Archinect
anchor

VOC

x-jla

anyone hear about the recent backlash against Lumber Liquidators selling cheap chinese flooring that has formaldehyde levels 100X above "acceptable" levels?   This conversation happens all the time in nutrition (processed foods vs non-processed) we need to talk about processed materials vs non-processed.  offgassing from mdf and other cheap processed materials are bad for health and environment.  Im interested in organic building using renewable non-processed materials like rammed earth, adobe, brick, small diameter timbers...any interesting projects you all know of that avoid processed materials? 

Mar 7, 15 10:55 am
Carrera

I think we took a fork-in-the-road in 1967 in “The Graduate” when Mr. McGuire put his arm around Benjamin’s shoulders and said……

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Plastics

Been involved with horrific problems involving off-gassing of carpets and they come from Georgia….. never thought “organic” but did think “real”….thought of architecture as truth-telling where nothing is “fake”, which solved the problem.

Mar 7, 15 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

You might look at AAC (autoclaved aerated concrete).

Mar 7, 15 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

used to spend summers working at a cement plant - some real bad stuff there

Mar 8, 15 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Shu - Drove by a cement plant in upper Michigan, nastiest looking thing I've ever seen.... realize that cement is basically a combination of natural materials, but the combo, at least in powder form, is as nasty as the place it comes from.

Mar 8, 15 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

Is it as toxic as Archinect has become?

Mar 8, 15 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

+++ 'Nerd

Mar 8, 15 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: