Archinect
anchor

uc berekeley one year m.arch program...

strlt_typ

in about a year i plan on going to grad school and i'm looking into possible schools i could apply to...

princeton-my biggest concern is the cost of tuition and the unaccredited 3 semesester m.arch program
gsd- cost as well
columbia-not into their kind of stuff
uc berkeley-pros and cons? how is the program?
thanks

Jan 2, 05 12:03 pm
strlt_typ

oh and some lyrics...

Hysteria

It's bugging me, grating me
And twisting me around
Yeah I'm endlessly caving in
And turning inside out

'Cause I want it now
I want it now
Give me your heart and your soul
And I'm breaking out
I'm breaking out
Last chance to lose control

It's holding me, morphing me
And forcing me to strive
To be endlessly cold within
And dreaming I'm alive

'Cause I want it now
I want it now
Give me your heart and your soul
And I'm breaking down
I'm breaking out
Last chance to lose control

And I want you now
I want you now
I'll feel my heart implode
And I'm breaking out
Escaping now
Feeling my faith erode

Jan 2, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

dammson what u mean ur not into columbia? what is "their stuff" ????

Jan 2, 05 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

^hahha...whatever they are doing there...i;ve looked into their student projects and columbia's m.arch program is not the program for me...i apologize for the vagueness because as of know i'm still trying to decide which route into architecture i want to pursue...

Jan 2, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

oh hahah.. nah i was just curious..

Jan 2, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

do you have any information about university of michigan?

Jan 2, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
ieugenei

it... is... in... AnnArbor...... o_o...

Jan 2, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

i went to berkeley undergrad but knew some people in the 1 year m.arch program. for one, most students in that grad program complain that the program is too short. 2 years seem to be the prefered length of time to get acquainted with a school and figure out what one wants to do with arch. with a one year program, the first semester you will be in thesis prep, and will do your actual thesis your second and final semester.

secondly, the grad problem isn't vastly different from the undergrad program. the same profs teach studios, but grad students have more theory/history seminars. imo, berkeley is much like yale in that both schools don't have a set pedagogy. there are resources (albeit a bit out-dated) that allow students to pursue their own architectural interests. in the past couple years, several new faculty have been hired, and the new blood is definitely giving the school a boost. also, the department moved back into the architecture building after a 2 year absence. with all the changes going on, berkeley is an exciting place even though there is a lack of clear direction. also, being a public school, the cost is considerably less than the ivies'.

Jan 3, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

^hell yeah...thanks for all that taboho...i appreciate it!

Jan 3, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

dammson - you need not worry about the unaccredited m.arch 2 degree at princeton. technically, to qualify for the 3-semester m.arch 2 program you must have an accredited undergraduate b.arch degree. if your degree is a non professional undergraduate degree (BA or BS) then you would only qualify for either the 3 or 2 year m.arch 1 program, both which are accredited.

Jan 4, 05 12:36 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i will soon have a b.arch degree...what program are you in?...as far as financial aid, are you getting a free ride from the fellowship?

Jan 4, 05 7:16 am  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

i have a b.arch from sci-arc and am in the 3 semester m.arch 2 program at princeton. everyone here at princeton has a different financial aid package, so i should not discuss my financial aid award publicly...

Jan 4, 05 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: