Archinect
anchor

where to find building permit for a house 10 years old?

jlxarchitect

I am trying to get a building permit number for my 10 years old house in chicago. I contacted the city hall Department of Record, they only have building and concrete permit. I think I should still have other permit numbers like Electrical, mechanical, plumbing permit, right? whereelse i can find the permit number?

Jan 14, 05 12:24 pm
TED

in chi town, if the building permit included work of elect, mech etc., its all under that same number permit. you would only see seperat permit numbers for elec etc. if that work was exclusively done for the that trade [for example you may change your elect service without doing building work or replace a furnace without doing building work].

depending what generation of system the city was using that time [and probably over the last 20 years they have re-invented that system 20 times] you can obtain copies of the original permit application and sometimes microfilm copies of the original application drawings. it was [berfore the remodeling] in an office next to planning which under freedom of information act, you can get a copy of any permit for any building.

if you dont know by now, you can call the building department 10 times a day and get frankly 10 different answers. you have to go down and ask and ask and ask......last week i called and got 3 different answers to what the current building code is as it supposed to change effective 1 feb. you would think this is the simpleist answer to get. its blind leading the blind.

Jan 14, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Those black mid-aged woman in the office really make me sick. If you are happened to be approached by them whenever you have question, that is just bad luck.

Jan 14, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
TED

at the city, ignorance has no color, its just a pre-qualification.

Jan 14, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

I need to took back part of what I said. One lady in this Depa. of Records is very nice. When she talks, you know she is knowledgeable and a happy person.

Jan 14, 05 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: