Archinect
anchor

Architecture + TV !!!

lifeform

Hey archinecters, can you help me out? I am trying to compile a list of TV shows that have emerged recently that deal with (albeit in a dumb way) architecture. (I dont own a television, so it has been hard.)

so far i only know of:
- This Old House (classic!)
- Trading Spaces

anyone help? thanks people, and happy holidaze.

Dec 23, 04 2:36 pm
Ms Beary

Extreme Makeover house edition

Dec 23, 04 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Dwell TV

16 part series on Architecture by the BBC

Dec 23, 04 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

While You Were Out (If anyone ever did this to me...)
Curb Appeal (Yecch!)
If These Walls Could Talk (Preservation/Renovation)
MTV Cribs
Pimp My Crib (Just kidding - but maybe soon)

Dec 23, 04 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
lifeform

sweet. thanks Straw. and Cam.
i am very out of touch with TV, but i wanted to write something on this phenomenon. any leads will help.

Dec 23, 04 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
lifeform

and Steve.

Dec 23, 04 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

in seinfeld, george alway swanted to be an architect.

Dec 23, 04 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

movie - three men and a baby

Dec 23, 04 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

How are you going to write an article about shows you've never seen?

Basically, HGTV is almost exclusively shows about Home "design" - actually more home decorating, but in the same vein as trading spaces, or while you were out from TLC, originally from BBC.

there's also Monster House on the Discovery Channel.

Dec 23, 04 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
o+

brady bunch dad was an 'architect'

Dec 23, 04 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Fish

PBS has History Detectives, a show where experts try to discover/debunk things about the past. One of the experts is an architecture professor at Columbia named Gwen Wright.

Dec 23, 04 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

suprise by design

Dec 23, 04 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

something about mary--the other guy that liked mary
matrix-the guy that created the matrix world

Dec 23, 04 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
andrew04

In a Fix, on TLC...couples mangle their homes and then bring in this crew to fix it before divorce ensues..."Hey folks, turns out that column was load-bearing."

Dec 23, 04 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

"extreme homes" on hgtv, actually has nice designs that I don't consider to be "extreme"
and almost every car comercial has the Disney concert hall or the Diamond Ranch HS (if those count?)

Dec 23, 04 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
slaprabbit

good stuff. i need a tivo. or ill just record it on my computer.. i need cable tv.

Dec 24, 04 7:50 am  · 
 · 

i haven't seen it in a while b/c i don't have cable anymore, but america's castles on a&e was/is pretty good, if it is still on

Dec 26, 04 11:35 am  · 
 · 
infernocp

Wilbur was an architect on Mr. Ed

Dec 26, 04 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

some frank lloyd wright-esque buildings often appear in the simpsons. for example, in the episode where homer goes to visit his half brother, the car mogul, the half brother's home looks a lot like the robie house. and i'm pretty sure the auto plant has the guggenheim sprial in it. i'm sure there are more examples of renowned architecture appearing in the simpsons but at the moment i can't think of any. can anyone else?

Dec 26, 04 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

CIS on thursday takes place in VEGAS BABY!

Dec 26, 04 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
mm

I recall reading that Frank Gehry had a guest appearance on The Simpsons this season.

Dec 27, 04 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Margine

Martha Stewart although from prison these days.

Dec 27, 04 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

In The Big Lebowski Jackie Treehorn's house was a John Lauter house

Dec 27, 04 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

MARTHA STEWART? MARGINE, just quit!

Dec 28, 04 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

the movie: Life as a House

Dec 28, 04 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

i like that "designer challenge" show where the interior desingers have a showdown and i get to laugh at all the childlike renderings they do in crayon

:)

Dec 29, 04 3:00 am  · 
 · 
archidose

Another movie: Belly of an Architect by Peter Greenaway.

We all have one. A belly, that is.

Dec 29, 04 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Anyone here seen "Three To Tango"? It's got Matthew Perry, and that guy who used to be on Murphy Brown (at least I think it's him), and they're architects entering this competition and it's bloody hilarious. Especially when one of them starts talking about "I pulled 52 all-nighters in my senior year"

Dec 29, 04 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i think they should make a reality show about the first two years of architecture school. that would be interesting.

Dec 30, 04 11:29 am  · 
 · 

would the studio professors vote a student out of the program each week?

Dec 30, 04 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Nip/Tuck on FX takes place in "Miami", although whenever they have an exterior scene, it's clearly in LA...not that Miami has a Style, but I wish the director paid more attention to this.

Dec 30, 04 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitect

J3-

My jaw dropped one night as I watched a drug dealer fucking his girlfriend doggystyle in either Hollyhock or Charles Ennis House on Nip/Tuck. Surely only an architect would be distracted by the building during a sex scene.

Jan 3, 05 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

snarkitect - yes you are absolutely right, I generally get distracted by details when having sex, closing my eyes don't work either makes you start designing

Jan 10, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: