Archinect
anchor

Advice on academic grade/standing for architecture school

zzzbk77

Hi

I would like to ask some advice about academic standing to get into architecture school. I'm in my 4th year of study in finance and leaning towards applying to dalhousie's beds program next year.

During my 2nd year, I had two D's which I retook and got A-s in them. My gpa right now is around A- (3.8+) but I am thinking of dropping one of my finance course ( W on transcript) because I'm not confident that I can pass it this semester. I just wanna hear some advice if those would look bad for my application ( 2 D's but repeated and a W). I estimate that by the time I apply my gpa would be around 3.70 and I am still working on my portfolio.

Thank you for your advice!!!

Oct 28, 17 1:00 pm
No-thing

Effect is minuscule as long as GPA meets the minimum - and 3.7 is WAY past that minimum.  Beyond that nobody really cares.  Portfolio is king - ie. the main decision maker.  GPA is lowest on the list of considerations for admittance. I don't think they look that closely on individual classes and their marks if it's from another major either- they just look at the overall GPA.  Mine looked way worse than yours (couple fails etc..but still graduated meeting the minimum GPA and it was below that 3.7 of yours) and I got in to every M.Arch/BED I applied to in Canada including Dalhousie.

Oct 28, 17 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
That's really not a bad gpa in a degree that is not easy. The fact that you retook the courses to boost it says a lot. If you are particularly concerned you can make a note about it in the personal statement, though it seems pretty clear what happened in that you corrected it. Focus on the portfolio, personal statement and gre.
Oct 29, 17 4:19 am  · 
 · 
zzzbk77

Thank you so much for the comments! That helps a lot. I think Im gonna focus now more on my portfolio.

Oct 29, 17 8:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: