Archinect
anchor

What to see in Miami

arquitecta

Visiting Miami this weekend, any suggestions?

Jan 12, 05 10:10 am
ArchAngel

(Repeat Tourist Perspective)
Check Out The Open Air Antique Market at 15th + Lincoln.
News Cafe has good food / Great Location (Ocean Drive)
Get some groceries @Publix by Carlos Zapata
If you don't have hotel yet, Dorset is a great bargain, kitty corner from Delano (who cares)
Plaza Viscaya is Beautiful
Club Scene is good, check the flyers......
There is some Megalithic Concrete structure going up Just north of the stadium - awesome, but I don't know what it is?
Have Fun - Beach is a given

Jan 12, 05 10:26 am  · 
 · 
J3

this is from a previous post:
Miami/Miami Beach
No problems with the hurricane…I was there and it was very disappointing…light winds, a bit of rain and some small branches down. Getting to the point:
Miami Beach: As mentioned, check out the Delano (Starck) Albion (Zapata) and a few other hotels in the area. Zapata also has a pavilion on Washington/Lincoln which was meant to be used as a visitor center, but it currently houses dirt and homeless. Lincoln road is great to walk around and relax, although I haven’t been in years (issues with it’s mass-commercialization of recent years) Zapata also designed the vertical circ. Piece for “Publix Supermarkets” off Alton road and Dade Blvd. (walking dist from Lincoln Rd.) It wouldn’t be fair to not mention the “Setai Hotel/Tower” which I worked on 8 years ago. I think the tower is one of the best high rises on the beach. There’s plenty of “Urban” things to do in South Beach.
Downtown/Brickell Ave.: Arch: Santo Spirito Tower by KPF, Performing Arts building by Pelli, AA Arena by Arquitectonica, the Four Seasons Hotel/Tower by Gary Edward + Handell. The Rubell Familly (yes, related to Steve Rubell of Studio 54) collection @ 95 NW 29th St Miami, FL 33127-3927 Phone: (305) 573-6090 is worth visiting if you are into contemporary/strange Art. It’s only open seasonally so call ahead. The Design district is just up the road from there, and it’s been up/coming the past few years. Further south is coconut Grove where you can find “The Barnacle” historic house, built from old ship wrecks before Miami was on the map…http://www.floridastateparks.org/thebarnacle/
Coral Gables: the only other semi-urban part of town/although upscale. Everything in CG is very “Spanish” style, whatever that means. Check out the Biltmore Hotel (used in movies several times). While there don’t miss Versailles Restaurant on 8th Street: 3555 SW 8th St-Miami, FL 33135-4196-Phone: (305) 444-0240 a must is a “Cortadito con evaporada” which is Cuban Coffee and Evaporated milk.
You can always go out to the Everglades for an Airboat Ride or visit Everglades national park. Key West is 2.5 hours away, and even more laid back than South Beach (and without the pompous trash you find there). I will try to think of some more places to visit/see. When are you going to be down there?

Jan 12, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
J3

The megalithic concrete structure in Downtown is the Performing Arts Center by Pelli (60+ M over budget and 2 years delayed)
What are you looking to do? where are you staying? If you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Jan 12, 05 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Arquitecta,

Delano Hotel and Sagamore Hotel are on Collins Av. just a walk away from everything, and most importantly they are right infront of thr beach. Either one of these hotels will make your stay excellent. Also as mentioned by ArchAngel, Lincoln Av has great food of all types w/ lost of beautiful people. Also ofcorse Ocean Av. where all the Art Deco hotels and restaurants are. One observation that I can tell you about is that the further away from the beach, the cheaper things are. Also, and this probably occured by mear urban natural selection, the way that miami beach is developed is the following (this will make more sense once you are there): from East to West, beach, hotels w/restaurants, restaurants, retail, resturants and bars, nightclubs, medium density housing, and then you have the quintessential high rise miami condos, which are on the far west and north part of the pensinsula. North Miami beach is beautiful, but there is not much of a nightlife or human interaction. The bars on ocean av. are basically happenning 24hrs a day. Hope you have fun.....De donde eres?

Jan 12, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 
J3
Hotel

The Greenview Hotel above is fairly innexpensive and close to everything.

Jan 12, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
arquitecta

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE QUICK REPSONSE!

Jan 12, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 
andrew04

I second J3's suggestion for Versailles Restaraunt, hit their bakery too while you're there

Jan 12, 05 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Oh...if you have the time, and like Vietnamese cuisine you have to try this restaurant:

HY-VONG VIETNAMESE CUISINE
(305) 446-3674
3458 SW 8TH ST
MIAMI, FL 33135

This joint has about 10 tables in it, and 2 seatings - 6p and 8p I'd arrive 30-40 min early for seating. One of Miami's best restaurants. Although right down the street from Versailles (pronounced: versayes)with it's tempting "Pastelitos" and "Cafe". I would recomend staying @ HY-VONG to have their Viet. Coffee and Killer deserts.

Good PIZZA anytime:

CASOLA'S PIZZA (305) 858-0090
2437 SW 17TH AV
MIAMI, FL 33145

Jan 12, 05 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
arquitecta

In response to your question J3, I will be staying in Biscayne Bay by the Financial District. I visited Miami a few years ago but only got to see South Beach... Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive, the Delano, etc. (Which I really enjoyed, by the way!). I will be spending the weekend and was wondering if there was something I should absolutely not miss, architecturewise, foodwise, and else.

Jan 12, 05 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
arquitecta

And thank you guys for the suggestions. ; )

Jan 12, 05 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Ok, financial district + Biscayne Bay...that's pretty much Brickell.
That whole area is changing drastically right now and in the future years. Developers have finally decided to build High density Residential (of the mid-high end type) among the empty wasteland called downtown/Brickell. Sure you always had Brickell Key and South Brickell Ave. but the current changes will bring a new life to this area. Biggest indicator (good sign here in DC) is the commitment by Whole Foods Mkt. to build in a new development across the Bridge.
Arquitectonicas office is there (if that matters), + you can see many building mentioned above: 4 Seasons (Gary Handel), KPF's Santo Spirito, ARQ's Atlantis (Miami Vice Bldg.), + a few other token phalus' by notable architects. Bayside Mkt. is OK, although touristy.
I would certainly visit Vizcaya, and while your at it cross over to Key Biscayne and check out some of the houses in there.

Jan 13, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: