Foreign undergrad student looking to get licensed in the US or UK. Advice please!


Hi! I am an undergrad student from Southeast Asia, taking up my BS Architecture (5 year course) in a university that is neither recognized by RIBA, nor particularly known.

I've recently realized that I want to be able to work internationally, and that if I get a license in my home country, it will most likely not be respected anywhere (compared to RIBA or NAAB). Here are a few questions I have:

1 - I am planning to take my master's in either the US or the UK, to hopefully get accredited in RIBA or NAAB. Which one will be more beneficial for employment in international offices? And which one will be easier to acquire considering my bachelor's degree generally counts for nothing? (Does RIBA allow you to skip to part 2 or do I have to find some other way to get my part 1 first?)

2 - I know a lot of architecture graduates practice without even acquiring a license, but I am scared that my background and a license from a 3rd world country will pigeonhole me into cadmonkey tasks for the rest of my life, or limit the jobs that will be available to me. Any insights regarding this?

 I am still lost right now so any other piece of advice would be appreciated.Thank you very much!

Aug 13, 17 12:48 pm
This question gets asked probably once a week. Search through the forums and look at NCARB and RIBA websites for info on what localities licenses transfer from. If you're that lost, email either directly in regards to your specific situation - which you haven't really explained here as we don't know your home country. Querying archinect will only give you anecdotal information with which I would not recommend basing major life decisions.
Aug 13, 17 1:37 pm

Firstly, while the RIBA is known internationally, and validates the degree programmes of non-UK schools, it has itself no standing in the UK.

If you wanted to be RIBA accredited, I guess you could sit their exams. I have no idea how much it costs, so suggest you go to the RIBA directly. You won't be able to skip Part 1.

Depending on which country you are from, you might find the APEC Architect agreement covers you for international recognition.

See this link@ 

More importany that being RIBA, is having the right skills and experience, which takes time. If your home registration meets the requirements of the APEC Architect, which are (to me) fairly international in scope, then you should be fine.

Avoiding the CAD Monkey issue is however something else....

Aug 14, 17 11:14 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: