Archinect
anchor

Design Schools: Parsons and Pratt?

tobykirchener

lking,

yes, i did go to the open house, and i was quite impressed also.

the presentations were very thorough and helpful, however, i wished that david would have shown a little bit more of the student work, more than just the design build workshop, that seems to be quite a lot of prospective students interest were placed on that, which was great and all, however, it is only one semester of studio, and i had wished that he had shown more of the final student submission for other studio classes, we all got to see the progress of the student's work when we roamed around the studio, but thats only process, and for myself personally, i would like to see how they carried the process into their final crit, the SCAPES they gave out only had a page and a half of the M Arch student work.

the studio spaces were crowded, but adequate, and the shop is small, but i'm not too worry about those things, as i think that there are always ways to get around it and get things done other than working in the shop constantly...

but no doubt, there are good faculties in that school, and very approachable.....

the choice sure have became a little bit harder after the open house...

u decided where to go yet?

Apr 17, 05 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

In recent years Parsons has stated that they accept 70 to 100 M.Arch applicants in order to end up with an entering class of of 20 to 27. So a tough program to get into, but not impossibly so. It would seem it is still viewed as a safety school to many but that it is climbing in popularity. Ten years ago the entering classes had as few as 3 to 5 students and the acceptance rate was more than half. But I sat as guest critic there as recently as last year and had the impression there is still a lot of mixing of the BFA and M.Archs. It seems aside from separate studios many courses that are requisite for one program are electives for the other. I don't think there are two separate structures and technology tracks for the two degree programs for example so that those undergrads planning to apply for advanced standing in graduate programs must to take these classes with M.Archs. Same with urban and architecture theory and advanced history. I'm quite surprised by the "overly accessible" faculty comment. That's not my impression at all, in fact a comment of a recent faculty member to me was "I'll have office hours the day they give me an office." This doesn't mean faculty are not dedicated and helpful to students just that it isn't set up as a university with a resident faculty. Open houses are great for an overview of the facilities and to see the student work, but as with any school I suggest talking with current or recent students and faculty outside of an open house setting in order to get a broad range of opinions.

Apr 18, 05 10:05 am  · 
 · 

wisof-

Well although you are going to a school in London, Good Luck. I plan to attend Parsons. And with the acceptance rate, so what? Im the end folks...and I think ive said this before, when you have been in the field for 10,20 years end the end a degree is a degree. My teacher explained well that #1 you are paying for a name and #2 you gain connections.

I will have a BS in arch next month I dont mind that studios have non arch majors...because even though i have been doing this arch thing for four years, I have a lot to still learn.In a way the non archs probably gain a different perspective from biology or art history major which is beneficial to everyone.

I enjoyed the open house and while all school have their weaknesses, most problems that are attached to one are going to be at most. So in the end no matter how high the tuition or good name for that matter, are perfect. In the end is if the school "fits" you well then go.

not to be preachy, but everyone will go where they were meant to go.

just my 2 cents

Apr 18, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

good post gyrl . . . Parson's was definitely up towards the top of my list. I was very impressed with it, and the location was dense! Wish I could be there with you, but for me it was more about the city/environment. You have made a wonderful choice, and should be extremely excited to begin this program. Like I have said . . . the connection to Lewis.Tsurumaki.Lewis is undeniable and valuable. congratulations and good luck!

Apr 18, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: