Archinect
anchor

Submissions to Archinect's Lexicon

Over a year ago, I started this thread: Architecture Encyclopedia?, soliciting the "words/terms that architects have made up when discussing their work".

The submitted terms (both real and fabricated, neither status an indication of their actual use) became fodder for Archinect's Lexicon, a tongue-in-cheek effort to document aspects of colloquial archi-speak. I'm incredibly pleased with the response to the series, and have no intention of stopping.

But I realize now that the initial forum thread was a bit misleading – the series isn't supposed to be an encyclopedic authority on architectural language. Instead, I wanted to take (somewhat) seriously the words invented/borrowed by the architecture community to service the communication of architectural ideas, to do just that – service the communication of architectural ideas.

So, I'm opening back up the call with that context. Propose your terms for Archinect's Lexicon here. If possible, please include the term's origin/inspiration, and a definition.

Apr 3, 15 3:27 pm

Spatial Praxis: Commonly referred to as Schumacher's Syndrome or Libeskind's Disorder is an irrational fear of rectilinear orthogonal space.

Apr 3, 15 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

^ha

Apr 3, 15 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Where dogs go to die: a space of no use or purpose with impractical access; a corner in plan with an acute angle of less than 45 degrees

Apr 3, 15 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

A buddy heard this phrase first in a jury crit and he and his classmates used it throughout school. When I first heard it, it thrilled me to have such a description of such a space and I have used it where applicable ever since. I have even mentioned it a few times in jury crits or desk crits.

Apr 3, 15 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: