Archinect
anchor

How to deal with being slow at work?

AlinaF

Hi everyone,

I just graduated and work at a small firm.The job is very fast paced and stressful. 

The problem is I am quite slow at doing things. Or at least I am not as fast as I thought I would be.

It takes me more time than usual to figure out the most efficient way of doing things without compromising on quality. To be honest, I have always been a slow worker, who does things very accurately and carefully and goes through many iterations to make sure that no mistakes occur.

Sometimes, I miss internal deadlines in terms of completing all the tasks I am given and the work is given instead to someone more experienced who does it faster. Sometimes the boss asks other people to help me with the work to finish quicker. 

I have noticed that some colleagues get frustrated with my speed of doing things and especially when they have to cover up for me. Was your first job like that and do you think they will give me the opportunity to improve or could I get fired because of this? 

Do you have any advice on how I can work faster?

Oct 17, 17 5:26 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 13 Comments

JonathanLivingston

Give less fucks.  

Oct 17, 17 5:35 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

I think it's give fewer fucks.

Oct 17, 17 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I don't care

Oct 17, 17 7:34 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur
Have more confidence, learn how to use the software, given even less fucks.
Oct 17, 17 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
spiketwig

learn to prioritize. also, not everything deserves iterations. 

for example if you are asked to draw, say, an accessible restroom, don't do more than 2 versions. I see this all the time with interns that I ask for a few studies and they come back with (literally) 12 options. If more options are needed, let them tell you that. 

If you're just slow at CAD/Revit...learn the keyboard shortcuts. I swear, the number of people I see clicking away at the ribbons blows my mind, it's 10x slower. 

Oct 17, 17 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Students shouldn't be allowed to graduate architecture school without passing a test on keyboard shortcuts. Most recent graduates I encounter don't know anything about them.

Oct 17, 17 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
spiketwig

Whereas I don't even know where the tools are on the ribbon... the first thing I do whenever forced to upgrade my CAD is kill every single dialogue window. Just me and the command line and I'm happy :D

Oct 17, 17 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

acad pgp

Oct 18, 17 11:05 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

yesyesyes! My first command is typically CLEANSCREENON because I hate all of those popup menus and windows and I hate hate hate the ribbon. I have no idea where anything is on there. With every new install, I have to go setup my commands again so they are what I learned/am used to, instead of whatever comes out of the box. I hate it. Somehow my 'profile' never saves these command settings. When I work with a new grad, I challenge them to use clean screen and see what they know in terms of commands.

Oct 18, 17 11:40 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

thisisnotmyname, I 100% agree. I see new grads all the time looking for stuff on the ribbon and it makes me so crazy. If they're asking me a question and I'm standing there watching them struggle, I just tell them the command.

Oct 18, 17 11:41 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

What can an employer do help slow employees?  I've got one.

Oct 17, 17 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Get their production speed up to the office average.

Oct 18, 17 9:39 am  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Set expectations. Give them a goal for each task. Most people want to please, so impress upon them that you expect this task to take Xhrs, Or check back in with me after a couple hours to let me know how its going and if you have any questions. Chances are they will usually beat the goal and dive into the task immediately knowing you expect quick feedback about it.

Oct 18, 17 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

trust me, you're lucky. you could be faster than everyone else and bored out of your mind for days on end like me

Oct 17, 17 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

then ask for more challenging task. if you are siting there bored for days on end, those are days you could be growing with more challenging task instead of being stagnant. so you are actually hurting yourself and stunting your growth and value. I once was hired at a company for a certain wage, and the task they gave I would use only 40-60% of time to complete accurately. I would then ask colleagues and management if they have anything they needed help with, long story short I got a 4k bump in 3.5 months of being hired.

Oct 18, 17 11:20 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

many times you have no idea what he owner/ principals, etc. have in the hopper or clients they maybe turning away because they think they don't have the man/woman power. I was even once given a 23,000s.f. generic turnkey side job by a principal because he thgt it not worth the hassle of creating a job file and no real significant profit

Oct 18, 17 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

being slow but checking your work and doing it correctly the first time is probably on balance faster than doing your work quickly but with many mistakes that need to be corrected.

Things should improve with experience.

Over and OUT 

Peter N

Oct 17, 17 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Slow and steady wins the race.

Oct 18, 17 12:50 am  · 
 · 
randomised

But then you might get bored as Koww pointed out ^^

Oct 18, 17 10:38 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Everyone is slow when they first start. That's why you get paid less and your billable hours are cheaper. Relax. Learn hotkeys. Eventually you'll get faster.
Oct 18, 17 11:47 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I would say relatively slow. I knew people who if you gave them the time still would be drawing a basic stair section until next presidential election! and it would still be wrong

Oct 18, 17 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

^ true, but depends on the project

Oct 18, 17 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
thatsthat

I used to share a workload with someone who took WEEKS to do 1 sketch that took me 2 hours to complete.  And it was so frustrating because he wasn't stupid at all; he just took a lot time reviewing, making iterations, revising, making more iterations, reviewing, etc., when all that was expected was picking up some redlines on 1 drawing.

As a new grad, they often train you in school to provide more than what is asked for.  Which can be great sometimes.  But most of the time, your boss is asking for exactly what they expect to see.  And they are asking for exactly what they want because, unlike school, your time is actually now worth money to people.  Prioritize the tasks you know will take you a few minutes, get that stuff out of the way, then spend time picking up the more time consuming tasks. 

Oct 18, 17 11:57 am  · 
 · 
zonker

I work at a very hectic fast paced office - everyone has to use keyboard shortcuts on Revit - The best way to learn Revit, is to read the manual and do the tutorials online - don't ask busy co-workers - show how resourceful you can be by figuring it out for yourself. - give yourself deadlines - then strive to beat them. When my PA/PM asks for something  - I have to produce - no excuses - or the gives the work to someone else - 3 times of that and your done

Oct 18, 17 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
leaves

You are just a fresh grad, still got a lot to learn.

Anyway, you should talk to them.

Eventually, you will find what suits you best.

Oct 18, 17 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Are you still slow?

Aug 22, 19 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Biju Augustian

It will be ok after some times

Aug 23, 19 6:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: