Archinect
anchor

Could you intern for an Arch office without...

ieugenei

I was thinking about interning at an archi office this coming summer. But one problem, i have no b.arch or m.arch... still to young in the process for it, is it likely arch firms will still hire me? I know I'm not going to do be doing any drawing or anything arch related probably. Most likely I'll be doing slave work xeroxing papers, sorting documents, sharpening pencils lol. But I really don't mind as long as it is in a arch office and as long as i get to be in the arch-work environment. I think i could still learn a lot just being in a place surrounded by architects.

Dec 23, 04 1:57 am
c.k.

you could, but it'd be a waste of your time,
better check this, brian frels has some good advice
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=11980_0_42_0_C

Dec 23, 04 2:37 am  · 
 · 

'I think i could still learn a lot just being in a place surrounded by architects.'

This is true, and if they're going to pay you, it's not a bad gig. It might be more useful to you, however, to swing a hammer for a while.

Dec 23, 04 8:39 am  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

real architects will teach you nothing for a few reasons:

A) they are too busy 'designing', or

B) (as it's the summer) they are too busy 'golfing' or doing 'lunch' to teach you a thing.

follow the advice above and get a construction job. you'll earn some cash, get a tan, get in shape and learn about the building process.

Dec 23, 04 8:49 am  · 
 · 

ssb has no idea...doesn't sound like he's ever met a 'real' architect.

Dec 23, 04 8:52 am  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

dude, i have every idea! one rule in our office: no golfing. it's professionally unproductive...and any client that requires golf to woo, is a client who's looking to waste your time and money anyways.

you think you'd actually take (billable) time to invest in a student who's not even in the architectural stream?

if you do (to any extent) i have no sympathy for your fledging firm!

honestly, i love helping out kids in need...which is why i try and steer them away from the architectural profession.

Dec 23, 04 8:58 am  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

hammer and nails are where it's at for kids looking to pursue an architectural gig!

Dec 23, 04 8:59 am  · 
 · 
A

ieugenei, what exactly is your current place in your architectural education? While construction work is always a good learning experience I'm not so cynical about the options of office exposure.

I worked in a firm that would hire kids right out of high school that were going into their first year of undergrad architecture. Yes, sometimes they got jobs like reorganizing the library or playing gopher. One of my 10 minute tasks was to put one guy behind a computer and had him learn some rudimentary AutoCad. Then let him go crazy on something simple like a 2x2 ACT grid. I'm quite sure that student intern gleened much about the reality of architecture. After all, isn't that what you are looking for?

Yes, SSB, we probably did loose money on those employees. After paying them around $10/hr and much lost time from other employees helping them out. Then again, the library wasn't going to organize itself and it would be far more $$ to have a full time employee doing that. Also, all good firms should support education. I speak in high schools all the time about professions in architecture. Yeah, that's time I'm not billable, but are you going to tell me it's a complete waste?

Dec 23, 04 9:15 am  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

NOT A WASTE AT ALL. what i'm saying is that the kids time would be better served on a job site. save your time for the interns...people who will grow with your firm.
and we don't pay slave wages...that's killing the industry! all of our employees make above average incomes, with paid vacation, and bonuses and sick days...which is why they plant roots here.

Dec 23, 04 10:50 am  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

I was thinking about getting an MArch with a history degree, and decided quite naively to get an architecture job beforehand to see if I liked it. I had taken a class in residential AutoCAD drafting in the Construction Management dept. at my University, which did not have an architecture program. So I decided I would just call architecture firms in the area and ask for a job. The first one on the list was looking for someone, and I got a job as a $7 per hour draftsman. I went straight into redlines, and within a month was the only draftsman on some simple projects. By the time I left, a year later, I was project manager of a Burger King/gas station combo (exciting!)

I'm glad I did it, it helped me decide in my mind what I wanted to do, and it also helped a lot when I took those Construction methods classes, but overall it didn't help me out with school too much.

You won't be able to count any hours you work before your first year of MARCH towards IDP anyway, so if you really want to broaden your experience, you might look into working for a construction crew, a furniture maker, or some related aspect of the industry. Once you get started on your internship after school, and into an office, it will be harder to get these related experiences.

Dec 23, 04 10:55 am  · 
 · 
ieugenei

Well my original plans were to attend a summer arch program and take on a construction job. But i'd love to work in a arch. office too. Right now, in terms of academics I just finished my gen-eds and started my courses for my major. soon to be double major once i reach the credit qualification to take on another major. Right now my major is Art History with concentration in Pre-arch and plan to double in Art (BA) (I must of said that on this forum a million times, sorry people).

A, that story about your firm hiring students and teaching them CAD is ideal. If I could find a firm that would hire me and teach me a little bit of CAD, that'd be hot. My school's engineering department offers CAD courses once every other semester i think and it's more geared towards other concepts i believe since the school offeres no structural/civil engineering majors (compsci, electric, mech.).

Dec 23, 04 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
lowryourstds

I have interned for 3 years in 2 different architecture offices... if you are worried about what you will be doing go and work in the field as a concrete worker, construction, roofer, or electrician. anything that you are surrounding yourself with the working knowledge will be invaluable to your career. If you go to an office you are only securing yourself in front of a computer pushing out drawings, thoughtlessly, thinking of how you can get back out into the field using your hands. The Money will also be better in the beginning.

Dec 24, 04 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
lowryourstds

I have interned for 3 years in 2 different architecture offices... if you are worried about what you will be doing go and work in the field as a concrete worker, construction, roofer, or electrician. anything that you are surrounding yourself with the working knowledge will be invaluable to your career. If you go to an office you are only securing yourself in front of a computer pushing out drawings, thoughtlessly, thinking of how you can get back out into the field using your hands. The Money will also be better in the beginning.

Dec 24, 04 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: