Archinect
anchor

Laws across USA

Richard,

What was the last movie you went to see?

Dec 9, 15 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

36 jobs posted in the last week...

Mediocrity is what people who live on modest average income is willing to pay. Architects wouldn't serve these clients.

Neither do Professional Building Designers, at $1 / SF.  After taxes and expenses, you'd need to do 40 houses at 2,000 SF ea to make a living. 

Dec 9, 15 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yawn...

Balkins, no one will read you wall of fluff.

Dec 9, 15 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Speaking of fluffy:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/smashbroslawlorigins/images/4/4b/34203_139824176031267_100000110577270_403258_7404517_n.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130724182045

Dec 9, 15 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

That's a lot of words that don't answer the simple questions asked.

Dec 9, 15 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Balkins latest work.... 'the great wall of bullshit' on the previous page...

Dec 9, 15 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Thank you for the long-winded admission that you have virtually no experience.

So you're taking on VA-funded renovations that top out at $6800 for construction, at less than 3% fees, and stringing them out over a matter of months, figuring out ways to use antiquated equipment to make an hour's worth of field measurements take weeks (are you done yet?)  - and using those < $200 "projects" to justify your fitness to provide academic, business, construction, and legal advice to architects?

Why architecture? Why not take a community college CPR course, change your business name to Richard Balkins, Professional Heart Fixer, read up on wikipedia, and go plague some cardiology forum?

Dec 9, 15 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

" I could probably be earning $100,000 to $150,000 a year (or more) if I took a job at any of the major software companies as a Project Director of some kind."

if...you...took...a...job

you would make money as a manager at mcdonald's than you do now.  you'd make more money bagging groceries than you do now.  you'd make more money selling pot from your basement than you do now.  you'd make more money recycling cans than you do now.  you'd make more money walking dogs than you do now.  

but you don't want to make money.  you don't want to do anything with your life.  at least if there was an apocalypse you could become a woodsman and maybe be useful.  but even then, you'd more likely run to a FEMA camp with wifi so you could keep jerking off into any web forum that was left about how you can save humanity with a secret potion you're working on, but only right after you do some house plans, build a quad copter, write some software, re-write architecture licensing laws, defend yourself from lawsuits from NCARB, AIBD, AIA, and whoever else you pissed off in the last twenty years.

Dec 9, 15 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

He can't get a job in a software company because he's left a similar trail in that industry's forums - except that over there his reasons for never getting anything done is he's too busy in his other business of designing buildings.

Dec 9, 15 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
The other red flag is he has no education in software or practical experience. In short he knows nothing about it other than what he can cut and paste from Wikipedia or whoever else he decides to plagiarize.
Dec 9, 15 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

"Hypothetical scenario, I apply and get a job working for an architecture firm in the next 3 months. 20-30 years later, I would be still doing the same thing because architecture firms will not provide progression avenues for anyone unless they have an NAAB accredited degree. This has been the story for most without an NAAB accredited architecture degree or BA/BS in Architecture degree. I would probably be that CAD Technician drone that would be that same role 30 years later and I have to listen to some bullshit stupid idea from some arrogant kid that I have been doing this for longer than they have been alive. You think I am going to put up with that kind of bullshit. F--- you."

Richard, as I write this, the woman sitting across from me in my office does not have a NAAB accredited degree. She doesn't even have a degree in architecture. She doesn't have a degree in interior design either. She does have a BA, so she's got you there. She is also a registered architect, which she earned about 10 years after the degree. She is a very accomplished architect and interior designer. She doesn't spend all day drafting. She does win awards for her work. She is a well-respected member of this firm and gets personally requested by the firm's partners to handle projects. She got here because she worked for it. This is not a hypothetical scenario. She's been doing this for around 25 years.

Dec 9, 15 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins can't see through his own fire wall of bullshit for the truth.
Dec 9, 15 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

He is the arrogant kid with the bullshit ideas - except where most of those grow out of the phase and progress in their careers, he's still going to be that arrogant kid in 30 years.

Dec 9, 15 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Reading this shit, I feel as awkward as as I do watching somebody on American Idol thinking they can sign and just embarrassing themselves on stage. I really do feel awkward! 

Actually I haven't seen American Idol since Kelly Clarkson but I'm assuming I would feel weird!

Dec 9, 15 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

I used to frequent another forum where the moderators had a thread where they would list the users that had been banned, for how long, and the reason why. Reading through, most of them where for typical reasons; not respecting the forum rules, spamming, posting content of PMs in the forums, etc. Occassionally, there would be a member that was banned because they requested it. Reasons would vary but usually it was along the lines of the following:

• forum_troll_69, banned for 1 month. Said they need to stay off the forums to finish a paper for school before the holidays.
  • ipostalot, banned for 6 months. Said they needed to take a break.
  • jdoe123, banned indefinitely. PM'd me and said he needed to focus on his family more.

I found it quite funny at first because it seems so out of place among the users getting banned for posting spam, etc. I found it hard to imagine someone not able to control themselves on an internet forum to the point they have to ask for intervention from a higher power with the ability to keep them from logging in. I don't see this as comical anymore, it is just sad. At least they realized they needed help and sought it out.

Richard, at times I've enjoyed seeing your interactions on the forum for the entertainment factor alone, but that time has quickly run out. Maybe it's time you sought out the Big Green Head for some help in taking a break. You've mentioned you need to take a sabbatical, or some time to focus on your business. I wish you all the best, and hope you can achieve your goals for your business some day, whether as an architect or simply a building designer. Good luck.

Dec 9, 15 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

Richard is the Archinect incarnation of William Hung.

Dec 9, 15 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

OMG.

Dec 9, 15 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

That he's been banned from internet forums whose intent is to help people get licensed should probably say it all...

Dec 9, 15 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Everyday_Intern,

I have an associates degree in microcomputer programming and networking since 2003.

I had been programming and software developing before there was degrees in video game software development. In those days, you learned it through self taught learning and just doing it. 

You start by learning the basics from various type-in programs and from books to get the commands to instruct the computer to do basic functions and through strings of instructions, you perform more complex functions. At some point, you start designing programs before you start actually programming. Video game design process is a creative design process. This includes developing the vision of what a game is, the game mechanics, back story, then graphics, music, and sound effects. A video game is an art form as well as a science involving mathematical and computational science. 

In those days, there were no such thing as a formal education in video game development or at least there practically wasn't any when I started in the field. There were general computer science. Although, could be useful in video game design, the curriculum would almost never use computer science in a video game application but something less exciting or interesting or creative. 

I started in the field when computers in homes were frankly.... new. 

In those days programming games were more bare metal or close to.

Your "API" was load value into CPU register and store value into a memory location where registers for various chips such as video chips were stored. Occassionally, you had other forms of system architecture to contend with. Among them were found in the Atari 400/800 which were one of the first "video processor".... the CTIA/GTIA.

When developing in those days, you had to understand things like memory map and low level hardware information. You didn't have an abstraction layer API that you see today. Today, you have a layer of abstraction such as Direct X and OpenGL which means as a software programmer, you do need to know exactly how the hardware registers of video and sound cards are mapped into memory, where they are or all the other nitty gritty inner workings of video cards especially from different brands. For example, I wouldn't have to worry about exactly all the inner differences between an nVidia Geforce GPU from that of ATI/AMD Radeon or even the different models.

In a multitask OS with different video cards and sound cards from different companies, using Direct X and OpenGL API allowed for interfacing to all these different devices without needing to know absolutely every little thing about each chip. Surely, people could push every ounce of capability if they programmed explicitly for these GPUs, Sound Chips, etc. but that would be too tedious when the goal is for people with various makes of Windows PCs. 

In 2000-2003, I was learning Java and Visual Basic. However, these days, its learning game engines like Unity and the appropriate scripting language like C#.

Bottom line: It's just another language but the same concepts and principles apply.

I have been in this field for a long time. I predated the academic adoption of video game design & development. I was practicing before there was such academic programs. Even then, it really doesn't matter. 

In video game development, school doesn't matter so much as your work. If anything, a portfolio of work is more important a degree.

Often you end up spending too much time learning skills in things that maybe obsolete and unmarketable in the particular branch of software field you are trying to get a job into.

I'm not particular interested in the 5'x5' cubicles for 12-16 hours a day. You got a 4-ft wide desk and office chair and a 1" divider wall between you and the next person. 

That's not what I am interested in. I am not an "employee" type. Pure.... plain... and simple as that. I don't take orders from other people. I do not respect authorities because authorities are just assholes that don't don't anything and they just abuse their position for their own personal gain. I only serve one person.... myself. Not you. Not Miles. Not kjdt. Not Donna. Not Alexander. Not Aluminate. Not no form. Not Non Sequitur. Not Bloopox. Not senjohbuttfartsky. Not Olaf. 

Get it. By not being your employee, I have no obligation to serve your interests. I'm not slaving away so as to make you a bunch of money.

Frankly, I'm right.... to be an architect, you have to accept slavery as a lifestyle and that is what you are. 

I don't want to be an architect because I don't want a lifestyle of slavery to other people. Therefore, I have freedom to control my own life and destiny and not be a pawn for some a--hole for the lowest pay. Therefore.... NO to architectural licensing. I don't want it. I don't want to be a slave. 

At least in software development, I can be the complete end to end of any software project. I am the alpha and the omega of any project I work on. I don't have to divide the role of 'architect', 'engineer', 'builder' and 'developer'. I can be all those roles. I have complete control of all ends of the process from conception to delivery. 

I can have most of the money earned.... as well. 

Dec 9, 15 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I don't understand it, but if you're happy I'm happy

Dec 9, 15 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

By the way, since you are in Oklahoma, which an unlicensed designer has quite a range of projects they can do up to a considerable size without needing a license. Add to that, Oklahoma has alternative paths to licensure even without a degree. 

I don't live in Oklahoma. 

In Oregon, architecture firms just don't hire people who don't have either an NAAB accredited architecture degree or a BA/BS in Architecture. They feel that because Oregon doesn't have an alternative path to architecture without requiring an NAAB accredited degree that they won't hire people who don't have a bachelor's degree in Architecture. 

Oregon architecture firms have told me that. 

So why waste my time with pursuing jobs as an employee of an architect if they won't even consider. 

If I were to look for jobs in architecture, I want them in CLATSOP COUNTY not 100 miles out. Engineers have replaced architects in Clatsop County. Therefore, why pursue architecture. I might as well work for an engineer and get an engineer license.

Dec 9, 15 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

Dec 9, 15 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

You're right Richard.  They're not going to hire someone for an Architect position who lacks an avenue for licensure.  

They would probably hire a designer. But then you'd have to admit to being what you are and what you will, apparently, never be. 

You're reminding me more and more of friends who think they should be dating supermodels but should probably be dating something more like Rosanne. 

Dec 10, 15 8:12 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

You have a degree in microcomputer programming? what was the last project you worked on? You also said you had vast experience in gaming but it turned out to be Atari. Slapping a bunch of titles and words onto your LinkedIn page doesn't make you credible, you need work to make you credible.

Dec 10, 15 8:30 am  · 
 · 
poop876

"Oregon architecture firms have told me that. "

They told you that because they knew you didn't meet those requirements so they don't waste their time. But in reality they just thought you are just a moron with baseless arguments that would not fit in any office setting. They saved themselves and other firms from your bull shit resumes coming in. 

Dec 10, 15 8:30 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Why can't you just show us something you've done? unless you've signed Non-Disclosure agreements why couldn't you just show us you could actually draw a plan or a screenshot of your computer screen?

Dec 10, 15 8:34 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

vast experience in gaming but it turned out to be Atari.

I've long joked that I should put Time Magazine Man of the Year (mirror cover) on my resume.  Along with "performer in Will Smith music video" since I happened to be at a basketball game where things were filmed.

Apparently I should take these ideas more seriously

Dec 10, 15 9:12 am  · 
 · 

Vast experience in gaming as a player, not a developer.

Dec 10, 15 9:23 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

when I was a kid I used to do bike stunts = stunt man.

My dog had puppies = canine breeder

I taught my dog to sit = exotic animal trainer (dogs, wolves same thing)

I made spaghetti = chef

I gave my friend an Advil = Doctor

I figured out the plot of Lost in seasin 2 = Detective 

I can do this all day...

Dec 10, 15 10:45 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I played paintball in 1998 = Navy Seal

Dec 10, 15 10:46 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Jla-x in rare form. Keep crushing it.
Dec 10, 15 10:48 am  · 
 · 
no_form
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/in-charge-of-the-big-door?utm_term=.rr51k9eGe

@rick Balkins.
Dec 10, 15 10:53 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I was a reporter for a news paper once. Hardest thing about that job was getting up 3AM to deliver all those papers!

Dec 10, 15 11:06 am  · 
 · 
no_form
I used to be a marine biologist. I collected so many sea shells on my trip to south beach.

The hardest job I had was transportation engineer. I shoveled so much snow from my driveway one winter.
Dec 10, 15 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

If you don't focus on some career - any career - and figure out how to catch up on the 17 earning years you've already lost, you'll be a slave to poverty and fear forever.  I used to have a neighbor with a middle-aged son who lived in her basement.  Whenever we'd ask about him she'd always say that he was "working on a new business idea".  After she passed away he'd sometimes come by asking if we had any yard work, so I put in a good word for him with a friend with a landscaping company, but the neighbor guy never made contact. When I asked him about it he said a job with set hours wouldn't allow him to focus on his business.  After a few years the house was sold for delinquent taxes.  Last time I saw him he was selling birdhouses at a street festival, fundraising for the shelter where he was living.  Is that going to be you in 15 years, living on a bunk bed and spending your days learning "job skills" helpfully assigned by social services staff?

Dec 10, 15 11:12 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^^no_form

MILF Commander,... Is that a hard job to get?  Where can I apply?

Dec 10, 15 11:25 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Richard you are a pathological liar and need help.

Dec 10, 15 11:36 am  · 
 · 

Sorry I didn't read your wall of text Richard. Was there something about being an architect in there or was it all about software?

"I don't live in Oklahoma.

That makes two of us. Archinect didn't allow you to create a profile without including a location. So my location is Nowhere, OK. That's OK as in O Kay. Not the postal abbreviation of Oklahoma. Sorry you took the time to look up the requirements for licensure in OK ... given your aversion to moving outside of Clatsop County, you won't be getting any benefit from the time you spent doing that. I would note that Washington allows licensure without a NAAB accredited degree, but even that is too far away from your comfort zone. 

Good luck on your sabbatical. Sounds like you've decided to focus on software again and leave the buildings to the architects and engineers.

Dec 10, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 

no_form, looking at that list I thought I would change careers to Beaver Expert.

Until I saw Head Receiver.

That's it, I'm outta here.

Dec 10, 15 11:49 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I found a dead bird in my driveway...its corpse was being consumed by maggots...I determined that it must have been there for 2-3 days before I noticed it...Better update my resume...

Fall of 2015, Forensic Entomologist

Dec 10, 15 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

miles as a beaver expert you can trap a lot of fur.  

i went hiking once and saw a monkey.  now i'm a wildlife ecologist and anthropologist.  

Dec 10, 15 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

I saw a movie last night. Now I'm a cinematographer. 

Dec 10, 15 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I toured a battleship once when I was a kid. Now I'm Admiral.
Dec 10, 15 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I designed a bridge in my Android game,I am now a unlicensed structural engineer but that's illegal so I'll call myself a structures drawer professional.

Dec 10, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
  • I successfully defended our Lord Sir Sean Connery's awesomeness in an unrelated web forum, I am now head of the Connery foundation and heir to his fortunes.
  • I once saw the queen from across the street, I am now part of the British Monarchy
Dec 10, 15 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

I took a dump today. Now I'm a proctologist.

Dec 10, 15 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Posted a yelp review, I'm waiting for the NYT to contact me for a food critic position.

But seriously - did anyone watch that South Park episode a few weeks back?

Dec 10, 15 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

boogers and cum!

Dec 10, 15 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Major props to dude who figured out end plot for Lost in S02!

Dec 10, 15 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

^ i still don't think I understand it.

Dec 10, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: