Archinect
anchor

What major can an interior designer study for a graduate degree?

hys1989

Hello,

I have a degree (bachelor of science in interior design) + 2 years of experience in the field, and for now, I have been planning to complete my studies and begin applying for my master's degree. I have had a goal of studying M.Arch for my master's degree, but unfortunately most schools would require me to study for a period of 3 or 4 years to get that degree (which is too much). I'm looking for a degree that would benefit me and take a maximum two years of study to get done with. 

I'm seriously not planning to continue my studies in interior design. I have been thinking about majors such as engineering management or project management. If you have any other suggestions, want to share your own opinion or experience please do so. 

Thanks!

Jul 19, 15 2:31 am
kjdt

You've explained what you don't want: you don't want to continue studies in interior design.  You don't want a masters degree that takes longer than 2 years.

But what is it you do want to get out of your masters degree?  You said you want a degree that will benefit you - that would pretty much describe most grad students' motivations - but it doesn't narrow it down much.  What are you interested in?  What kind of career are you thinking about pursuing?

Other possibilities: design marketing; graphic design; urban planning; lighting design; fine arts....

Jul 19, 15 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Several large state university should be able to give you quite a selection. Virginia Tech has graduate degrees in Building Construction and Environmental Design Planning as well as architecture, landscape architecture, interior design, and industrial design. The University of Florida also has a masters in construction management, urban planning, as well as interior design, landscape architecture, and architecture. One advantage of a large school is that you can change your major if your interests change without changing schools.

Jul 19, 15 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
hys1989

Kjdt

Actually, I'm interested in pursuing a study that would allow me to use my interior design skills and develop on it, maybe in the management side too. What can an interior designer study to emphasize on and develop their career in the future. I have already mentioned that I don't want to study interior deign again. Thanks!

Volunteer

Thanks for your suggestions. however, I'm not willing to study anything that would take more than 2 years. Thanks anyways :)

Jul 20, 15 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The building construction master's at VT only takes 32 credit hours. It seems like a two-year course from their website.

Jul 20, 15 9:43 am  · 
 · 
mohans

I am a final year student of bachelor of interior design. I want to know that can i get my masters in urban planning after my graduation of 4 year interior design  graduation.

Aug 19, 22 9:27 am  · 
 · 
takewithsalt

Speaking as someone with experience in graduate admissions, you do not need to have a specific undergraduate degree or major to apply to Master of Urban Planning (or Master of City Planning depending on the institution). Something to keep in mind when looking for programs is that MUP programs are sometimes housed in policy schools and sometimes in design/architectural schools within larger universities. Given your design background, your application may be viewed more favorably by MUP programs in design schools and you may have more opportunities for interdisciplinary study across areas of planning, architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, etc.

Dec 8, 22 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: