Archinect
anchor

Working without license

poorvi

I'm thinking of doing MS in Urban Design from British Columbia university and I have a B.arch from India. What are the employment opportunities like and will I still be required to get licensed for my bachelor's degree? Any information would be helpful.

Jun 21, 17 2:41 am
Non Sequitur
Sure, you can certainly apply for jobs in local offices if you're a competent draftsman but why a master in urban?

Is your goal to get licensed in Canada? If so, you'll need an accredited M.arch plus the minimum experience hours plus pass the exams.
Jun 21, 17 6:06 am  · 
 · 
poorvi

I'm looking into one year programs as two year programs will be quite expensive. I'm not looking to get licensed in Canada but if I finish my Ms in Urban desig,n will I still be able to work as an architect under architecture or construction companies without registration?

Jun 21, 17 6:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
You won't be considered an architect without a license. You can't get a license in Canada without the things I mentioned above. There is an alternative path for foreign trained people but that process is long and only really applying to those with existing foreign licenses and many years of experience.

With that said, you can still work in an office, but note that you can easily be restricted or pigeon-holed. The urban masters will not contribute much and you're best to look into m.arch as to not limit your options.
Jun 21, 17 7:34 am  · 
 · 
ahmedjirjees

@Non Sequitur I'm also aiming to do my master's degree in Canada and eventually get licensed and work there, but as I already have finished my bachelor of architecture degree in Jordan McGill has responded that it's an equivalent degree to the MArch program and I will not be allowed to enroll in a degree that I hold an equivalent of.

Nov 10, 17 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Note, your existing degree is likely not equivalent to a Canadian or US degree and I suspect you've misunderstood or something was lost in translation when you contacted McGill.

Nov 10, 17 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

In the US a registration for urban planners is a thing in a few states - but I think the OP is asking about architecture licensing. In Canada.

Nov 10, 17 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's nice up here. No guns, better beer, no trump. The list goes on.

Nov 10, 17 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

in the US we license everything except politicians.  Want to be a florist...need a license. Someone might get pricked with a rose thorn and need a booboo kiss.  Want to be president and get your paws on the nuclear code....go for it buddy.  

Nov 10, 17 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: