Archinect
anchor

studying abroad?

natnatG

has anyone have an experience of studying abroad?

Im talking about those 1 year programs many schools are offering these days. my school is offering a 1 year junior study abroad program in Versailles, and I think many other schools have similar programs in Paris.

One of the things that I am worried about is that the only classes I am going to be able to take out there are the core architecture courses. I am working on a minor right now, and I know it is going to be tough to keep up with it once I get back fro the program.

Also, I wonder if the quality of learning is going to be comparable with the education Im receiving here?

I talked to many professors and they all recommended the program but I still am not very sure if this is going to be worth all the money and etc. If there is anyone who thought about going abroad and decided not to or anyone who did, please let me know what are the goods and the bads of these programs!
thanks!

Jeremy

Feb 14, 05 12:10 pm
lush

If you are serious about a carreer in architecture, NOTHING is more valuable than travelling to other countries...where ever in the world. You are very quick to assume the 'quality' of education you are receiving 'here' (I assume you're American?) is better than anywhere else! With an obvious lack of any other experience, you're basing your assumptions on what exactly??
I studied abroad for a semester while I was in undergraduate school, It was an absolutely uncomparable experience. Studying anywhere is not so much about the classroom and 'course material' as it is about seeing, experiencing and self-learning, this is especially true about a profession like architecture. If the 'high quality' education you are currently recieving has'nt taught you this...then you more than anyone else needs to get out there and see what an architectural education is all about.

Feb 14, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

agree with lush. try studying abroad. you will be amazed at how much more you will learn to "see".

Feb 14, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
kaf

That one year will probably be equal in worth to your other 3 or 4 combined

Feb 14, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

having the chance to encounter other cultures first hand will change the way you look at everything. Europe will make you yurn for quality reliable public transportation and city life...
man i miss living in europe

Feb 14, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
aparisianguy

ahhh... just couldn t pass by this post without dropping a couple of lines!
1- I studied mostly in Paris, and totally agree when I hear say that french architecture schools suck. Too bad if you want to come study around here...

2- Still, I also spent some time studying/working abroad : one year in south america (Caracas) 6 months in China (Shanghai) 3 weeks in your country (Detroit) 2 in denmark (Copenhagen). Overall ? ALL architecture schools suck. Maybe to the exception of Copenhaguen, but didn t stay long enough to be sure. I came to the conclusion that schools can only bring you rules and method. Not a bad thing, but not enough when it comes to building a creative mind.

3- Where can one learn stuff then ?
-by gathering experience, keeping both eyes and both ears open. Be curious, learn the rules, question what s questionnable, compare the differences... and work hard on these questions that inevitably come up, to build up what s yours.
This can be done anywhere of course, and is not necessarily related to school, nor tuition fees for that matter. You can start at your local library, but nowhere will you be more confronted to difference than abroad. And since 'experience' starts with personal experience...

Thus, it s no wonder to me, if many of the most renowned architects came from some of the smallest countries in the world: from their hometown to abroad, it s merely a 30mn drive. Still they couldn t get enough, and went exploring Hong Kong, Morocco, Shenzen, Lagos, India, Brasil, some even tried to organize an internationale of architects...

4- back to Paris now, since this seems to be your interest... well, our schools of architecture suck, but we re right at the center of europe, and we have an extensive network of railways and rather cheap airfares to anywhere... so many tourists and resident foreigners can t be wrong !

5- a tip: if studying comes out so expensive to you, why not take some time out from school to work your way around the world ? One other very good place to learn a profession is... the workplace...

Feb 14, 05 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
aparisianguy

eeerrrrppp... just to avoid any confusion... by "if studying comes out so expensive to you..." I was not meaning anything in the fashion of "hey, why are you not born with golden diapers, you bum..." right ? It's just that here, students pay something in the fashion of... 300/500 euros yearly, so...
... I guess that s why we have such poor education: while I was studying, 2 of my best professors went teaching to the states, where they would get paid... who was left then ?

Feb 14, 05 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

I feel like I made a terrible mistake by asking about the quality of learning overseas.

the reason I asked about the quality of learning is that because the program I am considering is not actually an exchange program but is taught by professors from the school I am attending. This school is running this program in a big scale and have assigned their staff over their to run this program, including 3 architecture professors, I think.
I think many other schools are doing the same thing, I was just wondering that it may be not as organized or you know, those kind of quality issues were just questionable for me.

Anyway, it seems like many of you people feel positive about studying abroad!

thanks for all your opinions!

P.S. I am not an American, sorry for both americans and others.

Feb 14, 05 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

Oh my god I am realizing that I just became a stupid whore.

please let me make clear that I DONT THINK FRENCH ARCHITECTURE SCHOOLS SUCK. Sorry if you did think so, aparisianguy.

I dont know anything about French schools, the study abroad program has nothing to do with any French school, and I dont think I am receiving the highest level education!

Lush your comment on that Peter Keating thread is just making me feel sick.

Feb 14, 05 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

aparisianguy,
do you really think that the student's tuition fees are used to pay the wages of our professors in europe? wow, your education seems really to have been pretty bad - from kindergarten to the present.

So far, the professors in my "native" school are highly respected PRACTICING architects who have very impressive portfolios and offices rooted in finland = they would never think of moving to the US to be paid less and work in an environment hostile to non-starchitect good design.

And sirgemhl,
you should consider going to a foreign school as an exchange, it really is worth it. I'm in the US at the moment, and my horizon is widening by the minute. Getting away from your language and old teachers is a big part of the experience.

Feb 14, 05 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

It would be a much better option if there was an exchange program offered but I think unfortunately the real EXCHANGE program here is only for grads.

I wouldnt even think twice of going abroad if it was an exchange program taught by local professors of the foreign school, the thing that keeps me worryied is that this program is essentially nothing more than 'The school of architecture of the university of Illinois at Versailles.' Even the lectures are all in English (which is still a good thing for me though) and they are all taught by professors assigned by the university here. For these reasons I thought the actual lectures and the classes are not going to be much better, if at all, from those taught here and that was the quality thing that I was talking about. Im just worried that it might be very crudely organized and etc.

Anyway, I guess many people strongly agree from experience that simply being out somewhere helps a lot in learning, which make me feel ina good way with this program overall.

thanks guys! I think Ill give it a shot!

Feb 14, 05 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
lowryourstds

don't even question it...just GO!!!! it is worth every penny, nothing here can prepare you quite like traveling and living abroad. you will have appreciations for things you never dared to phathom.

Feb 14, 05 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
kendogg

the long-term benefit of study-abroad is definitely worth it! it has little to do with the teaching at the schools and more to do with experience, which is truly priceless. i'm assuming you're relatively young so take the chance and have the time of your life.
i did my study abroad in paris at la villette with georgia tech. the school was definitely ghetto, but the daily encounter with the french students, and parisians gave me more 'education' than all the years in atlanta. as for finances, france can be a bit expensive but most of us just lived off of bread, wine and cheese without getting sick. there's also a way to cheat on your eurailpass but that's something we should discuss in private, hehe.

Feb 15, 05 2:35 am  · 
 · 
matteo

the architectural school of versailles is very quoted, there are very few exchange programs for that school, so if u have the chance just go don't think twice.
there's an high selection for the graduate school and the environment is very wide, people from all the world, and professors from all the world.
what it's bad it's that u will not have the chance to attend the "real" school, but just courses held in english by professors who are actually from your university, that sucks. but the experience will be overall positive.

Feb 15, 05 6:10 am  · 
 · 
matteo

american universities in europe are real ghettos, they don't integrate, they have their own buildings, their own professors. like in florence or rome, american students going there find the same courses of their university back home, they don't even have to learn italian....
instead, in europe, the exchange programs are held by the host university u choose, courses held in their mother tongue, classes with the local students, different approach to architecture... then u will really learn and broad your experience.

Feb 15, 05 6:15 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

Thanks matteo. You are telling me exactly what I wanted to know. I appreciate you information very much.
Although my calculations are telling me that with couple of scholarships and good financial aid, I think it will not be too much of an extra cost, and since people like you (who even think american universities in Europe suck, which is what I wanted to know if) still agree it will be an overall positive experience, I think I will strongly consider aattending the program!
thanks!

Oh, and sorry about my English.

Feb 15, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Nerja

Study abroad was the best experience for me and for so many others that I know that have done the program. The "Old World" 's architecture is so inspiring. Versailles! Absolutely! Just do it!
Good luck and enjoy!

Feb 16, 05 7:23 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Paris: Fantastic place, you must go there.

French schools of architecture: Generally fairly lame, stay away from them if what you're looking for is some quality teaching.

However higher education over there is free, as long as you qualify for it. So maybe you could try to register in a French school for a year, get a student visa, forget about your credits transfer and follow some of the project classes there and spend the rest of time fucking around, travelling, seeing stuff, making friends & connections, and generally have a good time... What you'll gain out of your year abroad will be an invaluable experience compared to what you'd get if you stay in the States (i assume that's where you're from). Good luck!

Feb 16, 05 8:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: