Archinect
anchor

MVRDV in Chicago

VanWinkle

I heard that nathalie de vries of mvrdv is teaching a studio in chicago starting in january at the Illinois Instittue of Technology. Can anyone confirm this? Is IIT that good of a school to get her to teach there?

Jan 8, 05 12:30 pm
blah

I think the way you've posed your question is more interesting than the question itself...

Is this architect really a good teacher? Do "star" architects make for good teachers? How many times in a semester do they show up? (Holland is a long ways from Chicago.) Does having a star architect teach at a school really mean anything? Other than a publicity stunt? Does is mean that "IIT" is a good school?

Just a few things to think about...

Jan 8, 05 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
VanWinkle

I never intended to give the impression that she is a good architcet. I just think that a school would have to be pretty good to atract an architect with numerous projects under construction. and, even if this is a publicity stunt, do you think it will work? I mean, that school is full of "stunts" with the latest buildings on the campus.....

Jan 8, 05 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
TED

she was there in the late fall for the dutch housing symposium and iit does this quite often to invite someone to teach a studio there after being involve in some syposium. i cant say if she was offered something but it would make sense that did happen.

i would generally say +80% or so of grad at iit are foriegn born [asia and german still big]. iit tries to make it grad program have dynamic links to europe and asia continuously. the rigid structure of the undergrad program would not be compatible with a superstar sprint in and out

what is a bit funny is that they cant really get around the visa problems of these short [paid] teaching sprints so many of the visitors get a shopping spree gold card at prarie avenue book store......[at least 2 that i know]

Jan 8, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
VanWinkle

That shopping spree sounds nice! What other superstars have they had there before??

Jan 8, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Andrea Compagno guro of intellegent glass facades[mr. double skins] did a 6 week studio program last year, werner sobek, guy battle, macfarlane. i know ron krueck did a studio 2 years ago with some hot shot european but dont remember who. about 4 years ago they had an excellent symposium [that went unnanounce] that brought all these great engineer/sustainble guys for a 3 day thing. they still are using these guys. there were papers submitted and all, but no book ever came out of it. architecture = engineering is still very much part of the continuing mies conversation there so best of the international engineering community make iit a regular stopping ground. the school last year became the home of the internatioal committee on highrise buildings which further brings connections of the international engineering community to the school.

choosing koolhaas for the campus center was much more about the greater impact of having him to the building than really anything to do with the specific competition entry.

Jan 8, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
nicomachean

anyone seen the MVRDV 2-story office for Thonik graphic designers in Amsterdam? bright orange provocative polyurethane.

Metropolis article at:
link

I would love to see some more contextual photos.

Jan 8, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
TED

looks like its true!!

"31 January, Monday
Nathalie de Vries
The Morgenstern VIsiting Chair in Architecture Lecture
”total environments ”

Principal, MVRDV, Rotterdam
Morgenstern Visiting Chair in Architecture,
Illinois Institute of Technology

6:00 pm , S. R. Crown Hall"

Jan 14, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

where did you find that TED?

Jan 14, 05 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Artful Dodger

do you know if its open to the public TED?

Jan 14, 05 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

I see IIT finally gets there lecture info up.

Jan 14, 05 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
TED

uic is going to have stan allen, barcelonas architects[ribas], marion weiss, a principal from kpf and a few others. allen is 3/14 but dont hold your breath for it showing up on the web site. the schools gives new meaning to high speed technology.......

Jan 14, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

I know UIC is very disappointing sometimes.

Jan 14, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
TED

artful, yes. all the school lectures are open to the public. the taylor lecture is at MCA and they charge $3 handling to reserve the ticket. dont know how different the monday and tues lectures will be.

Jan 14, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

I'll never go to another MCA event because of that $3 processing fee what a bunch of cheap bastards - give me a break!

Jan 14, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i called and they said that as the event is over a week away and its too close to mail the tickets to they charge $3 for will call.[maybe they are mailing them pre-sorted 2nd class mail or magazine rate or have no trust at all in the post office]

at least mail the fucking tickets for $3 so one can avoid standing in line!

Jan 14, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

What is MCA, dude?

Jan 15, 05 11:36 am  · 
 · 
VanWinkle

The MCA is the museum of Contemporary Art. You are from chicago and don't know that? It's right b ehind the water tower, one block east of michigan ave. chestnut & mies van der rhoe way.

Jan 15, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Sure, I know it. I didn't check the whole comments in this thread, I thought it refers to other museum in other cities like LA. Sorry.

Jan 15, 05 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: