Archinect
anchor

Recent buildings to see in LA

sarah123

I am compiling a list of RECENT buildings for people NEW to architecture to visit in LA. List might include Morphosis' Caltrans & Diamond Ranch High School; Gehry's Disney Hall, Moneo's Our Lady of the Angels, Meier's Getty Center, Daly-Genik's Art Center Wind Tunnel...Other's?

Jan 13, 05 9:52 pm
citizen

Just curious... why only "recent"? (Most of the best buildings, especially for people "new to architecture" are older.) And how recent do you mean? Ten years? Five years? Five minutes?

Anyway... how about the Olympic Boulevard house? (Pollari x Somol)

Jan 14, 05 1:42 am  · 
 · 
o+

science center school : morphosis

Jan 14, 05 3:57 am  · 
 · 

yeah, the Science Center school is quite a bit more recent (and much more in LA) than Diamond Ranch is...

also the Prada store was recently completed by Rem Koolhaas

Jan 14, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

Looking for recent buildings, because there are already quite a few excellent guide books on the Modern classics. Interested in buildings built in the last 5 years (approx.)

Jan 14, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

didn't dagmar richter recently complete a house arond inland venice beach area?

Jan 14, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

Neil Denari's LA Eyeworks on Beverly, east of Fairfax a few blocks.

The Grove next to the Farmers Market at Third and Fairfax (I don't think anyone will claim it is great architecture - great cinema, maybe - but its is an LA phenomenon worth visiting.) The Farmers Market is worth seeing as well, and all the buildings in between the two are by KoningEizenberg. Some other big commercial projects - like Hollywood&Highland, Sunset+Vine, the Arclight (also at Sunset+Vine), WeHo Gateway (the Target on Santa Monica Blvd), the Bridge near LAX - are also worth a visit, just to contextualize the high-architecture stuff.

The Standard Hotel, Downtown LA, by KoningEizenberg.

Camino Nuevo Academy on Wilshire just east of MacArthur Park by DalyGenik.

Int'l Elementary in Downtown Long Beach by Morphosis (near 7th St and Long Beach Blvd, I think)

Jan 14, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

morphosis' caltrans building (downtown)

Jan 14, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

alan, i think i did not get it...i dont understand whats the innnovative or interesting thing about the WeHo gateway project???
just seemed to me like a condensed mall

Jan 14, 05 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

repaired drainage pipes around my house is a significant undertaking.
for your tour, i would recommend drive around venice, and canals, you will spot many new or recently old designer houses from morphosis,frank gehry, coop himmel., and many other stars and unknown architects.it has (venice) became a little lab for residential designers dealing with stylistic urban single family houses.
if you are passing downtown at night, point out to DWP building, a beautiful oldie.

Jan 14, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: