Archinect
anchor

Bachelor's in Architectural Engineering...then what?

kylesvoboda

I am currently going into my sophomore year at the University of Kansas, studying Architectural Engineering. I understand I still have a year or two before I start thinking about my Master's, but I want to start thinking of my options. I realize that a Master's isn't necessarily required to do well in this field, but it will definitely pay off and I'm interested in it (I'll probably wait to get it until I am involved in a company since there's a chance they pay for it). I've been advised not to do get my Master's in ArcE if I already have a Bachelor's degree in it. Should I try and get my Master's in Construction Management? Mechanical Engineering? Architecture? 

I will admit I am more on the engineering side. I have decent design capabilities but the engineering aspect of it is where I really want to pursue and excel in, and what I believe I am best at. Please comment on what you would advise the best route to be! Thank you!

Jul 17, 17 12:51 am
geezertect

Yes.  Possibly Yes.  Definitely No!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 17, 17 7:38 am  · 
 · 
Schoon

You can definitely get a good job without a master's degree in the AE field.  However, some of the top AE firms (SOM, AECOM for example) prefer applicants who have earned their masters.  

I think waiting until after you've spent a few years in the field is a decent idea.  Definitely don't jump into a masters program before you know what it is you want to specialize in.  Do you have to pick a concentration for your AE degree?  

My advice is to not think about getting a masters degree at this point and to let your passion develop (or not) naturally.  If you discover a specific area of engineering you want to practice, consider a masters degree in that area.  Otherwise getting the degree simply to expand career opportunities may not be worth the cost or the time. 

Jul 17, 17 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: