Archinect
anchor

The CARVER Matrix Method for Grad School

RCIXM24

For anybody having a hard time deciding what school to go, fear not! Try the CARVER Matrix to determine the best choice, choose your parameters and objective, allocate numbers and choose away! I put together this Matrix with some personal objectives and interests as an example.

"The CARVER matrix was developed by the United States special operations forces during the Vietnam War. CARVER is an acronym that stands for Criticality, Accessibility, Recuperability (Return for our purposes), Vulnerability, Effect and Recognizability and is a system to identify and rank specific targets so that attack resources can be efficiently used."

-From Wikipedia.

This Matrix has been used on Risk and Project Management Management, as well as other endeavours where decisions had to be made. What do you guys think?

Aug 15, 17 6:59 pm
Spoons

This should have been done in grasshopper.  

Aug 15, 17 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

psssh, Dynamo.

This is can definitely be scheduled.

Aug 15, 17 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

I'll add some renderings and some design philosophy!

Aug 15, 17 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

You are wasting your time, Sir. Focus on your portfolio + recommendations, and pursue the school that gives you financial aid.

Aug 15, 17 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

I agree with you wholeheartedly sir. But even then, these things have to be planned out with thought of my best interests. For my case, my objective is to become a Licensed Architect so I can practice. I gotta sustain myself before pursuing my future goals

Aug 16, 17 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

How do you decide on the amount of points and why only those uni's?

Aug 16, 17 5:05 am  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

I added some basic descriptors on it but those vary from person to person. So for instance Clemson won for me due to their IPAL program for rapid licensure/well known program and cost.

Aug 16, 17 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

If your end goal is academic research then your Criticality value should reflect that. Modify as needed! It is completely customizable

Aug 16, 17 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Did this matrix actually change your mind or simply confirm what you already knew?

Aug 17, 17 4:36 am  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

I'd say it helped me choose objectively. Its easy to say that I want to relocate across country on a whim, but it when you face the reality of a decision like that it can be tough. This isn't the end though, I plan to visit some of these schools and add to my planning as I learn more. I plan to enter in 2019 so this is just part of the whole preparation process (I.E Portfolio, Letters of Rec, Good GRE scores etc)

Aug 17, 17 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: