Archinect
anchor

does anyone know what kind of heater this is?

go do it

Brassaï. Picasso in his Studio Rue des Grands Augustins. 1939.

Jul 25, 15 8:15 pm

Coal stove. The added mass increases radiant area.

Jul 25, 15 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It appears to be on the fritz... Pablo looks cool as a cucumber  ;o)

Jul 25, 15 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Love the way the shot was set up - Picasso dead center on the massive vertical shadow. One artist capturing another. Beautiful. 

Jul 25, 15 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

It is an Alsatian stove created in Alsace, France where wood stoves were first created around 1490, stoves created there were originally wood burning, a clue might be the one pictured here in Fouday Church (Alsace is a region, Fouday is a town), notice the wood in the background.

The top part is a heat exchanger, my guess this one is circa 1800.

Jul 25, 15 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

Multi-fuel design, has a grating on which the fuel rests as coal needs to be fed air from underneath. Wood doesn't and is often preferred as fuel because coal is filthy and makes a large volume of toxic ash. The pot-belly stove is a similar design. 

I've had a variety of stoves in the shop over the years and currently use a Lange box stove for heat from wood waste. 

Jul 26, 15 9:20 am  · 
 · 
go do it

does the mass above recirculate the gases to burn off pollutants or like miles said just for the mass. probably just for the mass i think. people weren't too worried about pollution back then.

cool looking though and i bet it could put out some btus

hehehehe he said put out

Jul 26, 15 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Go – the closest thing to that would be a Tulikivi fireplace (Finnish), that circulates the burning flue gasses to capture heat that is then radiated from the mass of the masonry, they also pollute less because they burn so hot (vaporizes the wood)….all way too hot for the subject stove…all this one is doing is providing air cavities around the flue for colder room air to pass over by convection, providing more heat, increasing efficiency.

Jul 26, 15 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Ah, yes convection

Cool thanks Mr. Carrera

Jul 27, 15 10:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: