Archinect
anchor

Do people still buy desktop computers?

maxwonder

Do people still buy desktop computers? There has be a few threads discussing laptop system configuration and I'm just wondering if anyone still buys desktop computer anymore? I'm sure most architecture firm still buy desktop simply because they are much more less expensive. But what about for personal use?

I'm in the process of deciding which type of computer to buy and I'm leaning towards a desktop for the simple fact that I can get alot more for my money. The difference in price is right around $800 to $1200 from a laptop to a desktop. Maybe I just need to get with the times and not be so outdated.

Jan 13, 05 5:17 pm
sameolddoctor

oh yes...many people (like me and some of my friends) for sure....go for desktops.

Just because we do very processor, video card and RAM intensive jobs...a desktop works out to be so much cheaper...but then again it depends on individual work-loads, working styles and lifestyles.
I have a PC desktop at work, one PC at home, but at the same time i have a powerbook for on-the-road stuff and for presentations. But yes, Ive never done hard core stuff on my laptop except for writing.
I also feel that working a lot on laptops is not good for the posture and body...so i just stay away from them....but then again........

Jan 13, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

desktops are the shit! laptops are for those that don't actually use their comp., they just want something for show!

Jan 13, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, without a doubt. working on a laptop is so much more difficult than a desktop. at one point when i moved from san fran to seattle, my firm wanted to keep me apart of the company to help them set up an office in seattle. they set me up in my house with a laptop and 21" monitor. this gave me the flexibility i needed because i was traveling quite a bit back to san fran while keeping their overall costs down.

Jan 13, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I am still waiting for the perfect laptop. It's still more practical to buy 2 PCs, then carry one around.

The list goes on and on:

heat
screen size
hard drive
dual processors
video cards
etc., etc.

Jan 14, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
o+

blue:

what are you using the computer for? are you a student?
do you travel a lot? if you're a student or travel a lot, a laptop is a great way togo (flexibility, size wise, etc.). If you have a work computer and just want a home system, desktop is definately better (price wise, value,etc.)
. everyone gets so hyped up about the most 'current' processing power, big video cards, etc... when in reality, unless you're doing
hardcore renderings or working on massive photoshop/imaging files,
a typical mid-range laptop/desktop is all you need, only render farms max out the processing power available to them. The technology gap between the low-mid range laptop and the high-end desktop equivilant is really not that much, and both of them will be obsolete in 8-12 months anyways.
what i've been doing for the past several years is buying new mid-range computers (laptop+desktop) and updating every 8-12 months depending on the deals offered. It pencils out to be cheaper to buy less expensive systems more often, then really expensive systems less often, and you stay more towards the front of the technology curve.

just a thought.

Jan 14, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

I have a laptop that is pretty good even if you take trace's list in consideration. I have a big monitor that I plug my laptop into when I am working in studio. The thing I like about it is that I can do work anywhere, sometimes the studio environmetn 24-7 wears you down, and I like the fact that I don't have to go to studio to do other class work (papers, etc). I also think I divide my time better. When I had a desktop, I definitely wasted a lot of time playing on the computer in studio, because it was my only computer outlet. When I got a laptop, I play when I want to and am pretty efficient in studio.

Maybe PC companies will start to take Apple's view and give you something in between like this. I eventually think that computers will turn into iPod-like devices that people can carry around and plug into monitors.

Jan 14, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
JG

That Mac Mini will end up being a space heater like the G4 cube. How can all those components possibly run in such a tight space?

I used to use laptops but I find they are too precious, I like a desktop that can stripped down and built up to your own needs.

Jan 14, 05 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

anyone bought a MAC mini yet, comments ?
the price is really tempting, just to have a MAC

Jan 14, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

I got a free ticket to the MacWorld expo and saw the Mac Mini. It didn't seem to get really hot, but I didn't hang around it for hours...

Aren't the components in the Powerbooks just as compressed, if not more compressed? I have a Powerbook and it doesn't get hotter than any other computer I have had. It has almost the same specs as the Mac Mini's too.

mauOne, I heard there is a waiting list for the Mac Mini, 2-3 weeks.

Jan 14, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: