Archinect
anchor

New York Architecture School Recommendations

Aidan Han

Hi, 

I am researching architecture schools in New York (only) for my second BFA degree or M.Arch1 since I have an interior design BFA degree at Pratt 2016 with some working experience. I am currently looking at options (Columbia M.Arch1 / CCNY M.Arch1 / Cooper Union B.Arch ) so far but I would like to know more if you guys have additional suggestions. I am concerned about the tuition so I put CCNY and Cooper Union on my list still with Columbia because I think it's worth paying. 

I know these options: Pratt / Parsons but I need more suggestions I may not know in New York. 

I know I have to figure out which school fits myself the most but I want to make sure what schools are available for me in New York. 

Here is what I care about:

- sustainable environment 

- good reputation / name value

- well-rounded curriculum / competitive academic environment

- great professional faculties 

Nov 30, 17 12:09 pm
archinine
There are no other accredited schools in the city which you have not listed. A high school gpa is irrelevant to graduate school applications. Why would you pursue a BFA when you already have one? It is very atypical and not very cost effective to do a second bachelors. It sounds like you need to spend a little more time deciding what you want to do, what your goals are, and how this degree will help you get there. Otherwise you might find yourself in a pile of debt still not sure. Continuing to work in the meant time as you figure that out certainly won't hurt.

No one can tell you if you're qualified for an ivy. Acceptance to any school incredibly subjective. Frankly having an ivy stamp on your resume as an architect doesn't do you much good unless you're already wealthy and plan to immediately open your own practice. It may sound superior but most firms, especially in NYC, couldn't care less about an ivy diploma and some may even avoid hiring such alumni as they tend to be rather pretentious and untrainable. Figure out your long term goals and work from there.
Nov 30, 17 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Aidan Han

Thanks for your comments.

The reason I chose B.Arch for Cooper Union is that they don't have M.Arch1 and I thought it won't take much time to finish BFA as a second degree. Also, I want to spend a little more time deciding what I want to do but I still need a Arch degree to have more job options in Architecture field. 

It sounds like Cooper Union and CCNY may be the best options available for me in New York. 

Nov 30, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
msparchitect

"t may sound superior but most firms, especially in NYC, couldn't care less about an ivy diploma and some may even avoid hiring such alumni as they tend to be rather pretentious and untrainable." - WOW. That's not true at all. But I guess I'm Ivy and work at pretty prestigious firm in the city where all of the associates and partners are Yale, Princeton, Columbia, or Harvard. My last 2 offices were the same. 

Nov 30, 17 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I've worked with a few Columbia historic preservation grads that were uniformly great, and couple of architecture grads that were terrible in an office setting.

Nov 30, 17 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Aidan Han

You're implying the ivy league diploma doesn't do much...

Nov 30, 17 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I would simply say I have observed that the quality of the graduates I have encountered varies. ("quality" as measured by their effectiveness in a practice setting)

Nov 30, 17 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: