Archinect
anchor

college student's summer

designrocks

Hi!

I'm a freshman in architecture looking foward to gaining more experience in the design industry over the summer. As a frehman, I'munqualified for most internships but I was wondering if any of you knew any programs or perhaps if you could share any interesting waysyou spent your summers as a design student and how it will/ has helped you in your career.

Dec 22, 04 6:48 pm
kylemiller

work at a golf course, get wasted every day.... you'll have plenty of time to get a real job later... have fun, you're young

Dec 22, 04 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
e

designrocks,

maybe look into being an office assistant in an architecture office if you don't feel you have the skills. it's never too early to get your foot in the door at whatever level. volunteering for an local organization that might be focusing their effort on something that resonates with your interests. i worked with a professor of mine on urban design and architectural competitions during the first two summers while in had a job delivering pizza and working for the library at my university. at first, i just helped with building models, but it quickly expanded to other things. no pay, but good experience. you could also get a job in the construction industry. i worked a few summers for a small family run firm. learned a lot.

Dec 22, 04 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

design rocks,

Find a job in construction, any job in construction. The more you’re exposed to the better. In fact I'd encourage you to find a small company that does a variety of things rather than one of the larger ones. Your Freshman and Sophomore summers are perfect for this type of job. Spend the summers after your Junior year working in a firm and or traveling abroad.

Sure it would be good to get your foot in the door as an office assistant, but do you really want to work for free? In construction you'll be learning, working, and getting paid. You have the rest of your life to work in an office.

Dec 22, 04 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, brian is right.

Dec 22, 04 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: