Archinect
anchor

Laws across USA

Flatfish

He's busy writing a commodore game

Dec 11, 15 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Where exactly, however, is the line between a mental health issue, and just plain-old rampant narcissism? I don't mean that pejoratively - no one on here claims to be a therapist or doctor.

This all started from an attitude that feeds on flouting any type of mentorship/licensing/experience norms. Even the most libertarian commenters on this site have called him out for it, and that's saying something.

Dec 11, 15 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

You make some points though. I hate removing things from my background because not saying something is lying. Basically your saying to me.....Some people prefer lies over truth even if seemingly implausible. Got it.

. ( Comment on your post statement is not worth it. )

Dec 11, 15 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

No_form wrote:

rick b - since you still continue to think you have something to offer this forum, let's hear any original thought about a building.  let's start with OMA's educatorium, it's been around for some time now and should be easy to research.  give us a critique that isn't about how rem koolhaas is just an elite academic who underpays his employees or any of that drivel.  give us a critique of the building.  you're a building designer and a member of the forum.  offer up some of your professional insight that is based upon your decades of study and experience.

I haven't particularly studied this building so until I study over this building deeply and what Rem Koolhaas and team's project goals, vision, etc. for the project as well as the context of place, the people and whether or not it functions effectively, the study & analysis of how it performs its stated goals or objectives architecturally, I don't think I can provide a fair and proper critique on it. Otherwise, I would be relying on my personal opinion and tastes which isn't necessarily good and proper architectural critique. 

A proper critique is harder than giving an opinion and often an opinion is given in the name of a critique. What do you really want?

Therefore, please be patient. I'm not looking for other people's comments on the project except general community response to the design since when it was designed and built. There is important consideration on that. Additionally, I would be looking at what is the cost of maintaining/upkeep on the building. Is it a drain on the client. 

In considering, there is a lot of information to piece together. 

Dec 11, 15 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

Translation of Balkins' comment: I really don't want you guys to catch me in the act this time, so give me a week or two while I look for some obscure website, or possibly scour the deep web to plagiarize from and make it look like I actually wrote it. Then I'll add this to my LinkedIn resume: "Analyzed and Wrote a Detailed Architectural Review for a Professional Architecture News Website at Readers' Request (2015)"

Dec 11, 15 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

rick - just proffer up whatever you think is germane to a discussion about the formal and spatial qualities.  not how the mechanical system works, not a quote from the mayor about how sexy the building is, and not info about building code in the netherlands, etc.  

Dec 11, 15 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

Otherwise, I would be relying on my personal opinion and tastes which isn't necessarily good and proper architectural critique. 

Richard, that's exactly what we're interested in. Not the regurgitation of what others have said, but your own independent, original thoughts.

Don't worry about them being "right" or "wrong", that's not the point. You learn and grow by sharing your own thoughts and ideas, not by parroting what others say.

Dec 11, 15 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

All we can do is flag the shit out of every comment, and hope he goes away

Dec 11, 15 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Educatorium;  I'll go first, you follow.

Boy, that staircase is seems stark and brutal.  Really dark too.

Hmm, how about that curtain wall on the "Rear Façade"? It looks good in sketches but I think that was a miss. I don't think it interfaces with ground or the building the way I would like.

Dec 11, 15 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

If he'd post some actual thoughts and opinions of his own I'd actually be interested to read them and converse with him about them. There's no reason to chase him away if he'd do that.    I want to chase him away when he tries to play expert and advise interns and students on things about which he knows nothing first hand. I also want to chase him away when he rips off others' writing. Also when he won't give straightforward answers to questions about his experience, providing thousands of words of excuses but no answers to things like "in how many years has your building design business grossed $5000 or more."

I'm not holding out hope he'll respond with an original critique though. Some of his posts show signs of having been run through a foreign language translator app and then back again to English - I've caught students doing that in order to avoid plagiarism detectors, it results in delightfully awkward phrases.

Dec 11, 15 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

^ Aside being another sign of the apocalypse, how desperate is that?

Dec 11, 15 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

That is a very creative way to avoid being creative. 

Dec 11, 15 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Removing things from your background is not lying.  It's judicious editing.  There's absolutely no expectation that you list everything you've ever done in a resume or bio.  In fact doing so tends to peg you as inexperienced, because more seasoned professionals edit out older content. 

There are some situations in which listing everything you've ever done is appropriate - for instance when an RFP specifically requires it, or when you apply for insurance.  In those situations you would be lying by omitting anything - although even then there's no expectation that you're including anything from your childhood.  My architectural project list is 6 pages single-spaced and goes back to 1986 (when I was 20, not 4!).  It's also customary in a curriculum vitae for teaching purposes to list your life's work in minute detail, usually starting with your college accomplishments.  But this level of detail is  totally inappropriate for a resume, linked-in page, or online blurb.  

I keep urging you to update your resume, and doing that would help you a great deal with editing your content for all these online bios too.  Edit your resume down to a well-targeted, uncluttered, easily readable single page.  Don't include anything from prior to adulthood unless it's extremely prestigious, a widely recognized distinction, and is easily verifiable - and even then consider whether more recent accomplishments will be of more interest to your target audience, hence a better use of space. 

Dec 11, 15 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

If Richard would use his time searching for tips on creating a resume or portfolio instead of worrying about licensing requirements in every state and so on, he could actually find some good information. Even the question about how much experience to include on a resume has been answered ad nauseam if one just searches for it. There is even a ton of useful information on archinect in the features and various blogs if he would just take the time to look at it.

Dec 11, 15 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Found this gem of a paragraph below in an article that seems applicable to Richard's case:

"Secondly, we all know that the world moves pretty fast. Any technology you utilized 20 years ago is likely obsolete today. So, there’s no use cluttering your resume with that insignificant knowledge. Today’s recruiters won’t be impressed with your Windows 95 expertise."

Dec 11, 15 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

I think he sees himself as an expert, and never ever as someone who should have a reason to seek advice or gain anything from anyone else's expertise.  He believes his wikipedia-level understanding of all topics is simply superior to anyone else's knowledge of or experience in anything.  Here's an example where he "educates" an attorney, based on his legal interpretations, informing her that "this can be misread easily even by the best of lawyers" (she has since deleted him):  https://web.archive.org/web/20120701200923/http://fullerpllc.com/2011/09/18/architect-or-designer-what-are-the-rules/

Dec 11, 15 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

^ Good grief. You'd think his family would have had him committed by now.

Dec 11, 15 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
"He's our little boy Mr. Jaffe. Richard is very smart and talented. Go pick on someone your own size." Sincerely, The Balkins.
Dec 11, 15 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

First off, 

She may be a lawyer but even lawyers aren't always correct. I consult the licensing board, the office of the state attorney general responses to the board when they inquire. All of this is vetted already and my source comes from A) The statutes, B) The licensing board itself, C) Their publications on the laws and rules, D) The state attorney general office interpretation reports, etc. 

An attorney can be wrong especially if it is a particular law area they don't work on every day and certainly it isn't the body of law that they learn a lot on during law school. I known people in law school and they don't really learn in depth these laws. 

It was more a nitpick of some partial inaccuracy. She did alright, though. As for her deleting it, it probably more that she simply acknowledged it and didn't want to keep it there adding more confusion but it was the only mechanism to communicate that. If she were to rewrite the article in the future, great. It was nothing personal whatsoever.

Dec 11, 15 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Her original post is completely correct, not partially inaccurate, and doesn't actually state anything different from your interpretation.  You're both interpreting the law in exactly the same way.  You were "nitpicking" something that didn't need correcting, because you weren't able to follow her (so much for superior reading comprehension.)

Read this paragraph in her original blog:  "As to non-residential projects, the architect licensing rules do not affect or prevent “any person from doing design work ….for construction, erection, enlargement, alteration, or repairs of or to a building of any occupancy up to a total building size of four thousand square feet; or…where the project size is not more than four thousand square feet in a building of greater than four thousand square feet and when the work contemplated by the design does not affect the life safety or structural systems of the building.  The combined square footage of simultaneous projects allowed…may not exceed four thousand square feet.”" 

See the "or" after the first bold phrase? That's the division between paragraphs (6) and (7).  She's not applying both to the same situation - they're mutually exclusive.  The part before "or" applies only to buildings of four thousand square feet or less.  The part after "or" refers to projects of 4000 square feet or less within existing buildings exceeding 4000 square feet.

See, this actually pertains to the original topic of this thread - and this is exactly why we don't like when you try to play expert:  you're not good at it.  

Dec 11, 15 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Here's Richard Balkins writing on ArchitectureWeek, about his clients:

"Clients are idiots. Simple as that. Their thinking is shallow and they don't have a clue. All they want is pretty and picturesque and cheap and yet want this and that bells and whistle yet they also want best energy efficiency without a clue. They are IDIOTS because they don't get the F---ing point that there is NO FREE lunch. This is scientific law.

...the bottom line: Clients wants all these pie in the sky ideas and think they can have everything they want but doesn't get it. Everything has a cost. They have no clue about how things cost and the way things work in regards to buildings.

In general clients are idiots in this regard because they are utterly IGNORANT to everything in regards to buildings. It is speaking broadly because most people NEVER grew up ever building any buildings themselves. Their concepts are all F***ed up."

I agree with the person who suggested you legally change your name and start your life over.  I can't imagine any potential client who does any due diligence in checking you out first would ever hire you.

Dec 11, 15 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Lawyer: the package weighs 1 pound.

Balkins: you're partially correct. It's actually 16 ounces. I received clarification from Clatsop county weights and measures.
Dec 11, 15 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Here's an example of the Commodore community's experiences with "Wildstar" Balkins.  Sounds like he's about as widely respected there as here?

"You're in my mailfilter and therefore you cannot get any product support. You are on full moderation on the mailinglists that are owned by "people with common sense".  Since you cannot get any product support, you *will* be dissatisfied with any product that you may buy from me or my resellers. Since you'll be wining about these products in public and other people find that wining using search engines, they might not be able to properly judge what you're writing. Long-term members of the Commodore scene know that it'll be typical Wildstar-babble, but since we're also addressing new customers, they will surely not know you as the clown you've demonstrated to be over the past decade, and actually take your opinion(s) seriously.  As a public service to the growing Commodore community, I ask you now and for all future to not buy any of my products, and not to babble about them. Just keep quiet and buy any other product. Thank you."

Dec 11, 15 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I learned very quickly that I don't know shit when I started working at a firm. I was like Balkins (actually not even close) and I tried to tell my principal how things should be done just like Dick always does on here. He took me out to the front of the office and pointed to the logo of the firm and calmly said "when your name is on there, when you have established yourself and proven yourself, then people will respect you more"

Dec 11, 15 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

I was talking about clients in general. If they knew what professionals knew, they wouldn't ever hire professionals because they would be the professionals and do it themselves. 

Architects don't hire other architects to design their home, their office, etc. They don't. People who knows how to design and build buildings designs & build their own homes or other buildings. 

The lawyer addage doesn't apply in all professions except for law or in case of medical field... under extreme conditions where they would not be able to do it.

Dec 11, 15 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Any thoughts on the educatorium Rick?
Dec 11, 15 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

JBeaumont,

Regarding the person you quoted: He's no saint and he blamed me for the failure of the C-One project which was more his own failure. All the people who gave up on buying the C-One was because he took too f---ing long getting the product out. By the time he released it, it was effectively a door stop. It didn't have a suitable C64 core that got them interested. It was less compatible than a lousy C64 emulator. Granted, over time, there had been improvements but it didn't make it there. It didn't make or fulfilled expectations as people were promised.

Dec 11, 15 9:54 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry no_form,

All the other nonsense & other stuff was distracting from that. If you like to tell the rest of the peanut gallery to shut up then that would be nice.

Today, I was in and out all day and among other things also 'visitation' for a friend who died a week ago. Not something I'd make up. Sorry, I'll have to have time to be able to refocus somewhat and look at that.

Dec 11, 15 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

Side tangent: 

What is that aluminum thing the arrow is pointing towards. I know what the other items are such as the two tribrachs with optical plummets, the retroreflective prism with yoke bracket, a spare yoke bracket, a target that is mounted on a pole along with the retroreflective glass prism, and cables. It is just the three aluminum things that I am not sure what it is. 

Good question for archiwutm8.

Dec 12, 15 12:34 am  · 
 · 

I learned very quickly that I don't know shit when I started working at a firm.

Ah, finally, an explanation for the name poop876.

Dec 12, 15 9:35 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Dick Balkins, take your fucking sabbatical or I'm seriously going to start a thread called Richard W.C. Balkins Building Designer and start posting all of the stupid shit you say and dont want associated with your name!

Dec 12, 15 11:45 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Balkins get some help man

Dec 12, 15 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

^ I haven't enter this thread because I thought it's about "Laws across USA" which is a topic I don't know anything about and I'm not interested in, but..! hell, I missed all the fun!! this is just hilarious.. 

Richard,

you don't really have to prove anything to any of these anonymous people.. you don't even have to be an architect if you don't like architecture! start defining yourself... maybe you're smart and maybe you have a lot of knowledge but it won't worth anything if you don't know who you are... what if you would have children now? think..How would that be like? what you'd teach them about life?...

dude, don't be shy to see a therapist... if many people on an internet forum all agree together that there's something wrong, then you have to think that maybe there's something wrong ... maybe it's the environment around you. maybe it's your parents pushing you over the limits, or your self-esteem, or a communication skills, or  shortage in emotional support! .....even myself, once I tried to visit the therapist in my campus, and after I told her my whole story.. she was like "^ I like you, you know what? you're on the right path.. you'll overcome this" and she asked for my help in her office when I could easily ask for a compensation! .......... have you (by the way) read the book I suggested you?

@5839

"having been run through a foreign language translator app and then back again to English - I've caught students doing that in order to avoid plagiarism detectors, it results in delightfully awkward phrases." 

don't be silly. today you have things like this :

http://paraphrasing-tool.com/

saw some of my colleagues using it, turned up it just replace words with their thesaurus.. I started laughing about the idea of how stupid those colleagues could be! 

Dec 12, 15 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Richard the aluminum things are friction-type stabilizing feet.  The slots are so that they can be used with a tripod that has a spreader at or near the ground.

You don't need time to focus on no_form's question.  He's not asking for research - he's asking for an off the cuff critique.  Just look at the building and give your own original thoughts.

Dec 12, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Zaina - are you trying to enhance Richard's cut ' n paste technique with more tools? That's like giving an alcoholic keys to the distillery.

Then again, judging by the sloppy translation of many of his posts he's already using it.

Dec 12, 15 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

Thanks. I was wondering about them. Can you elaborate a little more in what kind of settings for using this type of friction type stabilizing feet. 

I may have an idea but this is the first time I seen these types and it would be interesting to know from a few others. 

Dec 12, 15 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

There's not that much to elaborate on.  Surely you know that tripods often have, or can be accessorized with, flat wide feet to stabilize them on rough surfaces (uneven asphalt, gravel, concrete, etc) and/or in windy situations.  These days they're usually flat plates on articulated joints.  The ones in the picture are for old wooden tripods with spreaders - the feet work the way a Christmas tree stand does: you just stick the leg in and tighten the thumb screw to pinch and hold it in place - they worked with various thicknesses and angles of legs.  These days you wouldn't have a tripod with thick & clunky enough legs for those, unless you made it yourself.

Dec 12, 15 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

I got the wood tripods. Actually, there are some that exist still made and sold today. They tend to cost a premium. I could probably use it regardless of whether or not I am using the spreader.... just that it has the slots so I could use with such a tripod. 

I see what you are getting at. 

Dec 12, 15 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

I see an application that these would come in handy as well. Indoor use where you wouldn't want the pointed end of the tripod feet marring up wood. The flat bottom of these will have less likelihood of marring up wood provide you're being careful as it is. 

Dec 12, 15 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

Again, thanks for the info, kjdt. I would find that to be useful especially in my territory with the windy weather as well as potential uses indoors. well.... maybe. 

Dec 13, 15 12:33 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

Wood tripods that you can buy these days don't have thick enough legs for those feet to work with them. You can buy feet that will work with them - usually they're a screw-in type with an articulated hinge. But if I were you, for your applications, I'd use a tape measure and skip all this surveying equipment - especially indoors.  If these questions are because you're looking into buying more old survey equipment: don't. 

Dec 13, 15 12:40 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Slow down, my town is ordering more popcorn and it'll be a few days.

Dec 13, 15 2:05 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i need more corn.

Dec 13, 15 2:06 am  · 
 · 

kjdt,

I totally agree with you for indoor use unless the space was very large. My hand-laser would be used for indoor use adequately as well as tape. I doubt I have an indoor use that would need that but the tripod could be used for camera but that's another topic altogether.

I already have the equipment. I was just asking to know what it is that I happen to have so I use a photo that contained the stuff and just point an arrow to it so I can ask what something was. 

Indoors, I have tape and handheld laser. I use the handheld laser more unless I have a second pair of hands to measure indoor. 

I wouldn't likely use the theodolite & EDM equipment for indoors especially if the indoor space are the kind of spaces I would typically be working with in the exempt building domain. Exterior use, there is some applications where it can come in handy.

There are a few indoor situations where that equipment would be used like inside a stadium/dome where that can make sense and using a tape would to more a pain in the ass. That would be a rare exception and likely be 3d scanned, anyway.

When preparing a national register site plan with multiple buildings like a farm site would be an example of use where that equipment could be useful especially if there is not topography resolution in the 2-ft. or under interval. However, there is a legal concern about doing topographical surveying. 

Dec 13, 15 3:06 am  · 
 · 
no_form
EDM equipment. DJ Ricky b.
Dec 13, 15 3:18 am  · 
 · 

LOL !!!! 

Thanks No_form.

I think you know what I meant but okay. For those who somehow doesn't know, I meant EDM as in Electronic Distance Meter. That's the laser measuring component. In my equipment, it is a modular setup so the laser is independent of the theodolite so if something isn't working on one EDM, another EDM can be used so it isn't the ONLY system. If I pick up one of those nice sub-cm or sub-mm level GPS/Glonass receivers from Trimble, it can easily mount on a tripod. Mostly, right now, any future surveying class equipment would be newer equipment. such as high resolution GPS/glonass/etc. receivers or whatever else.

Dec 13, 15 4:04 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Nice attempt at diversion, Ricky.

Dec 13, 15 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Yeah really Ricky B. Just google image some pics and a plan and let your mind go off on that deleuzean gem.
Dec 13, 15 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Rick? Critique?
Dec 15, 15 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

no_form, trolls have been sighted in these parts, but they appear to be leaving. You should keep the food locked up tight. We wouldn't want them smelling food and coming back.

Dec 15, 15 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: