Archinect
anchor

Architecture Career without M.Arch

bilal

Hi, I've got a Bachelor of Environmental Design Studies in Architecture and thinking of taking a research MSc degree in Construction Project Management or in Environmental design which are non professional.

With these degrees, could I still have a normal career in architecture. Could i work for a few years with reasonable pay or would it be a loss if I dont have a professional MArch degree.

Are there any benefits of having a non professionl MSc degree even if i do decide to carry on with the MArch after a few years of work?

Thanks for your help.

Jan 10, 05 5:49 am
A

I'm assuming your environmental design degree was the undergrad portion of a March program? With that degree you could get a job in an architecture firm. Without being a student on a path towards a professional degree expect not to be offered as many oppotunities. Be forward about your intentions and I think employers will be willing to work with you and your desires. I'm sure you can have a normal career as any intern would have.

Additional degrees always have their value as well - they just might not have a value where you currently work. Remember that any hours worked in architecture before you go back for that March will not count towards IDP credit. If becoming a licensed architect is your ultimate goal it will take you longer.

Jan 10, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Call your state's licensing board and ask them; they will know.

Aside from that, there is always value in bringing another skillset to the table.

Jan 10, 05 11:16 am  · 
 · 
hutch

"Remember that any hours worked in architecture before you go back for that March will not count towards IDP credit..."

I don't believe that this statement is necessarily true. I think you can begin logging IDP hours after your 3rd year of an accredited pre-professional program in architecture...

If anyone has the time, this can probably be easily verified at www.ncarb.org

Jan 11, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

CAD BITCH!

Jan 11, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
archetecton

hutch, in an accredited pre-pro degree, you can start after your second semester of core curriculum studios (usually third year) that leaves the summer between second and third year open for credit hours.

Jan 11, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
archetecton

so, you're correct :) forgot that bit.

Jan 11, 05 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: