Archinect
anchor

Looking for employment in NYC

A.I.T.
Hello, my name is Isabel, I'm from Puerto Rico and I came to NYC for some interviews I got called for, but I'm still looking for more firms to apply because I haven't heard from any yet. I'm applying for Junior Architect position. Do anyone know of a recruitment company in NYC for architecture that could help? Thank you!

Jul 14, 17 4:40 pm
randomised
Yes I've tried those and indeed, glassdoor, lensa, resume-library, zip recruiter, but I will keep at it, thank you!
Jul 15, 17 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Can I tell you something? I really don't mean to sound rude, but I have a lot of experience in NYC:

1) In my opinion, other than California, NYC is one of the most complicated places to practice in in the USA. There are 4 different building codes that can be applicable to any project, not to mention the zoning resolutions and permitting procedures. 

2) Taking the above into account, coming from Puerto Rico and studying in Brazil puts two things into question: your ability to speak English well enough, and secondly your understanding (or lack thereof) of units of measurement and the language. 

3) While code, permitting, etc can be delegated to other members of the team either with more experience, potential employers can assume that you will cost more money than local candidates. 

4) Even if potential employers had to train you in understanding the Imperial unit system and you had no responsibility in doing anything related to code, you will mainly have only three options: 

a) Pick up redlines

b) Build Models

3) Create Renderings

This is an impossible situation to be in because:

a.1 Interns can be hired for much cheaper than full-time junior architects.

a.2 Interns can be hired to build models.

a.3 Renderings are usually outsourced abroad.

4) To be a designer in NYC, you have to understand the code, Americans with Disabilities Act, among other NYC-specific things. 

SO: 

If you are stubborn to work in NYC, apply to an international practice that has projects abroad where you can market your experience with Metric Units or apply to work in retail firms where design is less important and you can just copy and paste information.

Jul 16, 17 2:01 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Also, sponsorship is expensive... architects are cheap... unless you are really good, or can bring in clients due to your personality and talent...

Jul 16, 17 2:04 am  · 
 · 
TED

PR residents are US citizens and do not need visas or sponsorships.

Jul 16, 17 4:07 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Many gringos don't know that TED... sad, but true

Jul 16, 17 10:47 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

or connections...

Jul 16, 17 2:05 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Or try your luck as a doorwoman, they apparently earn great money and have decent hours. Only thing is they're unionised so might be tough to get a foot in the door.

Jul 16, 17 2:20 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

There is a large continent of Puerto Ricans in NYC, should be several architects with PR backgrounds as well. Get involved in the PR community and search them out.

Jul 16, 17 6:42 am  · 
 · 
Thank you.
Yes, I am a US citizen and do not need sponsorship or visa.
The metric system used in Puerto Rico is the same as in the US.
I am fully capable of applying building codes of any country.
Jul 16, 17 11:32 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Some very rude / ignorant / borderline racist comments coming out. For the record guys there is a huge population of Peurto Ricans in NYC and surely plenty of architects from that. This person is already getting interviews, clearly she has something to offer no need for the rudeness.

Isabel - be wary of recruiters as they are hit or miss. Some can be great though others are sharks. They often post here, linkedin and indeed. With talent having less years of experience, they tend to just be the middleman taking a cut of what would otherwise be your salary.

If you happen to speak Spanish that could be a great asset at some firms, I've seen posts in the past of firms which do work around Latin America but are based in NYC - if that's something you're interested in - looking for bilingual designers.

If a firm is too stupid to realize PR isn't part of the US they aren't worth your time.

The imperial system isn't that hard to wrap your head around though it isn't as logical as metric. I've done projects in both it's still architecture. That is a ridiculous excuse to not hire someone, same with codes - they vary but most are based on IBC at the core with local amendments/variables.

Best of luck!
Jul 16, 17 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

FYI, my comment about a doorwoman was just a little jab at BBlogger

Jul 16, 17 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Thank you!
Jul 16, 17 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
@archinine Thank you so much for taking of your time to respond to my inquiry. It's refreshing to come across open minded and inclusive people.

All the best!
Jul 16, 17 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

oh be quiet- racist my ass... there was nothing racisf about what I said... just the harsh reality if business in NYC... yes- apply to puerto rican-owned firms if that's what you think the answer is... all you politically correct pinheads are just too afraid to tell isabel the not-so-politically correct reasons for why firms may not be calling back...

Jul 16, 17 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Edit PR *is part of the US.

No problem Isabel! People like bulgar are the sorts you'll want to avoid. They tout knowledge on matters they clearly don't understand, yet can't type or use grammar correctly in the only language they apparently speak.

Weird how some seem to forget, and get upset when reminded the US - especially NYC - is a diverse place filled with hard working people from many different backgrounds and countries.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this and unfortunately it probably won't be the last time. Plenty of NYC firms are more than welcoming to a diverse group of talent, I wish you the best in joining such a place.

Bulgar - no one said she wasn't getting responses and call backs, she got some interviews and wants to continue applying. Not every interview leads to a job especially at the junior level. Job hunting is hard for anyone period. Apparently you can't write or read, if you can get hired surely Isabel will have no trouble. I'm not afraid of you, nor your twisted 'truth'. Your xenophobia, toward a fellow citizen no less, simply saddens me.
Jul 16, 17 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Good luck! No xenophobia here... simply trying to help from my phone... I speak from experience with xenophobia from others. I speak spanish fluently as well so i have no idea where you are all getting this from...

Jul 16, 17 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Don't ever tell a woman she can't do something because it's hard.
Jul 16, 17 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

i would tell a man the same thing...

Jul 16, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
You're such a fun troll though
Jul 16, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

thanks ;)

Jul 16, 17 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
What an aspiration. Level 10 troll, unlocked! Congrats!
Jul 16, 17 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: