Archinect
anchor

Which all Japanese architecture firms take foreign Interns?

Hey guys,

I was thinking of interning in Tokyo. I am a registered architect from India and have a year of experience. 

When I searched for the firms I got a lot of names but i am confused which ones will take in a foreign candidate as an intern. Please help with where can I apply for, being not from Japan and no experience in Japanese language? I can start from first week of January '18.

Thanks and Regards,

Anshul

(P.S. - If anyone who have worked in Japan and in other countries, Please share your experience of working there. How do you compare both the places of work individually?)

Nov 23, 17 2:17 am
randomised

Don't know your opinion on slavery but interns don't get paid there, remember that...

Plenty of info here on archinect about slaving/interning in Japan, just use the search function ;)

Nov 23, 17 4:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Only one year experience and already a registered arch? Fancy.
Nov 23, 17 6:56 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I registered the day of my graduation.

Nov 23, 17 7:39 am  · 
 · 
hellion

it's easy in some countries. In Peru, after you finish your BArch or BSArch, you present a thesis to the Board and if you pass you get your license. In the Philippines, you just log a minimum number of hours as required by the Board (from your internships during your studies to after graduating), apply to take the board exam and if you pass you're licensed. I got my license a year after I graduated.

Nov 23, 17 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Damn, lower standards I guess. That explains why we ask for in-person interviews and a minimum of 10 years post-licensing experience before accepting foreign-trained architects.

Nov 23, 17 10:54 am  · 
 · 
hellion

I think in those instances, qualifications depend on what position is being applied for. In some regions of Asia, even with less than 10 years (or perhaps at least 2-5 years) of experience, you can get a job overseas. I have colleagues around my age and same years of experience wh o hold mid to high level job positions in firms in Dubai, Singapore, Vietnam, China, and even in the US and the UK. The challenging ones to get into are Hong Kong and Japan because of the language requirement. And about a handful of them aren't even licensed---or would get licensed later on in their career for formality purposes. At the end of the day, the license or the title is just an extra "push." The duration and the depth of one's experience still has the heavier weight.

Nov 23, 17 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

In addition: and about a handful of them aren't even licensed or would get licensed later on in their career for formality purposes. ---> Such as when they decide to open or start their own practice. // even with less than 10 years (or perhaps at least 2-5 years) of experience, you can get a job overseas. ---> some get licensed right away even with minimal years of experience to start their own practice or because their co-managing a business or a firm (family owned, etc.) or it's a minimum requirement to get an entry-level job.

Nov 23, 17 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
rexperlado

Is this about query of apprenticeship in Japan?...or boast about each and everyone's licenses hahaha...i wonder.  

Anyway, let me share my experience there for 3 years.  I worked for 3 different companies (Consulting and Constructing), located in Okayama and Tokushima.  In the consulting firm, work starts at 8 am and end at 12 midnight (without) overtime pay hahaha...it's normal because it's their way of life and dedication to work.  However, in the construction firm life is a bit balance work ends at 6 pm.  Sad to say...i have never seen any expatriate apprentice...nowadays may be different.

So if anyone here planning to work in Japan, i suggest learn basic Nihongo and prepare yourself working for long hours.

Apr 3, 18 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: