Archinect
anchor

Sketch Book

Tim DeCoster

Can anyone help me find my sketch book?

They have been dis-continued at the store I formerly bought them from. It has no name-brand, and no label other than what the store put on it, but it's their own code (#927 sketchbooks). No art supply store that I have visited seems to have them, and I've looked online with no avail.

Description:

It is 8" x 9.5"
50 pages
Black double-spiral bound
pocket inside the rear cover
Lightweight black cardboard cover which closes & fastens via a triangular flap that tucks into a slot on the front cover.

If anyone knows a product number, or better yet a store that carries this, please, please let me know. I've tried other styles, but they're just not the same.

Feb 21, 05 8:00 pm
milw-arch

Hi Tim,

You are a UW-Milwaukee grad right? Me too. I know that they were at Third Coast in the past. You could probably ask Jean or Larry who they order them from (or have ordered them from in the past).

I have one too but there's no brand name or anything listed, but that's where I got it from.

Lonni

Feb 22, 05 2:12 am  · 
 · 
Jordan Lloyd

DIY your own using cereal boxes.

Feb 22, 05 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

now i want one of these mysterious sketch book s as well.

they sound cooler than the anti-commercial ones that Muji makes.

Feb 22, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

The closest thing I can think of is Moleskin, but tell me if you find what you're looking for. I'm interested too.

Feb 22, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

and also i want German surgical specs like Libeskind's
and a black Armani jacket without the lapels

Feb 22, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

Lonni,

Yes, I was from UW-Milwaukee. I was introduced to these by the distinguished visiting critic (not saying names, but if you're from UWM you know who this is) and have been hooked ever since.

Third Coast doesn't seem to carry them anymore. I stopped in last week and they weren't certain if they will continue to sell them. I think certain faculty may demand the books be in stock(he's more adamant about these than I am even), so we'll see. I may talk with Larry to see if I can order a case of them directly. Thanks for the tip.

Feb 22, 05 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™
The Real Deal - Complete with Secret Pocket!

Feb 22, 05 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Already suggested that - just spelled it wrong. Moleskine - sorry. Not exactly what they're looking for. At least I don't think it is.

Feb 22, 05 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

A few things about Moleskine sketchbooks that you may want to consider:
1. not spiral-bound
2. off-white/cream-colored paper (at least the sketchbooks I've seen)

Personally, I think they make for better notebooks than sketchbooks

Feb 22, 05 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

Thanks for the suggestions, but this still itsn't it. I've just found out that my former prof. is the one who arranged to have my school sell these (so that he can buy them), so I will get in touch with him if they don't turn up at the school store soon. I didn't realize they came from such an obscure small company. I do now recall that he has been using the same sketch book for over 30 years. I get the feeling that he convinced someone to produce them for him and the school... because he as a single individual wouldn't be able to order enough to make it worth-while for the company. They for the most part are probably discontinued, and this is a special small quantity run... who knows. I just want some more.

LOL, this is begining to feel/look like a treasure hunt. I didn't mean to create a stir. Is anyone else as anal as me regarding sketch books? What other types does everyone use?

Feb 22, 05 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

i use a pile of napkins i constantly steal from mcdonalds.

Feb 23, 05 12:01 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

i make my own alot of times (usually the paper is too thick for the kinds of nibs on the pens)

but buying one also has its perks

Feb 23, 05 8:20 am  · 
 · 
st.

ordning & reda used to make a nice canvas-backed, book bound plain sketchbook in a variety of colors. i haven't been able to find any in the states, though. now they all seem to have junk written on them or are spiral bound.

Feb 23, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
rhodia
Feb 23, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

why does it matter? obviously the content has to be compensated,

Feb 27, 05 9:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: