Archinect
anchor

domicile

stephanie

what kind of places do you all live in?

right now i share an old house with 4 annoying house mates.

i am apartment hunting today.

Dec 28, 04 1:28 pm
sahar

I live in a two bedroom apartment (c. 1970), with a peculiar person (but a good roommate) that is in the same design program as me. It is cheap and huge (compared to other apartmensts in the city), and in the Chinese part of town which has an endless amounts of perks. Markets, restaurants, bubble tea, etc.

Dec 28, 04 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

three bedroom apartment with three other roomates...
one room is taken up witha couple..

Dec 28, 04 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

stephanie,

I lived with 4 people one year, and I found it extremely annoying even though no single housemate was especially bad. It is hard with that many people because responsibility for certain things (cleaning, etc) never get taken on, but instead you get the excuse "oh, roomate X was supposed to do that..."

I say, RUN AWAY. I can't handle living with that many people who A) aren't related to me b) none of them are friends, but merely acquaintances or housemates

Dec 28, 04 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Now - two bedroom, two bath, three story white brick townhouse built in the 40s with my husband and two kitties. detached two car garage, wood floors, dining room, fireplace, walk in closets, very nice. has good proportion and unique windows. kitchen kinda sucks - very small.

To relate - i lived with three strangers in a tiny four bedroom apartment once in college. it actually worked out so much better than living with friends. everyone cleaned up after themselves cause we had a cleaning schedule and rules. one person (the only male) didn't pull his weight very often so the rest of us would simply confront him and then it was no problem whatsoever. was the best living situation i had with roomates. basically we respected each other because we were strangers.

Dec 28, 04 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
infernocp

One bedroom, 600 square ft. apartment in Lubbock, Texas with one roommate who is EE and premed. Its cramped, dirty, and stinks like ass, but neither one of us is ever there, so it doesn't really matter

Dec 28, 04 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
drgonzo

three bedroom, two bath, dining, kitchen, living, covered porch on the bottom floor of a house built in the 30's that was split into a duplex at some point. 'bout 12-1300sf, I think. got it for a steal with a roommate because the landlady doesn't really need the money. it's a real bitch to heat, though. just found out I'm right down the street from one of the award-winning houses in Architecture this year.

Dec 28, 04 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

1000 SF 2 bedroom corner apartment with art galleries on the first floor. no roomate. a few blocks walk to french quarter. green markets on sat.
they are turning all the apartments around my area into condos...so apartments are really scarce.
it's a brick building dating to around the 1900's. nice ceiling heights. two wood columns in my unit and heavy timber and tounge and groove ceiling. 6 large factory/warehouse type windows.

rent costs about half my salary!

Dec 28, 04 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

own a 2 bed 1 bath, small much needed remodel kitchen, full height (dry) basement for studio, detached 1 car which is the wood shop and toy storage, fenced back yard 1925 bungalow with wife and black lab puppy.

Dec 28, 04 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

also own a 2 bed 1 bath, a camelback shotgun (shotgun with a two-story 'T' at the back for you non-southerners) of about 1700sf, built in the 1890's. bought in 2000 from the estate of a lady who lived here with her sister for 70+ years and practically never changed a thing. we have completely renovated since then, just finished last month, though since so little had been changed, we felt strangely respectful toward the place - no architectural projects, really.

so it still has the built-in ice box that opens to the stair hall at the front and the butler's pantry to the back, still has the old cast iron 'thermostat' which would open a window in the basement to push air through the house, still has operable transoms over all of the 7'-6" doors, still has the picture rails, still has the faux painting/graining on every stick of trim in the house.

but the wall paper is gone and the walls are wonderful bright colors...

recently had the house appraised at 175% of what we paid.

Dec 28, 04 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I'm living in a backhouse built for servant quarters back in the '50s by my land lady's late husband, who was an architect. It’s about 100yards or so from the architecture building on campus. It's been a pretty sweet pad, but I’m ready to have my living room separate from my bedroom.

Dec 28, 04 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
tect75

2brd 4 rm ranch, currently building my addition. need stairs to the basement that don't require trudging outside to open bilco doors. (old lake vacation home) hope to someday be a 3 bedroom plus office (4brds require septic upgrade)

Dec 29, 04 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

I'm living in the same house since October 1958, a rowhome built in 1938, apparently a design featured in PARENTS magazine back then as the ideal new home for young American families. It's still almost entirely original, even the kitchen and bathroom, with some mid-1980s additions/alterations to the three bedrooms.
http://www.quondam.com/15/1492.htm
http://www.quondam.com/15/1495.htm

Dec 29, 04 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
J3

560 sf studio. 60's Brick bldg. (500+ units per building)x 4 buildings in complex. Overlooking Marine Corps memorial/Arlington Cemetery. 2 blocks from metro...4 stops to DCA

Dec 29, 04 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

500 sf one bedroom house built in 1923 + detached 300 sf office/storage we built last spring (tore down garage). gutted house when we bought it but couldn't really remove too many walls as it was built in 3 phases (yep...). bedroom ceiling height is 7'-4". Back of house has a hollow concrete block foundation turned on sides. No garage, but big empty front yard of dead weeds to park on. The whole house shakes when a bus drives by and we're 100 ft back from the street, so I can only imagine what will happen if there is a big earthquake. we have earthquake insurance :-)

Dec 30, 04 12:31 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

w/ Husband, dog, cat, bunny rabbit & 2 Koi

Dec 30, 04 12:32 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

is it geeky that i just took an apartment in a building that was designed a century ago by the firm that i now work for?

Jan 6, 05 2:34 am  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

i live with my parents.

Jan 6, 05 2:49 am  · 
 · 
optimk

Me an my wife own a 2000 sq foot duplex in MPLS. We rent out the top half to help pay the mortgage while I go to school for arch.

Jan 6, 05 3:05 am  · 
 · 
jbirl

15' wide rowhouse, built around 1850. 2 bedrooms, one bath, with my wife, twin boys, and bulldog...

Jan 6, 05 8:57 am  · 
 · 
e

i own a 1925 craftsman in seattle. it is 3 blocks from lake union and gasworks park. it has about 1100sf finished and about the same sf of an unfinished basement. the lot is 30x100 with a nice, nice garden in the backyard. i am in the process of removing the asbestos siding from the house. the old siding is below and in fairly good shape. with a little patch and repairing, scraping, and painting, it will look great. below is shot of after the asbestos siding has been removed and before the back has been removed. the back will happen this summer. i had to rebuild the corner of the porch because the existing post was a rotting 2x4 with a 2x6 kicked in under the 2x4.

before
after

Jan 6, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

e- any tips on real estate websites and/or interesting neighborhoods to buy a house in in Seattle? We're starting to seriously consider moving up there if our business doesn't pan out... thanks!

Jan 7, 05 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
ha

w/parents right now, but soon to share an apartment with 4 strangers in Sydney....should be interesting.

Jan 7, 05 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
phaedus

i live with my parenrs in a flat oon the second etage of a 11story block. The flat has tworooms a kitchen and a bath, appr 45 square meters. Through my window i see a majout boulevard of the city and a nearby 2000 meters high mountain. It is almost OK.

Jan 8, 05 5:46 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

2 bedroom ranch house, with a wrap around terrace overlooking the sea...living on a god-fore-saken island has its perks...I pay about U$500 a month for it.

Jan 10, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Ps I live alone...single life is brutual so despite having a very cool batchelor pad I rarely stay in it, instead going out to eat, drink or party...I know pointless

Jan 10, 05 10:58 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Oh details of property 1750 sf, split level (garage below - parking for one), 2 bathrooms too - properlly sized with a tub in one. Furnished too granted the stuff inside circa when the house was built in the 60z are falling apart - given a chance to design more furniture. House was renovated extensively after a hurricane hit in the early 90s much more suitable with nod to passive cooling.

Jan 10, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
e

rudolph, we used an agent at windermere, the bohemoth of agencies in seattle. i was extremely happy with her. if you'd like her name, email me.

what kind of characteristics are you interested in your neighborhood?

Jan 10, 05 11:53 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Thanks e - probably not looking for at least a year, but thought I'd ask you now since you never know... Things we would be interested in for a neighborhood would be diversity, mix of housing types (esp. old & new), lots w/yards, ability to walk places for food etc., though doesn't need to be anything special, proximity to a park or walking path type thing (know this is more common in seattle than LA, hence our interest!), affordability (I'm still in the dark about how much stuff costs up there, guess I should look). Added bonuses would be good public transport, elementary schools & proximity to some kind of "downtown" (could be the neighborhood main street).

Jan 10, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
e

rudolph, a lot of the things you are interested in can be found in most neighborhoods that are central/close to downtown. seattle is heavily populated with single fam detacted homes with parks and walking/biking paths close by. most neighborhoods have a central street filled with restaurants, shops, pubs, grocery stores, etc. i live in wallingford across lake union from downtown. it takes me 7-8 minutes to drive there.

diversity of ethnicites is lacking in the city. it is a huge peeve of mine since i was born and raised in d.c. and spent 7 years in san francisco. it feels and is very white. there is a small african american communty and a somewhat larger asian community. it is home to the largest asian grocery store in the nation. to speak generally and to address your interests of diversity, the cental district is largely african american and the international district in largely asian. as with the above mentioned neighborhoods, capital hill is also a more urban community with higher densities of people and is more expensive to live in. half of capital hill is young. the other half is older and very, very wealthy. queen anne is a nice place and pretty close ot downtown, but you will pay for it. belltown is filled with bars and places to eat and shop and right downtown. it's filled with apts, condos, and lofts. super expensive. a few decent and more residental neighborhoods [w. a cental street for shops] are fremont, wallingford, and ballard. even futher out from downtown are phinney ridge and greenlake. west seattle is nice but rather suburban and feels detacted from the city.

public trans consists of primarily a bus system. it's very good and always on time. my wife takes it to work everyday. the voters just approved the building of a monorail, but any benefits of that won't be seen for many years.

i don't know much about the school system as i don't have kids.

Jan 10, 05 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Thanks e - looked up some of those areas on the Windermere website and it looks like at least right now we could get a somewhat larger house in a decent neighborhood than what we've got in LA... We visited a few years ago and really liked it - had a friend in Queen Anne area which felt pretty close to the city center, went kayaking on lake union after a few margaritas and generally felt pretty good. The lack of diversity seems to be the biggest issue for us - supposedly that will be changing in the future as more immigrants are choosing cities like Seattle over larger more expensive places to live but who is to say. I think ideally we'd like more land, but realistically don't know if we'd survive far from the city center.

Jan 10, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
e

you must have gone kayaking at agua verde near the UW. i go there from time to time. their tacos are great. lemme know if i can be of further help.

Jan 10, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: