the established exclusion period as discussed per AIBD policy. I'll be more than happy to discuss that further during that time frame.

Jan 8, 18 12:04 am
RickB-Astoria

Simply put, I'm not going to put the kind of work to produce a high definition (1920x1080 or Ultra 4K) video game akin to Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy and other similar high end 2d video games for Windows computer (capitalizing on modern PC graphic hardware, resolution, color palette, etc.) UNLESS you or anyone has some very serious financial capitalization offers. Due to the increased work of producing 2d graphics for high definition resolutions from 1080P to the ultra 4K screen resolutions, if you offer anything significantly less than $50 Million upfront and complete package offer of $100 to $150 Million, I'd say...... "Go F--- off !!!!" Nothing personal but we are talking serious production work requires serious capital and human resource.

RickB-Astoria

That 2016 'resolution' as you put it made no sense to actually pursue by any measure. The CPBD maybe a minor thing to you or some others here but it is a realistic goal that could have some career related benefit for me. That video game thing.... I had to pause an think about it. Who am I doing it for? A few jerks on an architecture forum? There is no sense in doing that. If I am going to seriously pursue development of a video game or other software projects, it has to be for something more substantive than to "impress" a few ass clowns on an architecture forum. In the business of video games, you have to give it your A game all the time. My point about making a 2d video game for PC, it has to be really a step up from 1995 since a PC, these days, has far higher graphics and other technical features than the SNES. One has to really put some serious effort. I'm not going to go through that effort without some serious capital. When you look into the work hours involved to produce video games, the amount of work to produce video games are calculated in "work years" if not "work centuries". Chrono Trigger was over 1 whole work century to develop and produce (ie. 140 work years) To produce games people are willing to put out serious money is going to take some serious work hours. When you look at what it would take to produce AAA level games for SNES, you are talking some serious work no matter what. Amazing... isn't it. Even architects don't work that hard on projects unless you got a very large human resource staff.

RickB-Astoria

Designing a house for a client might take me 300-500 or so hours. That's only about 0.25 work years. Even a significant project for a one person would be maybe 0.5 work years worth of work. You might invest up to about 1 work year in a 2 year long project because rarely does anyone work on solely one project for one to two years full-time. A work year as indicated is basically a 2080 hour work year. I'm not saying firms don't invest that more hours but those firms aren't solo-practitioners. In building design and architecture and similar work, I can do by myself or with a small team and still do the work and compete. I don't need to compete with Square Enix, Microsoft, Sony and these other companies head on just to get any serious money. The kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns are not getting the cash capitalization for projects like they used to around 2013. There is a current trend of people backing off on crowdfunding after several significant campaigns failing to deliver. This has hurt crowdfunding somewhat.

While it is nice that video game development does have crowdfunding but it really is a hard to put the work people want for the money they spent on the rather paltry amount of money you would get on a typical campaign. $3K to $35K for a team of 3-5 individuals working full-time for a year or two???? Not good.

25 years ago, I might have been willing to spend a year of 40 hours a week (including hours on the weekends) for 6 months to a year or two to produce a video game with a couple friends or something like that and do it entirely without any investors. Now... not so eager to go through that crap.

RickB-Astoria

25 years ago, I might have been willing to spend 40 hours a week (including hours on the weekends) for 6 months to a year or two to produce a video game with a couple friends or something like that and do it entirely without any investors. Now... not so eager to go through that crap.

RickB-Astoria

The building designer certification is around: 

$50 for the initial application fee, then the exam test exam fees are about $40 or so per exam of the 5 exams section. (That's my estimate) I estimate the exams would be about $200 if all exams are passed the first time without retakes. Then there is roughly the $150 annual certification fee. Stamp and emboss seal and a paper copy of the certification (for the wall) would cost an additional amount of money but like anything else, it's kind of an achievement like getting licensed and having your license certificate. To that, its optional and a matter of personal preferences. 

People can criticize the value of anything.... even an architect license. So why go there? No need. 

Regarding projects where a license isn't required, it is just a certification that you may use to promote your value as someone more than just another joe schmoe. In some places, where an architect license isn't issued, having a certification/license effectively means the same thing to people in general.... it means you have been assessed to have some area of proficiency by third party and that it isn't just your word. BEYOND the license or certification, the proof ultimately lie in your work. In my opinion, that ultimately matters more than any piece of paper but I value the certification program and some here may value the architect license. 

Ultimately, the goal is to stand apart from mediocrity and towards higher quality work. I rather pick up more quality work than mediocre projects but we still have to do them to make a living and pay the bills but I rather have more quality projects that would lend to being able to provide that kind of work and be fairly compensated for it. It all goes hand in hand. I'm not necessarily talking skyscrapers or anything like that. If you are an architect, you know what I mean.... or I would seriously hope you do.

RickB-Astoria

Therefore, JBeaumont, I'm not interested in pursuing video game development work unless the price is right for the work necessary for it to make sense. I'm not interested in making a video game just to impress a few bozos on this forums. It's not a valuable use of time by any means. CPBD certification is more valuable use of time than it would be to make a video game just to impress people on an ARCHITECTURE forum. As for building design work, albeit a tough field for consistent income, it is what it is.

JBeaumont

I don't care whether you pursue video game development or not. It wasn't my goal, or even one in which I have any interest.  My eyes blur over when I read about video games - I just don't care. It was YOUR goal, and you'd told us to check back at the end of 2017 to see what you'd accomplished! All I'm saying is that you never do seem to reach any of these goals, and when we do check back as directed, you always say you've lost all interest in whatever it was you said you were going to do, and now you're pursuing a different career, with different new goals ... and then you don't reach those next goals either. And you do this every year. At the end of 2018 I fully anticipate that you're going to write the exact same paragraph above, except with "building design" and "building" filled in in place of "video game development" and "video game", and some new career fantasy instead of "CPDB certification" and "building design". If not, well then... prove me wrong. Good luck.

RickB-Astoria

Fair enough then JBeaumont.

RickB-Astoria

If your point is.... follow through on the CPBD stuff as with the goals above then okay.

Bench

Seems appropriate

Jan 8, 18 7:37 am
tintt

In 2018 I resolve to find a partner. I need a match.com thing for finding business partners. Is there such a thing?

Jan 8, 18 9:11 am
randomised

Craigslist

tintt

I have trust issues. I don't do craigslist anymore.

RickB-Astoria

2018 GOALS

1. Complete my Associates degree in Historic Preservation at the community college and get it completed in full. This is in motion already and in play so it should be estimated to be completed before July 2018 comes around.

Still on track.

2. Begin the NCBDC certification for Certified Professional Building Designer status credential. It should be an accomplishment on my part of completing something with regards to my building design occupation. For much the same reason anyone pursuing licensure as Architect. To attain that credential. In every respect, hard work. In every respect, an achievement. Perhaps, after completing the NCBDC certification, I may work towards other challenges along the way... When do I plan to complete this, I plan to complete the NCBDC certification process by 2020. There are processes in the certification that I do not have complete control over but I hope to complete the CPBD status by early or sometime during the year 2019. This is why I titled the topic 2018(+) because part of this will likely lap into 2019 but beginning the NCBDC Certification Candidate status is planned to be happening between now and early 2018. 

That is on track for beginning the application process in July 2018. 

3. By unpopular demand, I'll reinitiate the goal from 2016 (sort of).

Video game for PC in 2d (real 2d graphics). It will probably be at part-time pace. Lets give a conservative progress development demo at about December 2019 (unless I manage to move a teedy bit ahead of schedule. 

Jan 22, 18 3:57 am
randomised

I'd drop everything and work on that video game if I were you ;)

RickB-Astoria

Ha! Why?

randomised

seems way more fun than historic preservation or boring credentials :)

RickB-Astoria

Alright.... lets keep it in for December 2019 if not earlier. It's a fun goal to do to unwind from "historic preservation or boring credentials". :)

RickB-Astoria

Perhaps, at some point when there is something more tangible than just ethereal ideas in the mind, there will likely be a lot of gfx work to hammer out. I have an idea but have to get this down into a game documentation. 

RickB-Astoria

Ok.... Goal #2 gets extended:

Goal #2. 

Part A: Begin the NCBDC certification for Certified Professional Building Designer status credential. It should be an accomplishment on my part of completing something with regards to my building design occupation. For much the same reason anyone pursuing licensure as Architect. To attain that credential. In every respect, hard work. In every respect, an achievement. Perhaps, after completing the NCBDC certification, I may work towards other challenges along the way... When do I plan to complete this, I plan to complete the NCBDC certification process by 2020. There are processes in the certification that I do not have complete control over but I hope to complete the CPBD status by early or sometime during the year 2019. This is why I titled the topic 2018(+) because part of this will likely lap into 2019 but beginning the NCBDC Certification Candidate status is planned to be happening Summer 2018.

Part B: Obtain Oregon CCB License. (Residential General Contractor - level). I may potentially obtain also the (Residential Developer license) at some point if I got into the developer side of things but at a later time. RGC license.... work on to complete or substantially completed by DECEMBER 2019 to DECEMBER 2020. 

Rationale: Building Design + Build services. Technically, Design and Construction Project Management and control over sub-contracting the trades and skilled instead of leaving that to clients. As design professionals, we should be better equipped (than most clients, if not all, in the residential realm) to determine the quality of the crafts trades and through working experience and familiarity of the trades people to know who can do the work properly and those who just can't. As professionals, we know (or should) what the project needs in construction trade skills because we designed it. In other words, increased oversight over construction outcome. 

Goal #3 
By unpopular demand, I'll re-initiate the goal from 2016 (sort of).

Video game for PC in 2d (real 2d graphics). It will probably be at part-time pace. Lets give a conservative progress development demo at about December 2020 (unless I manage to move a teedy bit ahead of schedule. [ Note: Priority is lowered for focus on one business being the focal point. In other words, I'll get to it after I get some work going on the Goal 1 and Goal 2 Part A and Part B ] 

Jan 28, 18 2:14 am
RickB-Astoria

Thanks Wood Guy for reminding me. It was on my mind for some time but might as well get 'er done as well.

RickB-Astoria

Goal #3... well.... I probably could still squeeze the goal in ahead of time. Hell, lets see about DECEMBER 2019 or earlier. It's something fun to do to unwind from Goal #1 and Goal #2 Part A and Part B.

RickB-Astoria

Goal #1. Complete my Associates degree in Historic Preservation at the community college and get it completed in full. This is in motion already and in play so it should be estimated to be completed before July 2018 comes around.

Goal #1 is now essentially completed. Just the formality of the ceremony and grades submitted but in any case of the matter, it's a passing grade so it'll be just fine. 

Jun 11, 18 10:13 pm
joseffischer

congratulations

RickB-Astoria

Degree conferred June 15th and the degree certificate received last week. That goal is completed. 

ArchNyen
This is a forum. Not a blog.
Jun 11, 18 11:18 pm
RickB-Astoria

Who said it was a blog? PS: This is a topic thread.

Finished the ARE (4.0) in March got my NCARB credential a week ago. 

Now If I can lose some weight and get the funding for my community garden and other projects.

I would say I am 40% done with the list of 2018 goals, the ARE was a big deal taking a test every 4 weeks.

How is everyone else doing on their 2018 goals?

Jun 12, 18 9:32 am
RickB-Astoria

Congrats on it, Peter.

shellarchitect

Congrats Peter!  that's a pretty major goal accomplished

Jun 12, 18 4:29 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: