Archinect
anchor

How do you survive with rent in LA while attending grad school?

Leon_ordaz03

To those who are attending, how do you guys survive or make a living out there to pay rent while attending grad school [SCI ARC/USC] ? 

Feb 23, 17 10:32 am
Wilma Buttfit

The four-legged friends have it figured out. Maybe see what they do.

Feb 23, 17 10:57 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

student loans - get deep into debt then hope you can pay it off in this profession.

Feb 23, 17 11:09 am  · 
 · 
randomised

sell your body or mind or both

Feb 23, 17 11:11 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

Going to a cheaper school not in LA where the rent is even cheaper.

Feb 23, 17 11:35 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's only $90 for a class by the master himself.

Feb 23, 17 11:43 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Good one!

Feb 27, 17 12:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Easy: don't go if you can't afford it.

Man... students these days, amIright?

Feb 23, 17 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSdtKls9AXs

Actually met the dude one time.

Feb 23, 17 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

student loans and cup noodles. accept the fact you'll have to take out a large loan. I go to sci arc for grad and I basically take out all of the money they will give me for a loan and after deducting just my rent the remainder will have to go to the random supplies they make us buy in studio including TVs, Monitors, ridiculously expensive custom materials. The very little I save up goes to my food. 

Feb 26, 17 1:09 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Why would they make you buy a TV/monitor?

Feb 26, 17 3:40 am  · 
 · 
lilchan92

Its very common for a studio to do a full digital pin up for midterms or final they will have their entire studio buy the same tv or monitor for the review. We do a lot of animations and to show them at a review they want the class to mount a monitor and play the animations on loop. Ive also seen a studio that made everyone buy ipads for a pin up.

Feb 26, 17 4:25 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Well that's just stupid... They should've offered to purchase for students at the very least so that the next batch can use the same monitor if need be. Or simply rent it to students...dafuq are they thinking. As for iPads, students could be creative and bring an existing one for presentation while reimbursing a small sum to the owner. Srsly this revelation is ridiculous!

Feb 26, 17 7:12 am  · 
 · 
nn1993

WOW. That is ridiculous!

Feb 26, 17 8:05 am  · 
 · 
lilchan92

Yes It is stupid but the school embraces it and its expected off us. For the Ipads they require everyone to have the same model so the format looks nice. A lot of it if youre smart you can return back to the store after use but some of them they require for multiple times during the semester so its easier for you to just keep it.

Feb 26, 17 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

It is a fucking stupid school, attended these days by trust fund babies. The old SCIARC that actually taught architecture and how things should be built is gone. Buying monitors to become efficient Rhino monkeys.

Feb 27, 17 12:13 am  · 
 · 
lilchan92

We don't really use Rhino here but sure . Rant about how stupid you think the school is all you want. As much as I hate spending money, I can honestly say I have learned a lot from this school and that my two years here have been pretty good.

Feb 27, 17 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

what do you use... I can't imagine it's revit. 3dstudio, maya?? Are they basically teaching you how to render?

Sep 27, 17 11:18 am  · 
 · 
natematt
I know a lot of people out of the area's schools who openly acknowledge they will never be able to pay their loans off.

The problem is lack of financial planning. No one realizes how much trouble they are in until it's too late, and no one tells them not to do it.
Feb 26, 17 3:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Yellow trace, graphite, coffee stains. That's all you need for a successful pin up.

Enjoy that $200k debt.
Feb 26, 17 6:33 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

There a huge difference between top schools like columbia, gsd, sciarc, yale and some crap state school still churning out yellow trace and graphite...Not sure if the debt is worth it, but the education is.

Feb 26, 17 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I did yellow trace and graphite and got just as far as anyone else... But then again, I was still shooting slide film for portfolio back then.

Damn Chi, way to make me feel old but I'll take a good design on a scrap piece of paper than a shiny general rendering any day of the week.
Feb 26, 17 10:14 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Seems like all the firms in SoCal get a hard on for SLO kids anyway, switch mabye? But in all seriousness, it doesn't matter where you go to school it matters what your experience is, intern in school, network in school, I actually wish I had just gotten an associates and starting working. 

Feb 26, 17 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i vote for UCLA. State school. Pomona is good too.

Feb 27, 17 12:14 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Chigurh, there are plenty of other options for a good education. Heck, all three of those other schools you listed are similar price points, but from what I can gather offer better scholarships/grants. Also substantially harder to get into, but there are other options that are just better price points too.

Feb 26, 17 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
The more you take out in loans, the more your future boss will pay you. It's simple math, an architect with a fancy degree is always worth more to a firm than one from a lame state school. Clients are always asking where your junior staff graduated from, and will often refuse to sign contracts with firms that don't have enough SciArc grads. In fact, if the firm has 100% SciArc grads, clients will often voluntarily offer extra cash for projects. So, go ahead and take those loans without fear. You'll be paying them off in a couple of weeks on the first job, and the week after paying cash for a shiny new tesla. Cheers!
Feb 26, 17 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
nn1993

hahahahahaha

Feb 26, 17 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The horror of going to a lame state school is almost too much to bear. It is odd, though, in the rankings of engineering schools a lot of state schools like Michigan, Purdue, Georgia Tech, Illinois, ect. clean the clocks of Ivy schools that have tuitions four times as high. I'm sure the rankings of the Architectural schools are much more rational and accurate, though, and the innate superiority of the Ivys win out. And you can always go down to Mory's and sing the Whiffenpoof song if you feel you have been screwed out of a quarter of a million dollars.  

Feb 26, 17 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I can at least say that for Georgia Tech, the Architecture department has no correlation whatsoever to the Engineering department, to its detriment.

Sep 27, 17 11:40 am  · 
 · 
natematt

^Yeah, there are plenty of high quality and good reputation architecture schools that cost half as much as the Ivys... and Sci-arc.

Feb 26, 17 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Sci-arc is just notorious lololol

Feb 26, 17 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

yea you guys are right, all schools are the same.  My attorney went to the abraham lincoln college of law...I'm sure he got the same education as somebody at harvard. 

Feb 27, 17 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

So you are from Sciarc, right?

Feb 27, 17 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good thing architecture grads are not the same as lawyers.

Feb 27, 17 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

You sure?? I'd like to charge as much as they do.

Sep 27, 17 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Before he taught himself law and passed the bar exam, Abraham Lincoln taught himself surveying and platted out several towns in the Midwest. Guess he was short $200,000 to go to MIT and short $200,000 to go to Harvard Law. Old Abe couldn't even afford a lowly state school. Obviously he had a stunted career ahead of him. There is no justice!

Feb 27, 17 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

shit man, MIT and Harvard were only a nickle a year back then.

Feb 27, 17 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
BeaBea88

you don't need the added stress of not being able to make ends meet when you're in grad school. Cal Poly. 7500 a year for a masters. can't beat that. If you really want to learn you will learn anywhere you go 

May 26, 17 1:10 am  · 
 · 
Leon_ordaz03

3 months later and you guys are still talking S***?! I didn't think this thread would have gone far, let alone gave a crap about other ppl's financial situation, even worse, mines! lol I am here now, and there was nothing you guys said that we all don't already know, the fact that we need to take out a loan -_- No S***...Where is the wisdom at, the gets passed on from one person to the next?    

May 26, 17 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ The wisdom was to avoid expensive schools at all cost if one's financial status isn't steady.

You went ahead anyway and hear you are whinging about how there aren't any good advice for the next guy? Methinks your stupidity is a good lesson for posterity.

May 26, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

*Here

Damn comment section doesn't allow me to edit my OP.

May 27, 17 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
nomnom

For all you haters: Sci-ARC doesn't give a sh*t. All they care about is architecture and they're ferocious in design. They'll rip you a new one in order to get you up there. If you can't handle, you can try a different school. 

The majority of students are well-off so they don't have problems paying rent. To make ends meet, there's a bulletin board where you can find a few roommates (usually 2-4) after acceptance. Some apartments have wall partitions or rent out living rooms to cut cost. You can definitely find roommates but you'll have to take extra effort to reach out.

Sep 27, 17 5:53 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Did you register solely for the purpose of posting that rant?

Sep 27, 17 6:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What a wanker. Didy, how much of Dady's money did you waste on your fancy general arts degree?

Sep 27, 17 9:43 am  · 
 · 
nomnom

Ha. Daddy's money?
For a person that has been licensed since 2007, I'm seeing real maturity.

Sep 28, 17 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

how you figure 2007?

Sep 28, 17 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
nomnom

Your daddy's money.

Sep 28, 17 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

money well spent then.... eye roll

Sep 28, 17 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Blood, sperm donations.

On garbage day, drive around picking up scrap metal and sell it.

Sep 27, 17 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
nomnom

I don't answer to bitter people.

Sep 28, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

Totally unrelated but I met a student who was studying in South America for a full year I think and instead of cashing out for her accommodations, she struck a deal with a hostel in the city where she was studying. In exchange for free accommodation, she agreed to work part-time for the hostel at hours that didn't clash with her classes. So she would have classes at night, sleeping in the morning, then scrubbing floors or putting beddings or do receptionist stuff in the afternoon. But she wasn't studying architecture so she was able to balance it out because the time demand was less intense.  If you have friends or relatives who live nearby, or if you can strike a similar bargain, that will surely help cut costs for you. LA is a great city (or "laboratory" as they say) to study architecture, and the best schools in the US to rival the Ivy Leagues in the east coast are in the west coast, particularly in LA. 

Nov 15, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: