Archinect
anchor

Paolo soleri and arcosanti

swisscardlite

Hey, i visited cosanti once, (Paolo Soleri's home in scottsdale, AZ) and I was wondering how much of a reputation does Paolo Soleri have? I live very close to him. He also has a huge community in the desert (arcosanti) in the middle of nowhere one hour away from me. Should I take the advantage of checking him out since I live so close to him, especially if im in high school and am considering to become an architect one day? and thank God, he likes kids.
thanks

Jan 12, 05 7:25 pm
stephanie

HE IS OLD.
i would check him out if i were you.

Jan 12, 05 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

the windchimes are really nice too

Jan 12, 05 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

if you live in the big AZ, than arcosanti is a must see. his initial constructions are interesting, as are the foundry where they make the bells. i didn't really feel that his apprentices were really serious architecture students however; the whole place seemed like a hangover from a phish concert. also, the latest things he's built there are rather ad hoc and not in accordance with the original plan, so even if he had the resources to construct his arcology it probably couldn't even be finished anyway. it is interesting though, esp. with regard to some of the concrete finishing, casting, and coloring techniques he had used on the original buildings.

Jan 12, 05 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i've never been to cosanti, how's that? compare to taliesin west.

Jan 12, 05 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

cosanti is smaller but interesting. taliesin west has a lot of fame and is more of a place designed so that ppl can take tours to look at the site. cosanti is more like a home and a place where ppl make bells. The major difference is in the philosophy that both hold and the comparisons of the two places are pretty much based from their differing views on architecture.

Jan 13, 05 1:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: